cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Purchasing an IPhone 7/8 Plus in US

smilingeyes70
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I am using a very slow and end-of-life iPhone 5. It is time for me to upgrade. I want to buy a second-hand iPhone 7 or 8 Plus with a minimum of 64GB storage. An alternate option is a 7 Plus 128GB refurbished phone from the US apple store ($689 USD). This is more than I want to spend but if it becomes clear that this is the best option, I may choose it.

I've looked at Canadian prices for second hand phones from a reputable site like Orchard - they're much more expensive than similar US sites like Gazelle. This site indicates:

CARRIER COMPATIBILITY

Unlocked devices are GSM only and will not work with Sprint, Verizon, US Cellular, or MVNOs using the Sprint or Verizon network.  For international travelers: Unlocked phones will work on most international GSM networks, but may have limited access, depending on carrier.

I'm confused as to whether purchasing an unlocked iPhone 7/8 Plus from Gazelle would allow for full functionality on the Telus network.

Can anyone assist?

11 REPLIES 11

smilingeyes70

It appears that all 3 versions of the 8 Plus are compatible with PM 3G and LTE:

Apple iPhone 8 Plus - Carrier Frequencies Canada, Public Mobile

A1864 (CDMA and China)
Result Carrier Network does not support 2G
Result 850MHz, 1900MHz
Result Band17-700MHz, Band4-AWS, Band2-1900MHz, Band40-2300MHz, Band7-2600MHz
A1897 (Global)
Result 850MHz, 1900MHz
A1898 (Japan)
Result 850MHz, 1900MHz

Total Results: 3

smilingeyes70

Is this unlocked refurbished phone sold on apple.com a compatible iphone to be used on the PM network?

Model A16611

FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30)

TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)

TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)

CDMA EV-DO Rev. A  (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)

UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

...Nobody wanting to continue to use that service will sully their name...

Sorry will13am, I don’t understand this sentence. Please explain what does it means? Woman Embarassed

I see that few users here using RFD. I have joined it in 2010, but was a passive user and just recently become active.

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am my experience with PayPal's "protection" was very awful.  They were less than helpful after I got completely scammed by an eBay seller than never sent me the promised item (which I paid for via PayPal).  I would not count on them helping you out in a pinch.  Your mileage would hopefully vary compared to mine, but never again will I assume that they will have my back should a seller decide to rip me off.  Fortunately it wasn't a ton of money I lost, but it was enough to be a lesson learned.

4 PayPal disputes, 4 refunds. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am my experience with PayPal's "protection" was very awful.  They were less than helpful after I got completely scammed by an eBay seller than never sent me the promised item (which I paid for via PayPal).  I would not count on them helping you out in a pinch.  Your mileage would hopefully vary compared to mine, but never again will I assume that they will have my back should a seller decide to rip me off.  Fortunately it wasn't a ton of money I lost, but it was enough to be a lesson learned.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Friends don't let friends buy from Kijiji or Craigslist.  Too many scammers selling from those sites.  Google how people buy phones with apparently clean IMEIs only to find the phone on the blacklist a few months later.

@will13am fair enough, but you mentioned eBay.  Would it not be just as bad?

For me personally, I would not buy a used phone off a stranger, for just the very risks you identify.  I'd only buy one off someone I know and trust, like a friend, family memeber, colleague, if I were to buy a used phone.  

eBay has certain remedies available to customers.  The most powerful remedy comes by way of PayPal which offers 180 days of purchase protection.  I recommend eBay in a heartbeat.  The RFD recommendation comes from the many years that I have frequented that forum.  The members that have a good reputation buying and selling on that forum are reputable.  I have been a buyer and a seller through their system and I have had all good experiences.  We are rated by our peers for all transactions.  Nobody wanting to continue to use that service will sully their name.  You know me, my recommendations are backed by personal experience as opposed to echolalia. 

srlawren

@will13am wrote:

Friends don't let friends buy from Kijiji or Craigslist.  Too many scammers selling from those sites.  Google how people buy phones with apparently clean IMEIs only to find the phone on the blacklist a few months later.

@will13am fair enough, but you mentioned eBay.  Would it not be just as bad?

For me personally, I would not buy a used phone off a stranger, for just the very risks you identify.  I'd only buy one off someone I know and trust, like a friend, family memeber, colleague, if I were to buy a used phone.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am ...and Craigslist, Kijiji, etc.....

@smilingeyes70 as for technical compatibility, a US model should be fine with PM.  That note about Sprint, Verizon, and the MVNOs is because Sprint and Verizon still use CDMA as their 3G network (2.5G maybe? LOL) and does not apply to Public Mobile.  This US model would have been intended for use on AT&T or T-Mobile, and will work fine with Public Mobile.

If you can find out the exact model number (usually an "A" followed by like 5 or 6 numbers I think, for Apple products) then you can use willmyphonework.net to double-check.

The other requirement as @will13am noted is that the device needs to be unlocked, as in not locked to the US carrier it originated from (or in some cases was first used at, even if sold unlocked at an Apple store).  

Canadian devices are far less hassle ...

Buy from AT&T or TMobile

Stay away from CDMA carriers

srlawren

@will13am ...and Craigslist, Kijiji, etc.....

@smilingeyes70 as for technical compatibility, a US model should be fine with PM.  That note about Sprint, Verizon, and the MVNOs is because Sprint and Verizon still use CDMA as their 3G network (2.5G maybe? LOL) and does not apply to Public Mobile.  This US model would have been intended for use on AT&T or T-Mobile, and will work fine with Public Mobile.

If you can find out the exact model number (usually an "A" followed by like 5 or 6 numbers I think, for Apple products) then you can use willmyphonework.net to double-check.

The other requirement as @will13am noted is that the device needs to be unlocked, as in not locked to the US carrier it originated from (or in some cases was first used at, even if sold unlocked at an Apple store).  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The Canadian sourced phones will all be unlocked for sure based on the current wireless code.  The US sourced phones don't have the same protection.  I am not an iPhone user but from what I have read, unlocking is quite expensive.  Coupled with the hassle of going to the US to get one, I am not sure if there is a savings at the end of the day.  As a member of the red flag deals forum, I find their buy, sell and trade forum to be quite a good resource.  There is also eBay.ca

Need Help? Let's chat.