cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chosing a smartphone

DinoFlint
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

In the good old days if you had a phone you were god to go.

Today there are thousands of options

I would like a fast an unlocked double SIM + SDcard not expensive phone that works in Canada, but my head is spinning due to the options avaiable

Any ideas?

I like qualcomm snapdragon 855 cips :]

18 REPLIES 18

@gblackma 

Play Store is not installed on all Android-based devices. For some devices meant to be used in some regions, the manufacturer isn't allowed to install it.

@on2wheels doesn't the google play store come when you add your Google account? Thanks. 

on2wheels

Re the Realme X2 pro, I just received the non Pro version from aliexpress, and I'm impressed with the hardware itself but it was advertised as Global Version and when I was setting it up it didn't have the google play store built in, many settings and preloaded apps were and still are written in chinese, despite setting the system language to US English. 

I was able to get past most issues thanks to youtube videos (that I could understand) showing how to get the Play store loaded, but it's still a far cry from being as easy as my xiaomi miA1 was.  There really is nothing like an android One phone for simplicity.

If anyone is considering a Realme phone please consider all your options.  I had a list of wants for my next phone and the X2 fit each one but I still may end up flashing a custom ROM someday if I can find an easy tutorial how to do it.

Use gsmarena.com Phone Finder to choose your features and sort results by price, that's how I narrowed down my list.  But I think I'll go back to an android One phone next if they can get a powerful enough chipset.

https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?

Bubba

"I would like a fast an unlocked double SIM + SDcard not expensive phone that works in Canada, but my head is spinning due to the options avaiable"

That is still pretty expensive and will be hard to find on a budget devise. Probably only top flagship type brands

Smart Phones now are like...

obvioulsy...they were alawys like computers.  So You need to decide starting by choosing spec as if you were buying a computer

amount of money you have to spend**

storage space

RAM

processor

type of glass screen/ phone body (glass, plastic, metal)  nonsese if you are into a phones as a fashion acessory.

Decide how much you have and start looking at phone. Do you have money for a name brand or are emerging chinese brand good enough for you . Do you want to pay for branded products like samsung or no name chinese and cheaper known american brands like Blu

Most brands are introducting cheaper brand to compete with the cheaper chinese brands

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@DinoFlint  My best advice to you is get something at the store or on Kijiji, new or old, doesn't really matter.

You buy a new phone and it's outdated in a year or two any way so you are lead to believe you have to buy another... Keep what you got. Smiley Happy

As a prime example my smartphones are "ancient" in contrast to what's "new".

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and iPhone SE...

The iPhone SE is actually plenty fast it just has the deathly burden of being under Apple's ecosystem.

The Galaxy Note 4 is slow but does the trick for me. I use it for YouTube and Discord mostly.

I have had mid-tier phones and I have had high-tier phones... the mid-tier and even some low-tier can do everything the high-tier can just without all the extra features that you pay a criminal fee for.

DinoFlint

What do you think about the Realme X2 Pro?

DinoFlint

Umidigi F2is on my short list

@gblackma wrote:

My mom has an umidigi. I hate that you require a pin to open the dual sim slot. Other than that its a quality phone.

I really got a chuckle out of this comment.  Name a recently made phone in the past say 5 years that has a removable back piece to enable access to the SIM tray and battery.  The last phone I bought which has a removable back is the Oppo Find 7.  This phone was made in 2014. 

BTW, you know that the IP rating is for this type of design?  It won't survive a millisecond in water.  

DinoFlint

The OnePlus 7T doen't have a SD card and comes with a crappy battery

DinoFlint

My budget is for an used Ford Fiesta but my requirements are for a new Ferrari :]

Lets say the budget is around $200-600

@Loki1025 wrote:

Be careful as many non-name branded phones do not have (or only have limited) compatibility to Public Mobile's network.  If you are in the Vancouver area I can suggest a retail store that sells name-brand Dual SIM phones - message me.

I would not suggest a phone that did not work in Canada.  The Umidigi F2 has all bands that every Canadian carrier uses even band 66 from Freedom Mobile.  Those so called name-brand Dual SIM phones are probably import models from overseas that don't have proper warranties.  

My mom has an umidigi. I hate that you require a pin to open the dual sim slot. Other than that its a quality phone.

Loki1025
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Be careful as many non-name branded phones do not have (or only have limited) compatibility to Public Mobile's network.  If you are in the Vancouver area I can suggest a retail store that sells name-brand Dual SIM phones - message me.

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you want something cheap but good check out the Umidigi phones on Amazon. I have the F1 and for $239 it has 128 GB internal memory, a crazy long battery and is really fast. It can do dual sim or 1 sim and 1 SD card and comes with a case and screen protector. Some of the newer models can do 2 SIM plus sd, and are cheaper than the F1. Plus it works great on PM.

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The most important thing is to ensure a high level of compatibility with the PM network.

@DinoFlint wrote:

In the good old days if you had a phone you were god to go.

Today there are thousands of options

I would like a fast an unlocked double SIM + SDcard not expensive phone that works in Canada, but my head is spinning due to the options avaiable

Any ideas?

I like qualcomm snapdragon 855 cips :]

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

If you narrow the choices down to SD855 CPU only, it is a pretty short list.  Add on top, dual SIM and micro SD slot and you are down to next to nothing to choose from.  I think the OnePlus option is all that you have to choose from.  Carrier phones will never come with dual SIM.  If you relax the CPU requirement, I think the Umidigi F2 might suit your needs.  This phone uses the mediatek line of CPUs.  The F2 CPU is on par with the SD835.  This phone is also priced accordingly.  I got it for under $200 on Aliexpress during the 11.11 sale.  It is around $300 on Amazon.ca.  

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

What's your budget.  And what is the The order of your list. Then   people can recommend phones.

I think you will need to get a udimigi or possibly Redmi phone to meet some not all your requirements 

Need Help? Let's chat.