cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional US Roaming Charges with Bought Data Add-on?

Kurasari
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all,

I bought the 1GB Data US Roaming add-on, but nothing additional to cover call/text roaming while in the US. I've scoured the FAQ/forum/google but wasn't able to find out whether or not I'll face additional charges for roaming, even if nobody back home calls or texts. 

Does anybody know the answer? And/or whether or not it's possible to block in-coming calls or texts? (At least until I'm back home.)

Thanks,

B.

5 REPLIES 5

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Kurasari Hangouts is great for outbound calls becuase you can have it send your own phone number as caller ID and the people you are calling won't know any different, they'll just see a call from your number as usual.  Where Fongo is handy is for inbound calls.  Download and install the app, then set up a free Fongo account, and choose a phone number in your own province.  Before leaving Canada, turn on call forwarding on your phone to forward all calls to your Fongo number.  Then while you're away and have a data connection (through the US Roamign data add-in or via WiFi), you can receive calls on your regular number as they forward into the Fongo app over data.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Kurasari

I was actually planning on using Google Hangouts for my calls haha. Great minds think alike. 😉

Thanks for the rec, will check out fongo.com as well.

@Kurasari Have a look at fongo.com or Google Hangouts if you want to make calls using data only.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Kurasari

That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks for confirming!

B.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The service is a pure prepaid service.  There are no billing surprises.  If you buy a service and pay for it, it will work.  If you did not pay for something, it will not work.  If you did not buy talk, you will simply not have that service in the US. 

Need Help? Let's chat.