cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chatr => Freedom Mobile => Public Mobile

Antony_B
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there!

I have been with Freedom Mobile for 2 years and switched today to Public Mobile, sweet data deal made my decision simpler. 

It took me 50 minutes to get the message that my transfer request was completed successfully, at the same time signal on Freedom's card went away. Transferring was a smooth process, I used Internet Explorer as suggested here, website was loading for 3 minutes when it was verifying that number can be ported and when it was processing the payment. For some reason, when I first clicked "Check number availability" it loaded for three minutes and then loading icon disappeared, I clicked that button again and then at the same moment it asked to enter either account number, or pin. Hopefully, it can be helpful for somebody.

I can confirm that OnePlus 5 works perfectly, I have 4G even in the basement of the house. And for now, PM IMEI checking utility says that this handset is not supported. Don't be confused with this. 

I also have a question. I have a friend who is with Chatr, and wants to get PM deal as well. 

As far as I understand, he has to get an active account with Freedom Mobile, transfer it to Public Mobile, wait till bonus data is applied and then port his Chatr number. And if it is correct, how do we port Chatr number to Public Mobile using self-service?  I've tried "Change number" link, but it asks whether I want to get a new number or transfer number from Public Mobile.

13 REPLIES 13

@CuongTran wrote:

I used to Freedom mobile and now, I want to change to Public mobile. How I can change it with my number?

You need an active account at Freedom to port it to Public Mobile.  If you deactivated it recently, you might be able to get it reactivated.  After doing that, you can port it to Public Mobile just as any other Freedom Mobile phone number.  The number's history of it being at different carriers before wouldn't make any difference.  If you can't get your Freedom Mobile phone number reactivated, you'll need to take a new phone number at Public Mobile.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CuongTran wrote:

I used to Freedom mobile and now, I want to change to Public mobile. How I can change it with my number?

Did you read this whole thread you found?

You used the word "used" in what seemed to be a past tense way. Bringing your number from another provider needs that service to still be active.

@CuongTran wrote:

@CuongTran  Read this and let us know if you have any questions.

CuongTran
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Antony_B

Hey guys,

Just wanted to provide an update.

I transferred 3 friends to Freedom Mobile Promo, one was with Chatr and two with Koodo.

Activation and transfer from Freedom Mobile was a kind of a hassle, for each of the numbers I had to wait about 48 hours to get a full service and applied promo data package. 

Number porting from Chatr and Koodo was smooth indeed, it was fully done in 50 minutes. For Koodo friends, I opened Public Mobile account using different from Koodo account email. I used Internet Explorer for PM Self-service account and cleaned cache and history every time I finished with a number.

Thanks to community members for giving advice and mods for fast support.

Welcome to the PM family!!

Antony_B
It is just awesome. I used to have a low cost phone before this, so OnePlus obviously gives a great user experience. Great screen, strong connectivity, smooth OxygenOS, fast memory.

If anybody has questions about it, I'll be happy to answer them

@Antony_B, how is the new phone?!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Antony_B wrote:

Hi there!

I have been with Freedom Mobile for 2 years and switched today to Public Mobile, sweet data deal made my decision more simple. 

It took me 50 minutes to get the message that my transfer request was completed successfully, at the same time signal on Freedom's card went away. Transferring was a smooth process, I used Internet Explorer as suggested here, website was loading for 3 minutes when it was verifying that number can be ported and when it was processing the payment. For some reason, when I first clicked "Check number availability" it loaded for three minutes and then loading icon disappeared, I clicked that button again and then at the same moment it asked to enter either account number, or pin. Hopefully, it can be helpful for somebody.

I can confirm that OnePlus 5 works perfectly, I have 4G even in the basement of the house. And for now, PM IMEI checking utility says that this handset is not supported. Don't be confused with this. 

I also have a question. I have a friend who is with Chatr, and wants to get PM deal as well. 

As far as I understand, he has to get an active account with Freedom Mobile, transfer it to Public Mobile, wait till bonus data is applied and then port his Chatr number. And if it is correct, how do we port Chatr number to Public Mobile using self-service?  I've tried "Change number" link, but it asks whether I want to get a new number or transfer number from Public Mobile.

Thanks for posting your positive experience.  I am glad to see that you did some reading took the advice and all went smoothly

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Welcome aboard, @Antony_B!  

Hope you enjoy the awesome LTE coverage and savings as much as I do.  

Antony_B
Thanks guys!

We'll try it, and I'll post here how it goes

mimmo
Yes your friend needs a freedom acount and port as you did. When bonus arrives you go to the screen you were in and select port a number. Its basically the same process you went through.

Your froend will need to call chatr and ask for the account number as it is not availble otherwise

SD08

@Antony_B wrote:
how do we port Chatr number to Public Mobile using self-service?  I've tried "Change number" link, but it asks whether I want to get a new number or transfer number from Public Mobile.

If you choose "transfer number from Public Mobile", it includes porting from another carrier.  It actually says: Transfer a wireless or wireline number from Public Mobile or another provider.

Need Help? Let's chat.