cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Zenfone model: Asus_x00id

vicsiz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I am in dire need of assistance. 

I bought my smartphone 2 chistmases ago (december 2017) when it still operated with the android 6.0 marshmellow.  It has updated itself to the most current version of Oreo 8.1.  I didn't realize that having Oreo would be such a hassel when trying to re-add the public mobile APN number in order to access my data but it seems as it is.  You see, I did a factory reset for the first time on my phone because my phone was starting to act up and apps would just 'stop working'.  This was my attempt to start from scratch again and re-download all of my apps.  When I got to the part where I tried to add the public mobile APN number, there is no plus button or add button.  I searched online elsewhere to see if I could manually add it somehow, but that results in me becoming a 'developer' (which I tried and am definately not).  There are only 2 apns on my phone that are greyed out: telus and koodo.  The phone was purchased as an unlocked phone.  I called telus to see if they could unlock it, and they were not able to.  Which means that it must be an unlocked phone.  But at this point, I am at a loss in how to fix this.  I even considered buying a new phone just to get over this weird situation, but bestbuy doesn't carry phones with the apn on it already.  Please. Help.  

3 REPLIES 3

vicsiz

From this link:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Android-8-1-APN-settings/m-p/289974/h...

Instead of tapping Save, back out with the Home (circle) button. When you check your APN list again, it will be saved with the correct settings (if you tap on the APN name to view it, use Home to back out again, otherwise it'll come back up with the error). Select the APN to enable, should work fine. 

I had to fiddle with it a few times, but this (above) was the fix that worked. Thanks.

vicsiz

Thank you for your help.  Everything you have linked in the message is great, but not new information for me.  I have ordered the freedom mobile sim card; hopefully it works.  I will update this messaging system once I recieve freedom's card and give it a go.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@vicsiz wrote:

Hi, I am in dire need of assistance. 

I bought my smartphone 2 chistmases ago (december 2017) when it still operated with the android 6.0 marshmellow.  It has updated itself to the most current version of Oreo 8.1.  I didn't realize that having Oreo would be such a hassel when trying to re-add the public mobile APN number in order to access my data but it seems as it is.  You see, I did a factory reset for the first time on my phone because my phone was starting to act up and apps would just 'stop working'.  This was my attempt to start from scratch again and re-download all of my apps.  When I got to the part where I tried to add the public mobile APN number, there is no plus button or add button.  I searched online elsewhere to see if I could manually add it somehow, but that results in me becoming a 'developer' (which I tried and am definately not).  There are only 2 apns on my phone that are greyed out: telus and koodo.  The phone was purchased as an unlocked phone.  I called telus to see if they could unlock it, and they were not able to.  Which means that it must be an unlocked phone.  But at this point, I am at a loss in how to fix this.  I even considered buying a new phone just to get over this weird situation, but bestbuy doesn't carry phones with the apn on it already.  Please. Help.  

If the phone is running Android 8.1 it's quite likely that you don't have the possibility to change or add an APN profile for Public Mobile.

Other people have had success putting a Freedom or Roam Mobility SIM in, which seemed to have allowed them to add a new APN, fill in Public Mobile settings, reboot. Put Public Mobile SIM in.

(I think... For me playing with an active SpeakOut SIM eventually populated the Public Mobile APN settings, but I didn't write down the exact steps, sorry.) YMMV.

The relevant post https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Android-8-1-APN-settings/m-p/289974/h... in the big Android 8.1 APN thread: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Android-8-1-APN-settings/td-p/241715

Another way to deal with it: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/solved-fido-apn-miui-10-cant-add-apn-2239645/2/#p30756342   (Disclaimer: I have not tried this myself. But have seen several reports that it works.)

Need Help? Let's chat.