cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are These Problems Exclusive to PM?

Keskin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I should start by saying I love PM for their affordable, no-frills plans and simplicity—this is why I originally chose them. Secondly, I should mention I'm currently on the 3GB plan and my phone is the Ulefone Note 9P. And finally, I should mention PM is the only phone provider I've ever had, so I have nothing to compare it to and no idea what the experience is like with other providers. And as an additional disclaimer, I don't really understand how any of this technology works in terms of data connection and what not, I am not savvy. 

So, I work part time as a courier downtown. Meaning I rely on my data connection for receiving orders, navigation, as well as generally running and using the app. I'm also heading in and out of buildings and up and down towers all day. For the most part, the connection works and PM gets the job done. However, I have noticed some issues...

The first issue would be with the navigation; both on the delivery app and on Google maps the GPS will sometimes be quite inaccurate and not update my position or show my direction accurately in time. I've gotten lost a couple times due to this.

The second and even more frustrating issue is the occasional complete loss of connection when heading up a tower. This means I can't upload a photo, mark the order as complete, or move on to my next order until I regain my connection. Even worse, I often have to restart my phone completely once I'm downstairs to regain connection. I have no idea what causes this as it doesnt seem to be related to the specific building, it just randomly occurs sometimes. It's not frequent but it can be pretty annoying. 

So, I'm wondering if these issues are exclusive to PM or if I could fix them by swapping providers. I really like PM otherwise and don't want to go through the process of swapping and paying more only to have these same issues persist. I'm also wondering if the issues could be related to my phone and not due to the provider. 

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

21 REPLIES 21

@Keskin 

Just make a habit of recalibrating once a week. Rebooting once a day. And using airplane mode when needed. And use free public wifi....the more your phone connects to the world around you the more accurate your GPS will become as it learns where it is in its surroundings. 

Keskin

I appreciate all the help everyone, I tested it today and it definitely feels better. It's not perfect, The gps is still off sometimes, but I think I'll just have to live with that. 

@Keskin 

You can always clear the app cache for Google maps. Or uninstall and reinstall the app and/or check for any software updates. There are several different ways to improve your location accuracy. Check again to see if maps allows you to calibrate via wifi, location or try these methods:

To help Google Maps find your location with the most accurate blue dot, use high accuracy mode.
  1. On your Android phone or tablet, open the Settings app .
  2. Tap Location.
  3. At the top, switch location on.
  4. Tap Mode. High accuracy.

And/or....

You should turn on Wi-Fi on your phone. ... On both iPhone and Android, turning on Wi-Fi will make Google Maps more accurate, as it scans nearby Wi-Fi signals to locate you. If that doesn't work, try restarting your iPhone or Android. Your phone's GPS sensors may simply need to be rebooted.

And/or....

Sometimes your device will get 'stuck' on certain GPS satellites, even if they're not within range, causing it not to work properly. ... In the app, tap anywhere on the screen, then tap the menu icon and hit Manage A-GPS state. Tap Reset, then when that's finished go back into the Manage A-GPS state menu and tap Download.

Let us know if any of this helps.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Keskin 

Let us know how it goes!  Glad it's working.......for now.  Any idea how the weather has been?  I've noticed GPS discrepancies on devices.  Although things are better now than they have been before, "weak" performance can fail in the wrong conditions.

Keskin

Got an update for you. First off, I get around by walking/biking and I have a transparent silicone/TPU case. The only device I could think to cause interference would be my earbuds plugged in the phone?

I've tried all the troubleshooting suggested including reseating my sim, resetting network settings, recalibrating GPS through my devices compass app, and setting to 3G only.

I went for a test bike ride and walk this morning and it seems to be working well enough (although Google Maps is still saying location accuracy is low and wont let me calibrate through the app.) This is leading me to believe the problem is being caused when I head up and down these towers messing up the reception. 

The solution may be as simple as turning airplane mode on/off to reset the connection, I will test tommorow. 

BlueB

@Keskin 

You may want to see if you can borrow another phone to test first.  Ordering from the Public Mobile store have decent prices on refurbished phones, plus this lets you return in 30 days if you aren't happy with it.

I agree with others that it's not likely to do with Public Mobile (and Telus) but it's hard to tell.  Bad weather can change the affects of interference/GPS/etc, and if you're already in a "faraday cage" of an elevator then the problem can bubble pretty quickly.

Interesting idea from @softech about using a hard case or something (else) that may decrease the signal.  Similarly, do you have/use any other devices/cases/etc that could interfere with some of your app usage?

How do you get around - walk/bike/drive?  If you're in a vehicle, you can get signal boosters for a vehicle that would help while you're there.  It's probably not ideal for your situation but thought I'd throw it out there.  🙂

@Keskin 

I experience similar issues. it's not the phone...

I would start with removing and reinstalling the sim with the device off and then reset the network settings

you're best bet would be to try 3g and see if the gives you a more accurate reading. what happens is lte will lose connection when driving and also our 3mb throttle is inconsistent... it's not good for GPS. another option is to download offline maps and see if that helps

make sure your location is set to accurate. 

