cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any updates to enabling direct debit as an Auto-Pay method?

szymon247
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

With so many issues with autopay and adding the credit cards (none of mine unfortunately work), including foreign cards not being accepted and MasterCard debit obviously not being accepted, are there any updates on direct debit being an option? I know that this feature was heavily requested already, but I couldn't find any official responses or updates.

I know that Paypal isn't an option due to the additional fees, but with most of such services allowing direct debit, is it also coming to Public Mobile anytime soon?

I would love to be able to be on Auto-pay, but PM is the only service that I use where I can't. Using vouchers isn't convenient and I'm afraid that I will forget to top-up at some point, plus it takes away the auto-pay bonus - I would love to be on auto-pay if I could without opening a completely new bank account and getting a new credit card which I otherwise don't want just for the phone service. Since the current Auto-pay is so limited in terms of payment methods that it accepts, are there any other payment methods planned for Auto-pay, and is direct debit one of them?

7 REPLIES 7

szymon247

@stonechuckerYeah, a credit card is the only option. Like I mentioned though, I really didn't want to get another credit card just to be able to auto-pay for a single service that doesn't work with any of the other methods, including cards that I already have Cat Sad

I thought there was an option for a credit card with Tangerine.  I think it's a Mastercard.

szymon247

I already contacted the mod team regarding my cards, but I think the source of the problem is that both cards are tied to a non-Canadian address. Despite there being a "country" choice when registering cards, and me inputting everything perfectly, I don't think it will work, which is strange considering they work everywhere else.

My bank here (Tangerine) does not offer Visa debit or pre-paid cards, and I really didn't want to get another credit card 😞

Since I pay for literally all of my other bills using direct debit, I was hoping that would be an option that goes far beyond only my case. A lot of people seem to have problems with their cards.

The closest thing to direct debit from your bank account would be a Visa Debit card, which I believe almost all Canadian banks now offer.  In most cases, it's just a new client card with a number that validates against Visa, but is also your regular everyday debit card.

I personally use a prepaid visa card from ScotiaBank that works perfectly, as at the time, I didn't have a visa debit.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@szymon247, what credit cards do you have that you are unable to add to your account for auto pay.  I have a visa and mastercard.  Both have been successfully added to my accounts.  When entering address, don't put anything in the apartment field.  Sometimes, the problem is browser related.  Clearing browser cache or incognito mode is a strategy that some customers have used with success.  As always, make sure you are using the latest version.

szymon247

I think it should be a rather high priority. It means that people would like to pay them, but they can't, or at least can't do that in a convenient way. I just searched the forums and noticed many topics relating to this over the years too, and I guess that not being able to set up payment methods is one of the most common issues that people are bothered with around here, judging by the forums. While I'm happy that I switched to PM, the fact that it's the first time I can't sign up for Auto-pay somewhere feels like an added burden.

My issue is that my cards work everywhere except here, but I'm sure there's also plenty of people who actually don't have or just don't want to use credit cards at all, who normally use direct debit for bill payments. It's quite a basic, universal payment method for all recurring services, really. I can't imagine that it has any significant downsides too. Telus already offers it in all of their other services, and so do all other utility service providers that I'm aware of.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

There are some credit card doesnt work.  

They know that already.  Doubt they put this into high priority.  

Need Help? Let's chat.