cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get phone to work!

GustyStarfish
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@CS_Agent 

We are having nothing but trouble getting my son's phone line to work.  

Re: Ticket ID:13***8-103 Service not working A2013-B Hi there Chris, Thank you for contacting us. Happy to help:) I just checked your PM account and I observed that you have activated with a temporary ph#*************** and then you ported in your old number. The sim card#******************* is activated, but the transfer failed because the line was cancelled prior to the transfer. Please contact your old service provider (Bell) and resume the line in order to resubmit port over. Looking for your reply. Thank you kindly! Violette

It was in fact the opposite.  I tried to sign my son up with his Bell imported number and it wasn't working so we decided to change to a Public Mobile number which is #*************.  Then this morning we get the reply;

Re: Ticket ID:13****-103 Service not working A2013-B
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply:)

As you may know with prepaid services we can change the phone number once every 30 days after you have activated. The request for the port of the ph#7********** was cancelled, due to an inactive line from the old service provider. Therefore you can keep the temporary ph#1************** because we can't change the phone number for now. For more details please check out the link below:

https://bit.ly/2WyyhHU

Thank you kindly!

Violette

So what you are saying is that we have a completely useless phone plan that we've pre-payed for and now we just have to wait and hope for the number to magically activate someday?  Why can't the phone number be activated as is?  You charge an additional fee to change phone numbers?  

Can you please sort this mess out before we throw the heap in the garbage and go to a cell phone plan where my son can have a working phone at least??  

Please help!

Edited by ShawnC13: removed phone numbers, sim number and trouble ticket number

26 REPLIES 26

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Some things to try if you're still waiting for mods to reply:

1. Try to delete all old carrier profiles on the phone, found in "Settings > General > Profiles & Device Management". https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/iphone/iph6c493b19/ios 

Restart and check phone functions.

- adding $1.00 to the account, restart and check phone

- Suspend the account using the "Lost & Stolen Phone" function, wait a few minutes, undo the suspension, then restart and check phone

Hope this helps

GustyStarfish

Thank you so much.  Just tried that as suggested and still no joy.

@GustyStarfish Apple's "No Service" troubleshooting guide: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201415

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@GustyStarfish you can try resetting the network settings

1. From the home screen navigate to Settings>General>Reset
2. Tap Reset Network Settings
If prompted enter your passcode
3. Tap Reset Network Settings
4. Restarty phone

GustyStarfish

Awe.  Thank you.  That was perfect and tagged the moderator team as wished.

Thank you for your help.

@GustyStarfish 

If you are still having problems contacting Public Mobile then click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

GustyStarfish

The phone is definitely unlocked and I thought that was what we were working on here.  You can't talk to anybody and all you get is the robot with automated answers.  How do you get a real person to look at this?

@GustyStarfish  If it says no service then make sure the phone is still not locked to Bell. Also, submit a ticket to PM and ask them to reset your account.

GustyStarfish

When I call the phone it goes straight to voicemail.  When I text it doesn't go through and there's no data.

When my son called *611 it says no service and the phone says no service.  Beyond frustrating!  

GustyStarfish

It's an iPhone 8 and it is definitely unlocked and confirmed by checking.

fujiyama

@GustyStarfish 

In that case, the phone might be locked to Bell.

What model of phone is it?

Can you try the sim in another phone to see if it works?

GustyStarfish

The number that shows up in the account is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, the Public Mobile number. And unfortunately nothing works related to cell service.  No service is all that shows on the phone.

edited by computergeek541: phone number removed

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @GustyStarfish 

I'm not sure I follow

Could you please tell me which phone number shows up on your account under plans and add-ons?

What number shows on other people display when you call out?

What happens when they try to call that number?

Does texting work?

Does data work?

Thanks

@GustyStarfish wrote:

It's now going on Day 2, no I can tell you the new number is definitely not working unfortunately.

@GustyStarfish  Power down the device. Remove the sim from the phone. Wait for 15 - 30 minutes. Re-insert the sim and restart the phone. Dial *611. Is you account active? If yes, then try making a call. does it work? If not, access your selfserve click an the Plan & Add-on tab and make sure it's showing the correct number.

@GustyStarfish wrote:

It's now going on Day 2, no I can tell you the new number is definitely not working unfortunately.

@GustyStarfish Just open a new ticket and ask for service to be restored; or reply to the last response. 

While you're waiting:

a) try the TextNow app for free calling/texting on wifi

b) reboot the phone with the PM SIM installed and report any message

c) try the PM SIM in a different unlocked phone.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

fujiyama

@GustyStarfish 

You have a working prepaid plan right now, just not with a number you like I guess.

With Public Mobile you can change numbers as many times as you like (self serve change), but only every 30 days, that's the rule in place.

Is there a reason why you can not use the current number as-is and change it next month?

EDIT: Ok, I see the the current number isn't working. What is not working, calling, text, data or all of the above?

The phone picked up the network, so have you tried to restart the phone?

GustyStarfish

@GustyStarfish you have to wait for the number to port once the number ports that automatically cancel your bell service. By cancelling your Bell service while the number is porting may have caused this issue. Your temporary number should work, the old number will be lost unless Bell can reinstate it. 

GustyStarfish

The reply we received said that yes, the porting from Bell has been cancelled and we have the temporary number however it can be changed.  But yes, the phone is still not working.  The ATM has been updated and it states Public Mobile as the provider but to no avail.  This morning the response was;

Thank you for your reply:)

As you may know with prepaid services we can change the phone number once every 30 days after you have activated. The request for the port of the ph#7********** was cancelled, due to an inactive line from the old service provider. Therefore you can keep the temporary ph#1************** because we can't change the phone number for now. For more details please check out the link below:

https://bit.ly/2WyyhHU

Thank you kindly!

Violette

So I'm taking from this response that yes, we can't port in the Bell number and we can't change to the Public Mobile number, so where does that leave us with a prepaid plan?

fujiyama

@GustyStarfish 

Since you no longer want the old Bell number, that part is taken care of. You already have a working temp. number from PM according to what you posted.

What makes you say the phone line is not working?

Does the phone pick up Public Mobile as the network? If not, what does it say?

Is this phone unlocked?

@GustyStarfish wrote:

As I mentioned.  The old number did not allow porting in so we moved to one of your Public Mobile numbers.  We no longer want the old Bell number.  Are you telling me you can't activate the Public Mobile number?

@GustyStarfish  If you no longer want to port-in the Bell number simply reply to the ticket and ask the moderator to re-assign your temporary number or ask them to assign a new one. Once that happens your phone will start working again.

GustyStarfish

As I mentioned.  The old number did not allow porting in so we moved to one of your Public Mobile numbers.  We no longer want the old Bell number.  Are you telling me you can't activate the Public Mobile number?

@GustyStarfish wrote:

Yes.  Why is that the issue?

To port a number the account or "phone number" needs to be active.  If your line was not active PM can note port the number in

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@GustyStarfish you would need to reactivate your old account from bell and try re-porting your old number. 

GustyStarfish

Yes.  Why is that the issue?

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@GustyStarfish seems like you guys cancelled your old plan from bell. is this the case?

Need Help? Let's chat.