cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any plans to have 4g LTE data speeds

ElleBee83
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I currently manage my moms cell service provider with Public Mobile (talk & text only) but I am considering switching over my own service to here.  Just wondering if anyone else had a similar issue and how "switch" affected their use of data and if the speeds were noticeable?

also is there any outlook for public mobile to offer 4 g LTE data speeds?

14 REPLIES 14

davidsharp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for adding that, nice to know. 

Chandell25

I use everything when I'm not in WiFi; Spotify, Facebook, messenger, iMessage, Snapchat, Shazam, and a lot of other apps that use data and I barely ever have any problems. Unless I'm in area with not so great service (which is expected) it still works fine on 3g. If there was one problem I would say my gps (maps) can be a little behind. Or maybe I'm too fast haha 

lorca01

I noticed a difference in speed, but you get used to it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ElleBee83 wrote:

Walmart is where we activated my moms plan and the sim was free in store, mind you it was a promo at the time. What is the cost of a sim if they charge?

Now I'm wondering about an upcoming promos. My contract is up in May so I'm keeping my eyes open 🧐

If you do like a promo that comes along, you can always sign up and then when your other thing finishes port it over then. Or do the math on the savings compared to buying out (assuming your contract is due to a phone purchase).

@ElleBee83 wrote:

Walmart is where we activated my moms plan and the sim was free in store, mind you it was a promo at the time. What is the cost of a sim if they charge?

They're generally $10, but they can be acquired for ~$7 or $8 if you get 'em from Amazon, or Ebay.

Now I'm wondering about an upcoming promos. My contract is up in May so I'm keeping my eyes open 🧐

Good plan - you might luck into something between now & then.

ElleBee83

@AE_Collector wrote:

Same here, didn't notice the difference at all in what I use data for.

Remember that you can very easily try it out for $15....(if you can get a free SIM with activation) on the $15 plan with a new number so you don't Port away from your current provider....yet. can't do too much experimenting with 256Mb but enough to try it out. 

@ElleBee83  If you want to try it, to experiment, the part that @AE_Collector  mentioned above, about the free SIM, was referring to Walmart, i.e. some Walmart stores give customers the SIM for free, IF the customer activates that SIM in-store. If, however, you want to activate it yourself, some Walmart stores won't even sell you the SIM, so you might have to get one elsewhere.

Coworker of mine switched his daughter to PM, who was very hesitant to do so because they were worried about the speed with Spotify.

Well, they switched, Spotify works great, and they couldn't be happier with the savings!

ElleBee83

Makes sense about the data being one step behind since. Thanks

as for the acct email for my mom am I able to change it to her own email (which I could still have access to)? And then have my community account linked up to my potential new account?

ElleBee83

Good idea. My phone is already unlocked I never thought about a trial 😁

ElleBee83

The major thing I'd be using data for is on streaming music off Spotify etc., occasionally watching a movie on Netflix and some youtube; push notifications for email, messenger and iMessaging while not at home or work.

Same here, didn't notice the difference at all in what I use data for.

Remember that you can very easily try it out for $15....(if you can get a free SIM with activation) on the $15 plan with a new number so you don't Port away from your current provider....yet. can't do too much experimenting with 256Mb but enough to try it out. 

AE_Collector

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@ElleBee83 wrote:

I currently manage my moms cell service provider with Public Mobile (talk & text only) but I am considering switching over my own service to here.  Just wondering if anyone else had a similar issue and how "switch" affected their use of data and if the speeds were noticeable?

If you don't download a lot of music or stream movies...you probably won't have any complaints with Public Mobile speeds.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@ElleBee83 wrote:

For the vast majority of users the 3GonLTE is going to be fine.  Unless you are gaming or trying to stream 4K video to your phone I don't think you will have an issue.

I can't see PM going LTE until 5G is widely in use by the higher tiers.  They have to keep some sort of service provided differential

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.