cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry EOL Jan 4th 2022

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

I wonder if anyone is actually still using one.... Blackberry End of Life is officially coming (Jan 4th 2022) when the devices will cease to work

Official statement here:

https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/support/devices/end-of-life

10 REPLIES 10

I still remember the chaos when they launch Play Book.. It was late (couple years after iPad launch) and the initial launch of Play Book was still half finished and still begging everyone to buy it first and  give them more time for the final touch

I just surprise no one willing to buy the keyboard.  I thought the keyboard would still have some market even today.  I still think torch 9800 had a great design... keyboard with full screen.  Wish we have still have  Android in that form-factor

Public had BIS but that was before Telus bought them out so a very long time ago

There were workarounds for getting it to work on Public post-Telus but I do not remember them ever officially supporting them (BB10 was different and not an issue with any carrier which is why I am surprised announcement includes them in the EOL. I do not know enough about how it bridged the gap so no idea why it could cease to function)

Blackberry also had apps (and an app store) long before Apple or Android

Problem is they just did not listen to what customers wanted (I will never forget at the BB10 launch the blank stares we got back when one social influencer asked about Instagram support; "what is Instagram?")

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech : Nor was I. I had the Z10 on Telus at first. No BES. Then I got a Z30. No BES. Then I found this place Spring '18.

It was only the yet older BB's that required BES.

There was the instant messaging app called Blackberry Messenger at the time. It was available on iOS and Android too. I would say that's about it for needing some kind of server. There was some kind of account needed much like a Google account now.

I wasn't here years ago.. PM has BES and welcome BB at that time?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech : BB OS10 didn't need a BES server. It worked as a standalone device. Unlike the older BB's. It was a few years ago now that they stopped doing any updates for it. Particularly around security.

I hardly think that on Jan 4 the thing will self-destruct a la Mission Impossible. Maybe I'll turn on wifi first and see what it says. Then maybe even an active SIM.

But I would think the device would continue to function as though it was in airplane mode.

@Anonymous wrote:

@softech : Well I would still say that BB OS10 is superior. But it would seem that not enough people made apps for it. And everybody had to have apps. Was that stringent requirements from BB? Developers placing their own bets on iOS or Android?

They were late to the party as they kept doing finishing touches while the other fruit took off.

Then of course up against the always slick marketing juggernaut from that other fruit. But that's marketing. And it would seem that more people are drawn to slick marketing.

It's still kinda messy to offer an app in both worlds so I guess doing that for a third was just not on.

I miss the old BB's. I had a short stint with a Windows Phone too before I finally gave in to Google. Never Apple. Nope.

@Anonymous   you were quiet correct about the App.  iOS was the first to come into this playground and those developers don't even want to migrate their codes onto Android in the beginning.  Both Windows and BB lost this battle

Playbook was another reason for the downfall.  I was working closely with financial people at that time.  Back then , it was a Blackberry only world in that sector.  All firms also hold tightly with BB and try to stop the "invasion" of Apple.  iPad was the hot babe but those faithful BB firms and users were willing to wait  for the Playbook.  Finally , Playbook arrived.  The form, size were already a disaster, and the first Playbook was just half functioning compare with iPad, and then the apps.. or the lack of

They keyboard was another advantage back in the old days.  Should BB willing to open up the patent to other Android brands ,  I am pretty certain we will still see many BB look alike Android device today.   Maybe mainly used by older fellows who can't type on the glass, but probably would  still see some around.  Too bad, they kept it to themselves still and partnered only with TCL.  

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

🤔I doubt they will stop working... Maybe stop getting security updates or OS updates, but that happens in every device that isn't brand new on any OS, even when the OS itself continues to exist

This is about the older BB's, those running BB7.1, BB10.  Those are legacy device and they need to find BES server.  Those older one won't work on any network.  They will no longer able to work with voice, data, SMS and even 911 service.  (Someone last month talk about no 911 service for another reason and will file CRTC complain, I hope no one call CRTC for BB this time)

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

🤔 I doubt they will stop working... Maybe stop getting security updates or OS updates, but that happens in every device that isn't brand new on any OS, even when the OS itself continues to exist

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech : Well I would still say that BB OS10 is superior. But it would seem that not enough people made apps for it. And everybody had to have apps. Was that stringent requirements from BB? Developers placing their own bets on iOS or Android?

They were late to the party as they kept doing finishing touches while the other fruit took off.

Then of course up against the always slick marketing juggernaut from that other fruit. But that's marketing. And it would seem that more people are drawn to slick marketing.

It's still kinda messy to offer an app in both worlds so I guess doing that for a third was just not on.

I miss the old BB's. I had a short stint with a Windows Phone too before I finally gave in to Google. Never Apple. Nope.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

It's sad seeing the end of Blackberry. It was the good old days.  They thought they  are good enough to complete with Android and iOS and completely missed the opportunity.  

I don't think there are many still using it.  

Need Help? Let's chat.