cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls not working in florida

edkust
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I upgraded my plan to 4g and I bought roaming text and talk as well as 3 gigs of data and everything works ok except talk calls. Talk calls do not work here in Orlando Florida. My son in law has same plan and it works fine on his android galaxy 50 phone but my iPhone can not make or receive calls. My iPhone is an iPhone 8. Can you help me fix this or give me a refund on my 4 g plan since I would not have needed the 4 g plan to be able to roam with text and data only. Thx

12 REPLIES 12

@computergeek541- Except it would seem AT&T ripped up the contract. They could have allowed text and data. But we can't even so much as connect. I would have imagined that conversations and agreements would have been made with T-Mobile to allow us to make use of their 2G network. I would imagine then that new conversations and agreements would have to made for volte. But yes perhaps they do look at Public as Telus and I imagine Telus roams on volte. So, sure, maybe.

As an aside with connectiing...I noticed a subtle difference in the error message given when trying to connect to like Verizon and trying to connect to AT&T. For Verizon it said "Your SIM card does not allow a connection to this network". Sounds about right. For AT&T it said "Unable to connect. Try later". Interesting difference. For any of the folks here having the verified working volte, I would be interested to see their experiences connecting to things in the states. Roaming or not (we should still get the welcome text).

@dust2dust wrote:

I was recently on Oahu with roaming talk/text. I was in Honolulu for a few days and the phone did automatically drop down to 2G. We spent a couple days up in the north-east side and it did not. I manually changed it to 2G and it all worked. Got back to Honolulu and changed it back to automatic and it all worked as before. So yes sometimes it will not drop down.

The unfortunate part is that some phones can't manually choose 2G anymore and if it doesn't drop down in that area for whatever reason then you don't get talk. But text should still work as long as you're in T-Mobile coverage.

Adding - as for volte for roaming, I would have to guess that new agreements would have to be made with the roaming partners to permit volte roaming.

I suspect that the U.S. carriers simply view a Public Mobile customer as a Telus customer when it comes to roaming agreements between the two.  The roaming carrier would need to communicate with the carrier of the SIM card to check if roaming is permitted on the account, but I don't see there being any seperate arrangements.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I was recently on Oahu with roaming talk/text. I was in Honolulu for a few days and the phone did automatically drop down to 2G. We spent a couple days up in the north-east side and it did not. I manually changed it to 2G and it all worked. Got back to Honolulu and changed it back to automatic and it all worked as before. So yes sometimes it will not drop down.

The unfortunate part is that some phones can't manually choose 2G anymore and if it doesn't drop down in that area for whatever reason then you don't get talk. But text should still work as long as you're in T-Mobile coverage.

Adding - as for volte for roaming, I would have to guess that new agreements would have to be made with the roaming partners to permit volte roaming.

@softech wrote:

@edkust wrote:

My options in settings are 3G or LTE. It’s set to LTE. No 2G option. I tested the speed and I am getting 4G speed on my data.

HI @edkust Yes, that's why I expected too.  iPhone nowadays will hide the 2G option.  I just not 100% sure if it will fall back to 2G still when voice calls are made

For now, use the TextNow with MobileData/Wifi for calls as a workaround

When you are moving around different region in the city , try your voice roaming again

Yes, phones fall back to 2g networks automatically when required.  It's automatic.  It's actually been a few years since I've seen any device with LTE only, 3g only, or 2g only settings in the regular menus.  These settings are for a preferred network or a highest possible type of network. I kow that the concept is a troubleshooting technique, but customers generally should not need to force a 2g network connection.  A new trend on some phones is how 2G connections have to be allowed using a seperate setting (Pixel devices).

@edkust wrote:

My options in settings are 3G or LTE. It’s set to LTE. No 2G option. I tested the speed and I am getting 4G speed on my data.

@edkust , it could be that one of your accounts has the VoLTE enabled profile which could make the calling experience infinitely better in the US.  Based on customer feedback, a small number of accounts have VoLTE enabled as part of what appears to be the front end of a roll out for all customers.  One thing you can do is to check and see if on the iPhone it is possible to set Voice & Data to LTE.  If this can be done, then the account is VoLTE enabled.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203124

For non VoLTE enabled accounts, calling is subject to the availability of T-Mobile 2G network.  Check that the phone is connected to T-Mobile network and hope for the best.

@edkust wrote:

HI @edkust Yes, that's why I expected too.  iPhone nowadays will hide the 2G option.  I just not 100% sure if it will fall back to 2G still when voice calls are made

For now, use the TextNow with MobileData/Wifi for calls as a workaround

When you are moving around different region in the city , try your voice roaming again

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@edkust - it doesn't matter what Public Mobile plan you are on when it comes to Roaming Addons whilst in USA.

You could be on the lowest 100 outgoing minutes plan of $15, and it would work the same in the USA.

You are only using the Roaming Addon features, not your plan features while roaming; too bad you thought differently and upgraded to a more expensive plan. But, the plan does need to be in Active status for any addons to work, so note that also.

edkust
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @edkust   yes, understand you need your 4G for data, but PM is still using 2G with voice at this time.  The phone needs to see the 2G network and able to switch over to it for voice to work

However, look like PM is in the process to enable to VoLTE.

Try to enable VoLTE on your phone if the option is there. 

Also, you might try to connect AT&T and check if data and voice and text work

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@edkust   are you and your Son in law in the same location?  The PM US roaming addon relies on 3G and in the US they're decommissioning their 3G infrastructure and moving on with 4G and 5G.  So the package is becoming less and less useful unfortunately.

It may be better to rely on something like Whatsapp or other messaging app using data and use the voice calling feature.  If you're needed to call other landline numbers there are other apps that will use data to call but may cost you something for the app or subscription.

Until PM enables volte the US text/talk roaming will be less useful depending where you are in the US. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@edkust 

It should be noted that on this forum you’re chatting with other customers, not public mobile staff.

It’s possible your device may not be easily able to manage calling with the US add-on, in which you can ask customer support for a refund, and they will likely accommodate by placing the purchase price onto your account as a credit.

To contact a Customer Support Agent, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type Customer Support Agent, then select Contact Us, then select Other (or the topic that more closely matches your request).  Click the result which states Click here to submit a ticket and follow the prompts,  or, 

2. Send a private message to the Customer Support Agent by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@edkust   Talk is tricky as it uses T-Mobile's 2G network, it is old technology and the coverage is less than 4G coverage.   But since your son's galaxy has the voice working, maybe it's a device thing

can you check if you can change your network to 2G and make calls?  You might or might not be able to do it as iPhone might have removed that, check 

1. Select Settings.
  2. Select Mobile Data.
  3. Select Mobile Data Options.
  4. Select Voice & Data.
  5. To enable 2G, select 2G.

And as a workaround, download VoIP app TextNow and use it to make calls and receive calls.  It will work as long as you have Mobile data or Wifi

Need Help? Let's chat.