cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection issues

Jen08
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

For the last few months we have been having one heck of a time using our phones. Constantly having connection issues. Constantly dropping calls. It's extremely frustrating!! And because public mobile is all online I cannot seem to get a hold of anyone to find out what the issue is. Any suggestions?? @CS_Agent 

15 REPLIES 15

Jen08

I switched my preferred network to LTE and that seemed to have helped 

Jen08

I switched my preferred network to LTE and it seemed to help.

Goaway
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Update to this.  The SIM card didn't help, it's just that intermittent. Sometimes I have as many as 3 days without issues, other days it's every hour or two.  It's been about 2 months of this and I give up.

I spent some time talking with a Telus network tech who said it's Shaw equipment causing interference in my part of Edmonton so it probably isn't going away.  I have 2 phones and 2 accounts.  I spent more time looking over network logs on than I'd like on both... At the same time on both devices it looks like I lose band 4, they switch to band 7, then after a few minutes I lose band 7 and lose all cell connection.  After a few moments the networks start to reappear.  One phone I usually have to restart to get it to register, the other one recovers on its own.

The only solution the tech and I could come up with was try switching to a carrier that supports WiFi calling.

Goaway

Well, replacing the SIM card with a brand new one seems to have done it. My phone hasn't dropped out in nearly 48 hours.  It even says it is connecting to 5G now (with 4G speed limits).  I didn't get VoLTE back (it used to work) but my phones aren't listed as officially supported so I am not too surprised.

I'll have to try it on my other lines as well.

I don't know if I somehow managed to damage multiple SIMs in multiple phones at the same time, or if the network changes over the last couple months didn't agree with them because they are several years old, or if changing the SIM re-provisioned something behind the scenes... but a new $10 SIM seems to be the solution.

@Jen08 wrote:

I love in a small town in southwest Ontario. About an hour east of Windsor. We never had issues and now everyone I know seem to be having issues.

My husband is on 3g only and still has the same issues. 

@Jen08 

what phone do you have?  brand and model?

i wonder if VoLTE helps

You can check the VoLTE compatibility here:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte
If you have a compatible one try to turn on VoLTE

iPhone: Likely no extra work need to do as Telus will enable by default but hide the option.  Still you can check
                 Settings->Cellular->Cellular Data Options->Voice & Data, enable 4G or LTE there
Pixel Likely no extra work need to do as Telus will enable by default but hide the option.  Still you can check
                Settings->Network and Internet->Internet, click on the settings icon besides SIM 1, turn on 4G calling there
Samsung/ Other Android: Settings->Connection->Mobile Data, enable VoLTE there

Now, turn off Wifi first. Check if the phone status bar showing it is connected to 4G or LTE

Then make some calls, see if the signal indicator shows LTE or drop back to H or 3G while you are on the calls.  If it stays with LTE, then yes, you are using VoLTE, and you can see if calls are any better.  

Publicrocks501

Just joined Public from Virgin and transfered to Bell since I had connection issues 

Jen08

I love in a small town in southwest Ontario. About an hour east of Windsor. We never had issues and now everyone I know seem to be having issues.

My husband is on 3g only and still has the same issues. 

Goaway

I'm in Edmonton Alberta. I've tested with a OnePlus 8T, Xiaomi A1, and Pixel 6. Android 11,12,13 with a bunch of different updates/firmwares/modems.  Rolled back to different Android versions, upgraded again. Stock ROMs, custom images, forcing 3g/4g/5g, network resets, reset phones to factory multiple times.

I didn't have any issues for 5-6 years, it started fairly spontaneously around the time 5G was rolled out.

I changed my plan after the issues started, and today I am trying a brand new SIM on one of my lines. If that doesn't solve it I don't know what else to do but switch carriers.

Different phones behave slightly differently, some recover better than others and don't need restarts, but the problem is always no service/can't connect to network.  Changing towers often seems to be a trigger.

abcde111

Iphone XR, but its been like this through 3 iphones, and now a new samsung 22.   after a few times of raising my hand with the issue i give up. it been forever- I'm just doomed to bad reception, I'm on the NW outskirts of Barrie ON at top of a ski hill.  - that's probably why.  I'm off in search of a better signal.   Tired of friends complaining about their calls going straight to VM without even ringing.  Other than this issues I'm  totally satisfied with PM, but this is a big issue.  I changed it before to lte or 3 g or something,  when someone mentioned it but it didnt make a diff.   anyway I think I'm only on 3 g anyway, 

@abcde111 @Goaway 

what phone do you have? and which city and province?

what have you tried so far? did you try changing the network to 3G only and see if it helps?

abcde111

Same I'm switching this has been going on for years  dropped calls, no calls coming in , poor signal.  sometimes i cant even call out. Now that would be really problematic in emergency 

Goaway

I've been having the same issues for the last couple months as well. The agents haven't been able to pinpoint it yet.

@ publicrocks510 wrote:

Same I have the same issue I am switching to Bell prepaid because of this same problem 

@Publicrocks501  you are switching? did you just join?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Jen08  Try putting your network to 3G and test calling see if it improves . . If it does leave it like that for a day and switch it back to LTE or 5G 

but if you like to submit with support to investigate here’s how 

private message   To CS_Agents click          

VVVVV      Link below    VVVVV

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Publicrocks501

Same I have the same issue I am switching to Bell prepaid because of this same problem 

Need Help? Let's chat.