@Keskin 

When you have time go thru these troubleshooting tips...

https://www.nextpit.com/how-to-improve-your-gps-signal-on-your-android

If you are thinking about a new phone this is the time of year to start looking to buy....depending on what you find important there are deals to be found via B&H Photo or swiftronics. I just bought the Google Pixel 3 xl from swiftronics via Amazon.ca (saved the shipping fee by purchasing thru Amazon.ca) all in for $267.

Crikey!! I spoil my bf....whats wrong with me?!!😀

Keskin

@softech 

Ya I might have to. If I can be certain the phone is the problem and not the provider, which seems to be the case, and if theres no way to fix it with this phone. 

But I will try tommorow and see if it's better.

@Keskin maybe time to upgrade a new phone?  Samsung A1x is a solid entry level phone around $200.  

Costco always carries some decent phones at the $350 range, like Moto. 

Keskin

@darlicious 

I have the Ulefone Note 9P. It's a really cheap obscure phone and this may the cause of the problem.

I don't seem to get any live view calibrate option even if I enter a location first, just normal calibrate. 

I've tried many times in different ways and it just doesnt seem to work or say that its calibrated. 

I don't know if it's just coincidence or as a result of one of the troubleshooting things I tried but direction is now updating accurately rather than being frozen, (though location accuracy is still low). Although, I think this was an intermittent issue to begin with.

@Keskin 

Lol....hold your arm out holding the phone in front of you making the figure 8 by twisting your wrist and covering about 18 inches in area.

But what is the make and model of your phone. If its older you may have to enter a code first.

Edit:

Follow these instructions...

1. On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app .
  2. Enter a destination in the search bar or tap a location on the map.
  3. Tap Your location. Calibrate with Live View.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions.
  5. Your position on Maps becomes more accurate once more data is gathered on your location.

@Keskin   you have any hard case?  maybe take the case out and see

also, you can try a factory reset.. it might not help, but there is a slight chance.

Keskin

@darlicious 

I never considered using airplane mode to restablish the connection, I will try that next time. Would definitely be faster than restarting. 

I'm trying the recalibration thing but it doesnt seem to be making much of a difference and my location accuracy remains low. I don't think I'm doing it wrong. 

If I was being recorded right now, they'd wonder what the hell I'm doing waving my phone and spinning around like this.

@Keskin wrote:

My OS and delivery app are up to date but google maps apparently wasnt. I just updated it. 

@Keskin 

There are also different kind of GPS app.  You might want to download it on your phone, have your friends to download the same one and compare the result.

@Keskin 

This is pretty normal especially once you enter the elevator. If they happen to be in the centre of the building there is a lot of construction material around you impeding the signal. Switching to 3G won't necessarily improve this that would depend on the band's signal that you are connecting with at the closest tower. This is also why some buildings depending on their location can be worse than others.

If you visit certain locations on a regular basis see if they have a free public wifi that you can save and connect to once you enter their free wifi zone. This will ensure you have a good signal and save on your data costs. You can go to telus's free wifi map to find all the wifi hotspots in your area. There are also a couple of free apps that do this....I will look up mine....

You need to recalibrate your GPS......

Put your Google maps app on then move your phone in a figure 8 motion 4 times and this should fix your GPS location issue.

Edit:

Oops....I almost forgot. Toggle airplane mode on/off to re-establish a new connection to the network.

Keskin

I did think it could be a device issue as my phone is kinda cheap. I will try the troubleshooting tips suggested and see if that helps. 

My OS and delivery app are up to date but google maps apparently wasnt. I just updated it. 

@Keskin   Also, you might want to try post your question on Reddit, it has a bigger use base and they might be able to help.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ulefone/

As for the other network.  If you have a friend or relative able to lend you their SIM for a day or two, try it. .test it out

if not, and if you don't mind to spend $10 for the SIM and one month cost, try it on another Prepaid provider.  In fact, if you activate with some mobile shops, they might give you the SIM for free.    Use another prepaid for a month and see.  But I don't think it is an issue with the network.

Pawprints1986

Coverage wise, we share the same as main telus, so that shouldn't be a thing. The data is a little slower though

But that said, my device works best or has best reception in wcdma mode (I think that's 3g). But I live on ground floor of a building, with another building as my view, and as well as several large trees. 

This solution is working for me, until I believe 2025 when they're going to kill 3g. It's a long while away but also not *that* long. But maybe they'll improve/add more LTE towers before then? Who knows

Gps can (mess) up when losing reception too

edited by computergeek541: terms of service (language)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Keskin 

you can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

do reset network, visit  Here link,

and go Changing APN Settings On Android device

click Here link,

Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visit Here link,

Select the brand and model of your phone, After doing so, you will be provided with the exact APNs required for your phone on our network.

and do Rebooting your phone,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

can you try manually selecting network "3G ONLY" or WCDMA only,

for android visit Here link ,

and do Rebooting your phone ,This is quick and simple

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Keskin honest, both issue  sound to me more like a device issue., especially with the GPS issue.

with the network issue, try changing to 3G Only and see how it goes

but again, i think it is more a device issue.

Another thing, is your device fully updated with the OS ?  are apps all updated too?

Need Help? Let's chat.