cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call display rather than name display

test11
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm on the iPhone 6s and was wondering if there's a way to set my caller ID for incoming calls to show the phone number rather than name? I'm just better with numbers than names

For example, now I'm seeing "John Smith" on the incoming call display rather than "555-555-5555" and I would like to switch that around.

5 REPLIES 5

Options I see... 

- Using another calling app that has that option if it exists - or that shows both name and number when someone calls

- Jailbreaking and finding different OS that match your desire/programming it yourself

I doubt that there is any way to set this at a per account level.  You could always ask the moderator team, but as I was saying, I doubt it.

As for your phone only showing a name but no phone number, this is at least partially a phone software issue.  Public Mobile does in fact transmit the name (when avaialble) and the phone number as well.  Your phone is set to only show one or the other.  I don't beleive iOS has a way to change this in the settings, but I don't use an iPhone model so I couldn't check for you.  What I can say is that every phone that I've ever used always display name and phone number (whether in my address book/contact list or not), so you may want to push Apple to making this change in their software.

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@stonechucker wrote:

I do not have an entry in my phone for one of my banks, and evrytime they call, it displays their name.

I know, I have experienced the same thing, but…
Caller ID is the carrier’s function; the phone is just displaying the data that was sent to it by the carrier.

Even you only see Name, phone number is also sent along. If you would check your Call log you will see that number is there.

However, there are no settings to change for the Caller ID to only display number of the caller!

@LEGO, you are correct that the address book will take over the display, if it's in there, HOWEVER, Public Mobile does send out when available, Name Display.

I do not have an entry in my phone for one of my banks, and evrytime they call, it displays their name.

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@test11 The calling party data that is displayed for both name and number is just as sent by the carrier. The exception to that being when the received number is matched to a contact.
Name only
displays because person is in your Contact list. There are no settings to change it.
Since you are good with memorizing numbers, the only option would be to erase all names from your Contact list. Woman Wink

Need Help? Let's chat.