cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Event

ladybearbc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
6/04/2020 7:53Data Event BC 1MMS

I don't understand this - this is posted as a data event - but it is going from my phone number to my phone number.

How could that be a data event?

15 REPLIES 15

@ladybearbc wrote:

This makes sense - thank you.

Then the question arises - what is MMS? And why does PM need to callIt

It's not call in the sense that they actually give you a phone call, but the signal goes out to PM to enable data. MMS  is Multimedia Messaging Service, a system that enables mobile phones to send and receive colour pictures and sound clips as well as text messages. Have a great day! Enjoy being part of Public! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ladybearbc wrote:

Then the question arises - what is MMS? And why does PM need to call?

If you do texting then maybe you send pictures or get pictures through texting. Some phones might have a setting to flip in and out cell data automatically to send/receive pictures. Other phones, or that setting off, the cell data needs to be on to send/receive.

If you don't do texting but your phone can then have a look in your texting option on your phone to see what you might have received.

It a version of message but not a call.   Here is more info.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_Messaging_Service

ladybearbc

Then the question arises - what is MMS? And why does PM need to call?

if you are talking about Call Type = Web

Another thread:

Mayor / Maire
Re: Web Call Type

@Debb  If you turn your data off and on or even turn your phone off with data enabled, your phone will call to the public mobile data server. This is to enable mms on your phone

This type of data is free for everyone. So don't worry about it. It's all good. It is removed by pm so in your case, you should always see 0 eventually.

@ladybearbc  There are many reasons why this could be happening. Maybe the WiFi router is setup your work on a schedule etc.

Your best bet is to check your device and find out which applications were using data at that time.

@ladybearbc wrote:

OK - this does not make sense.

I have not been anywhere that I would have needed to use data - I have been at home using my own internet for anything that I needed to check on the web - for the last month (with the exception of 2 trips to grocery stores).

I am not awake at midnight - so unless I am sleepwalking, have not been using my phone for checking out prices on the web.

So...why.... on at least the last 3 nights (probably more - just didn't look) at midnight or 1 AM are there entries in my usage that I have used the web?

(not a big deal because I don't use my phone a lot for browsing - but I will be needing data next month and would not want to go over because of this)

Thank you

@ladybearbc  is your data turned on. Go into settings then to connectivity and mobile data. Turn it off if you are not using it. There could be a bunch of programs running in the background. This is less of a PM issue and more of a phone problem. PM would not charge extra data for anything. It is only measuring what your phone is using. 

Here is an article for iPhone users - Running too much data. 

Here is an article for android users - Running too much data on your android

I really hope these are helpful. 

Have a great day! 

@ladybearbc  your usage history in your self service account is updated in 2 batches at approximately 12 noon and midnight eastern. The one in your plan overview is done in real time. Stay safe. 

Make sure you turn off data.  Maybe you are getting MMS or auto updates for apps.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire
Spoiler

@ladybearbc wrote:

I don't understand this - this is posted as a data event - but it is going from my phone number to my phone number.

@ladybearbc 

I believe it is just your phone buffering and it doesn't actually count towards an event. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ladybearbc 

Likely an app checking on things and that you've permitted it to use cell data or that your phone will use cell data if no wifi. Which is also settable.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You need data enabled for MMS but it does not use your data alotlment.

ladybearbc

OK - this does not make sense.

I have not been anywhere that I would have needed to use data - I have been at home using my own internet for anything that I needed to check on the web - for the last month (with the exception of 2 trips to grocery stores).

I am not awake at midnight - so unless I am sleepwalking, have not been using my phone for checking out prices on the web.

So...why.... on at least the last 3 nights (probably more - just didn't look) at midnight or 1 AM are there entries in my usage that I have used the web?

(not a big deal because I don't use my phone a lot for browsing - but I will be needing data next month and would not want to go over because of this)

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ladybearbc wrote:

Don't worry about it. It's an MMS. MMS doesn't count or consume.

Need Help? Let's chat.