cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Access Data Network or Edit/Add APN

ontariosewing
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello:

I am using an Asus X00ID on Android 8.1.0 and after looking up why I can't access the network I find that I cannot add or edit the APN names.  The only available APN names are Telus and Koodoo, which both have slightly different settings, and neither one can be edited.  The menu only the offers the option to reset, which does nothing, no option to add.  Because of this I can't sent MMS messages or access the mobile Data network so I can use Hangouts instead.

Any ideas, or do I need another carrier?

7 REPLIES 7

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@ontariosewing glad you sorted it out with a freedom sim. You're all set now to enjoy the savings. If you used a referral code when activating the $10 credit will be applied to your account within 72 hours.

Welcome to Public Mobile 🙂

ontariosewing

That is what I specifically asked for, but I was sent a video link instead showing how to install a third party launcher app.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ontariosewing wrote:

The moderators couldn't help. They could only suggest a third party launcher app that also did not work.  Luckily I was able to use my neighbor's freedom mobile SIN card and for whatever incomprehensible reason that DOES work.

The knowledge transfer leaves much to be desired around this place. Some users have said that they've received some kind of file via text that will put in the APN.

ontariosewing

The moderators couldn't help. They could only suggest a third party launcher app that also did not work.  Luckily I was able to use my neighbor's freedom mobile SIN card and for whatever incomprehensible reason that DOES work.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@ontariosewing try resetting your network settings

open settings
scroll down to system
tap on reset options
tap reset wifi,mobile & Bluetooth
tap reset settings and restart

hopefully it will grab the correct settings without editing the apn

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@ontariosewing wrote:

Hello:

I am using an Asus X00ID on Android 8.1.0 and after looking up why I can't access the network I find that I cannot add or edit the APN names.  The only available APN names are Telus and Koodoo, which both have slightly different settings, and neither one can be edited.  The menu only the offers the option to reset, which does nothing, no option to add.  Because of this I can't sent MMS messages or access the mobile Data network so I can use Hangouts instead.

Any ideas, or do I need another carrier?

@ontariosewing  Some Android 8.1 phones do not allow you to enter APNs. The workaround is to get a hold of a Freedom SIM or a ROAM.com SIM and use that to add the Public Mobile APN.

Another option is to submit a ticket to Public Mobile and ask them to send you a special text to your device that will automatically add the correct APN settings.

To submit a ticket to the Moderator Team, please start a conversation with the Public's virtual assistant, SIMon by clicking  here or the icon (bottom right of your screen).

s.JPG

If you are still having problems contacting Public Mobile then click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

An issue with many phones.

You will either have to get your hands on a Freedom Mobile sim card. That should grant you access to add/edit APN settings if they're greyed out. 

Another thing you can try is contacting the moderators. Apparently they can send you an APN config file that installs to your phone with the correct APN.

To reach moderators

Simon.JPG

Or send them a private message at this link

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.