cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot make local calls, they all say they are long distance issue

chanrobi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi guys,

How do I resolve this issue? People I normally call who are obviously local now all return the message, this is long distsance and you do not have a long distsance plan. 

I have province wide unlimted calling and i've only noticed this issue in the last 2-3 weeks as I don't call people.

11 REPLIES 11

Are you getting the message that says long distance charges may apply?  You simply could be calling a phone number that is within your province, but due to historical land line setups, it's deemed a long distance call, and should be dialed 1-(xxx)-yyy-zzzz.

When I lived in Cambridge ON, there were 3 distinct calling centres (Galt, Preston, and Hespeler), which are still treated differently in LD calling.  

Galt and Preston can call Kitchener-Waterloo (two separate Citys, however one calling centre) locally, but Hespeler is a long distance call.  Hespeler however, can call the City of Guelph, and the rest of Cambridge can't unless they use LD.

Try setting up your contacts with +1 in front, this generally will eliminate the message above.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

I get it intermittently. But it is very rare and usually works when I hang up and redial the number.

tsm28

Had this happen earlier tonight when I was out.  Just tried again now that I'm home and it's working again.

Have you tried multiple times and it never works on certain numbers or is it an intermittent occurrence?

chanrobi

Nope.

I haven't moved, and neither have any of the businesses and friends I usually call. I call from my home which is nowhere near a provincial boundary or the border. 

chanrobi

I've contacted the mod team, zero response, 6 days after I messaged them. 

Just terrible.

Another suggestion, sometimes newer "now available" local exchanges are not immediately updated.  You may need to supply same phone number data to help pinpoint the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try Lloydminster. Same town. Same name. Same place. Divided by a provincial boundary.

cmatassa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@chanrobi Do you live near a provincial border?  There are cases where someone you consider local is actually long-distance because they aren't in the same province, yet they are so close to you.  I know this issue happens a lot for people in Ottawa neighboring the City of Gatineau which is only minutes away, yet a different province.

chanrobi

Awesome thanks, I read the help page and it wasn't entirely clear how I reach a moderator. 

Your post was straight and to the point.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@chanrobi, it sounds like your account may have provisioning issues with the calling feature.  I suggest contacting the moderator team and getting them to look into this.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Refer to the following knowledge base link for information on contacting the moderator team.

Need Help? Let's chat.