cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Add-on question : which one is used first - plan data or add-on data?

jej0106jej
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just activated $15 per 30 Days plan and have 250 MB available.

I want to buy 1GB data add-on in advance.. just in case of I ever exceed my plan data(250MB).

The question is:

what is used first? plan data or add-on data?

thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

jej0106jej
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

thanks a lot!! Didn't know that I can redeem points for  add on data! Great to know!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@jej0106jej 

Plan data always gets used first. Normally data gets used in the following order:

1. Included monthly plan data.
  2. Promotional recurring monthly bonus plan data.*
  3. Gifted bonus data add ons. (ie. "More is Merrier" holiday bonus data add on)
  4. Promotional bonus data add ons.
  5. Purchased data add ons.

*There is at least one promotion from 2019 that is coded incorrectly that does not consume recurring monthly plan data in the correct order however despite this being pointed out the affected customers have chosen not to pursue a complaint with pm to have this corrected.

10 DAY US Roaming add ons do not affect the consumption of plan data or data add ons with the exception of the $60 Canada/US Roaming plan from 2019 that the pm has come up with a workaround for the rare customer that encounters the issue with roaming add ons and the plan's US roaming 2gb data bucket.

Keep in mind that the SMS data warning texts sent out via 611 from pm at 75% and 95% data usage include all data on the account not just plan data. Adjust your own devices data warning and data limiter to monitor and limit data usage to plan data only so you are fully informed when you are about to start consuming add on data so you don't unknowingly consume all of your data add on due to an errant app or disconnecting from wifi.

You may want to consider @BKNS27 suggestion since you are on the points program you will be able to redeem 10 points ($10) for a 1GB data add on instead of the regular purchase price of $15. Maybe you will not need the data add on until you have accumulated enough points for a redemption. (You should currently have 5.75 points so only 4.25 more points til your first redemption of 10 points/1gb.)

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@jej0106jej 

Why don’t you use up the existing 250mb data first and wait for a notice from PM that you are coming to the end of your data before purchasing an add-on data.

Connect to wifi at home and free wifi from ShawGoWifi or #Telus.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@jej0106jej wrote:

I just activated $15 per 30 Days plan and have 250 MB available.

I want to buy 1GB data add-on in advance.. just in case of I ever exceed my plan data(250MB).

The question is:

what is used first? plan data or add-on data?

thank you.

@jej0106jej  - addons don't expire ( except for 10 roaming ones for use in USA only).

So you can have add-ons on your account and they will only kick in when your plan is used up for that particular cycle.

These adds on will stay on your account until consumed.

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you dont have add-on then your data services will stop at 250MB, no overage.

If you have add-on/bonus/holiday gift in form of additional data then your 250MB of plan data will be used first then from 251st MB it ll dig into your add-on data and it will stop using the add-on data at your renewal when you ll get another 250MB to be used. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Plan data is used first.

Need Help? Let's chat.