cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing phone number - timing and choice?

TomT
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I moved to a different area code a couple of months ago, and I'd like to change my phone number at some point, so that I'll have the local area code.  I know how to do this (Self Service, Plans and Add ons, Change Phone Number) - but I have two questions about the process.

First, how long does the change take?  The computers where I work require two-factor authentication, and will sometimes ask me to confirm my login, at any random time during my working day.

Second, how does the number change process work?  Do I need to specifically request my local area code?  Does it give me a selection of phone numbers to choose from, or is it assigned arbitrarily from whatever numbers are available at the time?

2 REPLIES 2

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@TomT 

Changing your phone number is really very simple. Log in. Click on change number. Then choose your province and your local calling area or city. You will be given 5 options. Choose another area to refresh your options and go back to your preferred calling area. You may have the option to choose from several areas....

For example in Vancouver you could also select from or go back and forth to SURREY, NORTH VANCOUVER, NEW WESTMINSTER, VANCOUVER, DELTA, COQUITLAM etc.....however a desirable area code such as (604) can be very difficult to find but by checking the local calling area rate plan you can discover a gem like the southern gulf island of SECHELT is within the lower mainland's local calling area and still offers up (604) and (778) phone numbers.

You can change your number up to four times per 30 days. So you may want to consider changing your number temporarily to an Alberta number. Your plan charges or manual top up payments are based on your area code (province). By choosing an Alberta area code such as (780) and topping up your account (ie. $100+5% gst only=$105) you will save your provincial sales tax rate (up to 10%). After topping up you can then choose your new permanent phone number.

Considering the constraints your job has requiring random verification codes for logins you may want to wait to change your phone number at the start of your "weekend" so if there are any delays in receiving 2FA short code texts 48 hours should cover any wait times you may experience (usually only an issue when porting a phone number in) just to be on the safe side.

Make sure any accounts you have that will need to be updated with your new phone number have a secondary recovery method set up before changing your phone number. Once you release your current number it will go back to its original provider. If it was a non telus family number recovering it need be....would be difficult and costly.

Otherwise you can always peruse some of your choices in the change number feature of your self serve account ahead of time to get an idea of the area codes and prefixes that will be available to you and what city or area you will want to narrow your search to for your final selection. Happy number hunting!📞😀☎️

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@TomT wrote:

Hi, I moved to a different area code a couple of months ago, and I'd like to change my phone number at some point, so that I'll have the local area code.  I know how to do this (Self Service, Plans and Add ons, Change Phone Number) - but I have two questions about the process.

First, how long does the change take?  The computers where I work require two-factor authentication, and will sometimes ask me to confirm my login, at any random time during my working day.

Second, how does the number change process work?  Do I need to specifically request my local area code?  Does it give me a selection of phone numbers to choose from, or is it assigned arbitrarily from whatever numbers are available at the time?

Your phone number only makes a difference for the people who are calling you. It will make zero difference to you for making or reciving calls.  Changing a phone number happens instantly.  You need to log in to your account at selfserve.publicmobile.ca and click on the Plans&Add-Ons section tab.  Then go to the Change Phone Number option. When changing your number, you'll need to choose the desired city.  Once you do that, you'll be given the choice of a few different available phone numbers.

Need Help? Let's chat.