cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being told I don't have US Roaming while calling a Canadian number from Canada

Luxguy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I am in White Rock BC trying to call a number in White Rock BC, but I get a message saying that the call cannot be completed as I don't have US Roaming add on.  I am physically in White Rock and google maps on my phone has me in White Rock.  Has anyone experienced this and if so what did they do?

11 REPLIES 11

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

My American cousin has a place in White Rock Marine Drive.....and his phone will pick up an American tower. Make sure you lock on to a Canadian tower. 

In normal times when I can go from Coquitlam to my cabin at Pt Roberts WA I get the “Welcome to the USA” text almost always but I keep roaming disabled in my phone and have never had a problem making a call to Canada. There is a “Border Zone” set up between towers on each side of the border so you can be picked up by a US tower that has this arrangement with Telus and it wont be a roaming call. This allows calls to be handed back and forth across the border and eliminates lots of complaints from people close to the border getting dinged with roaming fees on Telus plans that allow roaming. Odd things can still happen though.

AE_Collector

Luxguy

Thanks everyone for the speedy assistance. Very helpful and a good lesson for me. Take care everyone!

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Luxguy disable roaming on your phone and try the call again. If you are close to the US border it may be picking up a US tower. Stay safe. 

Luxguy

Thanks for the clarification. I did not get a welcome SMS and we are about 2.5km from the border. I have called from the location previously without this problem

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Luxguy go to your mobile network settings and disable "automatically select network" and choose the public mobile network. this should stop your devics from trying to roam

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I experienced lock to sneak towers close to the border, not not even that close. I believe moderators can't help you if that is the case, the best option is to disable roaming if it's even possible in your phone. It's just the equipment trying to catch better signal

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Contact moderator team by clicking "?"  at bottom right.

oglat

I meant just to check if it's a misdial

But roaming message usually means you are connected to an American tower. Did you get welcome to USA roaming sms?

How far are you from the border?

Luxguy

Do you mean my phone number of the number I am calling? If it is the number I am calling I checked the area code online at it states it is in Canada (Vancouver)

oglat

Check your number again.

Happens to me frequently, I dial 716 instead of 416 pretty often if I don't pay close attention, one is just above the other and if my finger is not right at the center I end up dialing NY

If you are too close to border and fall in the zone with both towers, your phone may be switching to an American tower.

See if you can disable roaming.

You may have to move away from border and turn airplane mode off and on couple of times or even restart your phone, just to get back on Canadian network

Need Help? Let's chat.