cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can send & receive texts, use data, but can't make or receive calls.

Brownbailey
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is a new number, new SIM, not ported.
I've had the number since Dec 2018 and have made and received calls on it.  I have also missed phone calls and have had them go to voicemail which I was able to check later.
I don't use my cell for much more than messaging and the occasional phone call.  I receive all surveys, soliciting, call centre type calls on my home phone, so it's not unusual to go a week or more without having to make or receive a call on my cell.  I do however send texts every couple of days or so and occassionally I noticed a time delay (e.g. someone sends me a message around 6pm on Sunday and I don't receive it until Mon morn around 8).  I started testing texting with a timestamp with my brother and have yet to catch a delay again.
I don't always receive the strongest signal at home, so I prefer to use a messaging app over SMS.  I also work at various locations that have me drive through rural areas where there is little to no cell service, so for the last few weeks I put the blame of the inability to complete calls on this.
In the last couple of weeks, I've tried to make some calls that looked like they were dialing but either got disconnected, or I hung up after not being able to hear anything (including a ringtone while dialing).  On a couple of occasions they called me back, but I heard only silence upon answering.  I checked with them later and was told that they couldn't hear me on either the incoming or outgoing calls. 
I've since tried a couple of times to check from home.  When I try to call my cell number, there is no tone to indicate that it ringing and does not go to voicemail. Just silence.  I've tried dialing with the area code and it's still silent.  When I dial beginning with a '1' for long distance, I'll hear "the number you have dialed is not a long distance call..."
I have been unable to make my home phone ring during my experiments (but likely due to the low signal), but have also been unable to hear it ringing or leave a message (if I'm calling from an area with a stonger signal).
(My home phone definitely does not have any issues as I'm able to make and receive calls and messages as well as voicemail.)
Obviously I'm connected to the network if I'm able to send texts and use data, but why can't I make or receive calls, or receive messages? 
I've tried restarting my phone, changing battery, taking out and putting back in the SIM...

5 REPLIES 5

Brownbailey

@hycm53 wrote:

@Brownbailey Try do @NDesai sugesting. What kind of phone are you using? Your phone may have problem on the hardware.

@hycm53 I'm using a Galaxy S4 1337-M.  I know it's not the newest of phones and I don't think it has the strongest antenna, but that shouldn't affect people being able to leave me voice messages or not.

Brownbailey

@geopublic wrote:

@Brownbailey  What happens when you call *611?

@geopublic  *611 calls the automated Public Mobile menu (as it should).  I didn't try this before during my 'experiments', I only tried calling phone numbers and voicemail.  Currently appears to be making and receiving calls, but unsure why.  I'd tried taking the battery and SIM out again.  (I also changed my ringtone but doubt this would have any effect.)  

Update: less than 24hrs later I have the same issue.  Also tried calling *611 again, could not connect.  Reseated SIM and was able to make and receive calls again.
When I check Settings >More >About device >Status 
Network: Public Mobile; Network type:LTE; Service state: Voice: In service / Data: In service;
but Mobile network state: disconnected (always shows this whether I can make calls or not.)

Since network status and settings are all the same, now I'm worried I'll need to make/receive an important call and unknowingly not be able to.  If it was reseating the SIM card that did it, I could always try doing it again if I fail to complete a call, but I'm thinking it could not be working for weeks at a time, and I will have missed important/emergency calls that weren't able to connect or leave a message for me.  How am I to know if my phone is working? Do I have to make test calls every day?

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@Brownbailey Try do @NDesai sugesting. What kind of phone are you using? Your phone may have problem on the hardware.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Brownbailey wrote:

This is a new number, new SIM, not ported.
I've had the number since Dec 2018 and have made and received calls on it.  I have also missed phone calls and have had them go to voicemail which I was able to check later.
I don't use my cell for much more than messaging and the occasional phone call.  I receive all surveys, soliciting, call centre type calls on my home phone, so it's not unusual to go a week or more without having to make or receive a call on my cell.  I do however send texts every couple of days or so and occassionally I noticed a time delay (e.g. someone sends me a message around 6pm on Sunday and I don't receive it until Mon morn around 8).  I started testing texting with a timestamp with my brother and have yet to catch a delay again.
I don't always receive the strongest signal at home, so I prefer to use a messaging app over SMS.  I also work at various locations that have me drive through rural areas where there is little to no cell service, so for the last few weeks I put the blame of the inability to complete calls on this.
In the last couple of weeks, I've tried to make some calls that looked like they were dialing but either got disconnected, or I hung up after not being able to hear anything (including a ringtone while dialing).  On a couple of occasions they called me back, but I heard only silence upon answering.  I checked with them later and was told that they couldn't hear me on either the incoming or outgoing calls. 
I've since tried a couple of times to check from home.  When I try to call my cell number, there is no tone to indicate that it ringing and does not go to voicemail. Just silence.  I've tried dialing with the area code and it's still silent.  When I dial beginning with a '1' for long distance, I'll hear "the number you have dialed is not a long distance call..."
I have been unable to make my home phone ring during my experiments (but likely due to the low signal), but have also been unable to hear it ringing or leave a message (if I'm calling from an area with a stonger signal).
(My home phone definitely does not have any issues as I'm able to make and receive calls and messages as well as voicemail.)
Obviously I'm connected to the network if I'm able to send texts and use data, but why can't I make or receive calls, or receive messages? 
I've tried restarting my phone, changing battery, taking out and putting back in the SIM...

@Brownbailey  What happens when you call *611?

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Brownbailey Things are not normal for you. Check the current status of your account and review the plan details to see if calling is included. If yes, try disabling/enabling the lost/stolen feature and see if you are able to make/receive calls. If not, you might want to reach out to the Moderator_Team and they will get look into your account to see what's wrong.

Need Help? Let's chat.