cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged with Ontario taxes (13%) but I live in Alberta

AL11E
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My address in the system/on my account is Alberta but on my recent bill I noticed I was charged 13% (Ontario) tax. How do I request public mobile to adjust/fix this? @CS_Agent 

3 REPLIES 3

@Dunkman wrote:

@AL11E 

Public mobiles bills the taxes according to the area code of the phone number.  Not address or physical location.  You can change your phone number to an Alberta area code and you should be charged only 5% on your next payment date. 

If you want to keep your Ontario number, you can purchase payment vouchers in store in Alberta and only pay 5% tax.  Shoppers, gas stations (like Shell), London drugs, Canadian Tire are a few stores that sell payment vouchers. 

For greater clarity, the rules for tax collection comes from government not Public Mobile.  Public Mobile is obligated to collect taxes according to applicable statutes and remit to the government.

@AL11E 

Public mobiles bills the taxes according to the area code of the phone number.  Not address or physical location.  You can change your phone number to an Alberta area code and you should be charged only 5% on your next payment date. 

If you want to keep your Ontario number, you can purchase payment vouchers in store in Alberta and only pay 5% tax.  Shoppers, gas stations (like Shell), London drugs, Canadian Tire are a few stores that sell payment vouchers. 

Need Help? Let's chat.