cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling to US

Cath
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My daughter and I are both PM subscribers.  Neither of us texts.  She has only province wide calling.  She is at Disneyworld until next Thursday.  I have the same plan but with a CAN-US add-on.  Am I correct in assuming that if I call her, she will be able to receive the call, although she cannot call me?  She is traveling on her own, so given the Dorian predictions, I would like to be able to check on her.  TIA

5 REPLIES 5

You can try calling/texting each other when the phones are in Canada and USA.  I don't think it'll work ... but maybe it will, stranger things have happened.  Public Mobile is always prepaid so you can't use and can't/won't be charged for any "roaming" you haven't already purchased.

The US Roaming add-ons are an option but I honestly don't think they're that great a deal if the trip is only for a few days, they have a flat 10 day expiry once activated and they can't be suspended/resumed.

I think the standard "US & Canada Long Distance Add-on, 200 minutes for $8" and "US & Canada & International Long Distance Add-on, 400 minutes for $15" are a better deal.  The Add-on minutes will get used whenever Plan minutes aren't available but they never expire and will continue to rollover billing cycles indefinitely.  They might even be handy for future calls to USA (and beyond).

Other options are the usual email, facebook, whatsapp, fongo, skype, etc.  Maybe not so much of an ordeal for a short duration trip.  Alternately, one of you could purchase one of those long distance calling cards (with some kind of 1-800 sort of number) which only charges a few pennies per minute, although they usually have some sort of expiry mechanism once activated so not really any better than an Add-on from Public Mobile.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Cath wrote:

@chukdefatey  Thank you.

No Problem. Roaming add on for Unlimited US Voice Roaming is $8 and is good for ten days from the day you buy it. The day you purchase is Day one. If you do decide to Purchase it, make sure your daughters phone settings is set to Roaming On. 

Cath
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@chukdefatey  Thank you.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Cath wrote:

My daughter and I are both PM subscribers.  Neither of us texts.  She has only province wide calling.  She is at Disneyworld until next Thursday.  I have the same plan but with a CAN-US add-on.  Am I correct in assuming that if I call her, she will be able to receive the call, although she cannot call me?  She is traveling on her own, so given the Dorian predictions, I would like to be able to check on her.  TIA

In correct, she won't be able to Receive your call with out a US Roaming add on. You can purchase a Voice US Roaming add on her line. Remember you will just be calling a Local Number so you won't need it but she will because she Roaming in a different country and no Longer connected to a Public Mobile Network

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Cath hi no she will not be able to recieve your call but she can recieve a text from you there is a 10 day roaming add on that she can purchase 

Need Help? Let's chat.