cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Area code for Ottawa?

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Trying to help a friend move over from Bell. They don't care about keeping their number, which makes it a bit easier (they're on prepaid so with no porting they can let it die on Bell then activate with PM).

That said, I assume there's no chance PM will offer them a new 613 #. Are they offering 343 now, or even [shudder] the brand new 753? I recall the old pre-Telus PM being among the first to hand out 438 in Montreal.

The relevance is of course that if they can't get 613 on PM, they might choose to port over from Bell a little earlier and get a 613 # (specifically the 613 # they have now but don't care about).

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

ottawa

@computergeek541 wrote:

Over time, area code 613 numbers will beocme increasingly harder to find.  The chance of getting one will never be zero, but the few times I've looked, the numbers are mostly 343 but 613 does occasionally show up. Please remember that area code 613 isn't only for Ottawa

True, though I don't recall 514 as an option when we signed up a relative back in the pre-Telus CDMA days. Didn't do refresh-refresh-refresh but then it's possible that iteration of PM never offered 514 but only 438 (438 launched 2006, PM launched 2010).

ottawa

@softech wrote:

there are in fact quite some numbers with 613 area code,

You can try to refresh Ottawa-Hull area multiple times and some 613 numbers will come out (I refreshed 3 times and I got some 613 numbers already)

Also, if you are willing to go other cities:

Smithsfalls

Thanks for confirming we might get a 613 #. I feel like getting a Perth or Cornwall # might cause trouble if there's anyone out there who might call it and not have free LD? Not for the PM member of course. I've asked if they are about 613 vs 343. But also realized there's no reason to run down the Bell balance, that the cost of moving to PM 2 weeks earlier (say) is just an extra $7.50, irrespective of how much they have as a balance with Bell (for some reason they're on PAYG at $15/mo which includes nothing, I guess Bell didn't automatically move them to their $15/mo plan (100min + UL texts). I pointed out getting Bell to change them is less complex than moving to PM, but they countered that in the latter case, I do all the work (happy to do it, "friends don't let friends, stay on Bell prepaid"). And I should still get $1/mo right? Haven't paid attention to PM's promos and rewards since they wrecked them. 😞

HI @ottawa 

there are in fact quite some numbers with 613 area code,

You can try to refresh Ottawa-Hull area multiple times and some 613 numbers will come out (I refreshed 3 times and I got some 613 numbers already)

Also, if you are willing to go other cities:

Smithsfalls

Perth

Hawkesbury

Cornwall

Bancroft

@ottawa wrote:

Trying to help a friend move over from Bell. They don't care about keeping their number, which makes it a bit easier (they're on prepaid so with no porting they can let it die on Bell then activate with PM).

That said, I assume there's no chance PM will offer them a new 613 #. Are they offering 343 now, or even [shudder] the brand new 753? I recall the old pre-Telus PM being among the first to hand out 438 in Montreal.

The relevance is of course that if they can't get 613 on PM, they might choose to port over from Bell a little earlier and get a 613 # (specifically the 613 # they have now but don't care about).

Over time, area code 613 numbers will beocme increasingly harder to find.  The chance of getting one will never be zero, but the few times I've looked, the numbers are mostly 343 but 613 does occasionally show up. Please remember that area code 613 isn't only for Ottawa.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@ottawa   There are currently 613 area code numbers available by selecting Ottawa/Hull in Change Number option in self serve account, so your friend should be able to select a 613 area code number at activation.

Need Help? Let's chat.