cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Plans Question.

Greg45
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi everyone (and anyone who can answer TWO questions)

A) I am currently on the $30. for 30 day plan but I see I can have a $25/mth plan and double my data from 500mb to 1gig. I have just (happily) crossed over my one year with Public mobile and am receiving my $1/mth discount.  

Does changing plans cancel my $1./mth discount and reset me back to 0 months. (It would appear that it doesn't but better ask first right?) My monthly renewel is up in a few days so I would appreciate any answers a.s.a.p.

B) The plan above (both options) use a 3G network. If I purchased a new phone that claims to have only "4G" would it still work on public mobile. It specifically does not mention 2G or 3G. Its Network mode: GSM/WCDMA ?  (my guess is that it will still run on 3G but I won't be getting 4G speeds, still, I could use some clarification because all of this is not my forte)

Thank you in advance to the great family of advisors and gurus for your help.

Sincerely, Greg

14 REPLIES 14

@Greg45 Wihtout knowing the model number and/or frequencies and network types that it supports would need to be known to check if it is compatible with Public Mobile.

Greg45

Hi GINYVR,

If you could, tell me what you think of this phone and does it give me enough information to know that it would work on public mobile?

6.3" Android 9.1, 10-core processor, 8Gbram + 128Gb storage, 8mp + 16mp cameras, 2320 x 1080 display with fingerprint/face ID.

Price $137. + 17del Cdn.

Description
Product Features:
CPU: MTK6595 Octa Core (Upgrade 10 Cores, Speed up 65%)
System: Android 9.1
RAM+ROM: 8GB+128GB
Screen Type: 6.3 inch Touch Screen: Support Capacitive
Screen Resolution: 2320x1080
Battery: 6000mAh Lithium-ion battery
Network : 2G, 3G, 4G
Network mode: GSM/WCDMA
Sim: Dual SIM Card Dual Standby (Support TF Card)
Camera type: Dual Rear Camera One Front Camera
Camera Pixel: Front Camera: 8.0 MP Rear Camera:: 16.0 MP
Software: Play Store, Air, Distance, Gesture, Smart Wake, Calculator, Calendar, Alarm, Camera, Gallery Latest features:Face/Fingerprint Unlock.
Additional Product Features: GPS: Yes,Built in, Also support A-GPS,Support voice navigation (navigation program not included)
WiFi: Support 802.11 b/g/n wireless, support hot spot Bluetooth: Support Bluetooth 4.0 Sensor: Light sensor , Acceleration sensor , Direction sensor Message: MMS,SMS, Email, Gmail Audio Out Port: 3.5mm USB Port: Micro-USB2.0
Other Features : Play Store, Air Distance Gesture, Smart Wake, Calculator, Calendar, Alarm, Camera Gallery, Video Recorder, Audio Player, Sound Recorder ,FM Radio, Email, Gmail, Flashlight, etc

Package contents: 1 x Smartphone 1 x Charger 1 x Earphone 1 x User Manual

It seems like a good price for the features if it will work on Public Mobile?
Is there any specific into that is missing I should be watching for in looking at a new phone?
Thank you for your time,
Greg

Greg45

I looked it up... nice phone!

I actually searched out that model on Wish dot com and could only find cases for it, but here is an example:

P30 Pro 6.3 Inch Water Drop Screen SmartPhone 8G Ram+256G Rom Android 9.1 MTK6797 10 Core Dual SIM Card Dual Standby 8.0 MP + 16.0 MP GPS GSM 3G WCDMA Smartphone

with face/fingerprint ID for $88. Cdn + $17 shipping, however, it doesn't have 4G but it gives you an idea of what you get for around a $100. 🙂  I will however further search your suggestion. I was thinking of 6g of ram as a minimum.

Greg

Greg45

Thank you... for all the help and advise.

I've seen some that have 2g 3g and 4g for around 150 Cdn... I don't live on my phone so 3G is fine for me but at some point we will probably all be forced to upgrade to a 4G network (sort of like the end of analog)  Appreciate the suggestion and time taken.

ps: check out the Wish app for cell phones - crazy good prices and reviews. I also have a 15% discount coupon to use. 

pss: New users get a 50% on their first purchase with an internet promo code 😉

Cheers, Greg

@Greg45If your phone is like this: https://www.amazon.ca/6-1inch-Octa-Core-Recognition-Expansion-Gradient/dp/B07W75WLBK

Do note it only have Band 2, so your voice communication coverage will not be optimal because it is missing Band 5, not sure how it can be "optional"

Also it doesn't have LTE, it is not a 4G phone.

Greg45

Thank you to everyone who replied most effecitvely!  All the answers given were spot on and each and everyone deserves to be chosen as the best solution. I simply picked the first post to arrive that was helpful. I wish I could simply give all three credit as you all deserve it.

@ChuckYeah  @GR and @GinYVR 

Cheers and my sincere thanks, Greg

@Greg45 if you are looking for recommendations i was recommend umidigi a5 pro recently and it has amazing specs and good review, Amazon had it for 170cad, but the person who recommended it said if i shop around i can find it for up to 50 less

Greg45

Thank you for your replay 🙂

It's just a knock-off from China (P31pro) for $100.00 plus $17. delivery on Wish.

It's got Android 9.1, 6.3" screen, (avg battery @ 4800Mah) camera 8/16,  6gb/128gb 1960x1080 HD screen.... I don't use it a lot but I really need a better version of android than my 3 yr old 6.1 😞

Greg45

Thank for the quick reply, much appreciate 🙂

Greg

Greg45

Thank you for the quick reply 🙂

I rarely use the "phone" feature but I do like it for my apps and MS Office (excel), but that said, if you can't make a phone call in an emergency... what good is the phone?  The only thing I am sure of is not giving up Public Mobile!  The phone search will have continue...

Thank you again!

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@Greg45A. Changing your plan will not affect your discount.

B. Public Mobile works on LTE ie 4G but throttled to "3G like" speed, unless you had an old grandfathered full speed LTE plans. Actually if you switch to 3G mode, there is a possiblity depending on network condition you will run faster than the throttled LTE speed.

The network mode for 3G should be UMTS

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

You can switch without worrying, it's the tome you spent with pm that counts

For the phone, many advertised 4g also do have 3g frequencies. You should look it up, 3g is important for talk and text, you would need 850 and 1900 mhz

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Greg45  for the first question you won't lose the loyalty discount, you can log in and click on change plan to the plan you want and click on next renewal so it will change in a few days on your renewal day.

For the 2nd question what kind of phone is it exactly? You should look it up on willmyphonework.net 

If it's only 4g the text and data will work but not the calls because public mobile uses 3g for all calls! 

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

A no. All rewards will stay.

B your phone must have 3g support for calling so no. As for data. If you choose LTE, you will receive throttled 3mbs data.

What phone are you looking at?

Need Help? Let's chat.