cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could this Public Mobile Promo Ever Retun? $60/8.5GB 3G Plan with 2GB US Data, Canada/US Talk & Text

allagelman
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Would be better if Canadian Data Allowance got changed to 15.5GB to match the current $60 Plan. The original plan came out July 19, 2019. Only remained for that summer. Never returned as of yet.

6 REPLIES 6

@allagelman 

As popular as the $60 US/Canada roaming plan was I doubt that it will be brought back for the same reason I believe it was so abruptly discontinued with about 10 hours notice in November 2019. At the time for a mere $10 more than the $50/8.5gb it offered unlimited US roaming calls, texts and 2gb of data and was a mobile industry groundbreaking plan. So much so that telus and koodo foresaw what could be an exodus of premium paying snowbird and business customers flocking to pm for this plan.

When most providers charge on average $10 a day for US roaming so their customers can use their plan allotments while travelling stateside the pm plan was to basically allow the same privilege (but with access to only 2gb of roaming data) for an extra $10 per 30 days! Even with the max roaming rate capped at $120 a month the pm plan could represent a very significant loss of revenue for telus/koodo and it's shareholders.

Even with the pandemic restricting travel most of the lucky pm customers that have that plan realize its value and have no intention to ever give it up.

@allagelman wrote:

Would be better if Canadian Data Allowance got changed to 15.5GB to match the current $60 Plan. The original plan came out July 19, 2019. Only remained for that summer. Never returned as of yet.

Unfortunately, you'll have to choose wthich is better for you. Also, Public Mobile's price plans for higher data usage are pretty bad.  Other carriers, and even other Telus brand, are providing much lower prices for those amounts of data (speaking of plans for use only in Canada).  Public Mobile's main attractions at those price points are the rewards program and that the plans are prepaid.

@allagelman wrote:

@hTideGnow  By which date do you know US is shutting down the 3G network? Yeah who knows Public Mobile might just decide to become like Lucky and not offer any international roaming. That would not be good for PM customers that like to travel.

Hi @allagelman   I think AT&T shutting it down in March and T-Mobile later in the year.  Would love to see how PM responds.  

I saw another post here last week saying Fido Prepaid will no longer able to roam in US next year

allagelman

@hTideGnow  I found out its the start of 2022. It will be interesting to see what happens.

allagelman

@hTideGnow  By which date do you know US is shutting down the 3G network? Yeah who knows Public Mobile might just decide to become like Lucky and not offer any international roaming. That would not be good for PM customers that like to travel.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @allagelman   No one knows what PM decision.  But they need to figure out what to do with US shutting down 3G network first.  We might even loose US roaming add-on if PM not take appropriate action

Need Help? Let's chat.