cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add on US roaming

beantea4PM
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am going to Las Vegas  and plan to add on US roaming text and talk $15 ( 10 days). Currently, I have 4 GB data in my account. Anyone knows can I use the data when I am in US? What network that I will be using when I am in US?

5 REPLIES 5

venigab
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You cant use Canadian data within the US. but for $20 roaming 

, you get calls/sms and 250 m data. If you want more data to use within the US the you have to buy more roaming data for US. Networks (T-MOBILE) sometimes ATT. No VERIZON. 

But with US WIFI is everywhere free. 

You can buy Unlimited Data within US on Boingo(Plans start at $4.95 USD). Bon voyage. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

A bit of pre planning for you. 

1. If your account renews while on vacation, prepay your next payment before you leave. 

2. Find a voip app to make calls on over wifi. 

3. Find an alternative USA prepaid carrier. Make sure you have an unlocked phone. 

Why did I say that. 

1. The payment set up on a credit or debit......if that card goes awry when away then your PM account may get suspended if card does not work. And every time “if” mine does...it’s in the USA.  

2. Connections are getting unreliable in USA....so have an alternative. Texting inbound is still “supposed” to work while you are  in USA though. 

3. I have used Tracfone and bought SIM at Walmart. And others report that Mint mobile is good too. Not sure where  to buy a Mint SIM. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@beantea4PM 

Don't bother trying to use AT&T as no one has been able to connect to their network in months. I think pm's autopay failed and their Roaming agreement with AT&T is suspended. I hope they marked day 90 on their calendar or they might lose their account altogether?🤔😄

Have a read if the following post for info on US Roaming add ons just ignore everything about AT&T.

2https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

Edit:

T-Mobile's 2G network is hit and miss in Las Vegas depending on your location. You would be better off downloading textnow for your calling and texting and purchase a US Roaming data add on only. Leave a voicemail greeting with your Canadian textnow phone# for those needing to reach you. You will still recieve incoming pm SMS text messages but you will need to reply either via MMS text or by using textnow.

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@beantea4PM  us addon might work nothing else you have on your account will.. ie data etc..

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@beantea4PM 

Your 4 GB data  (either plan or add on) will not work in the United States.  You would need to purchase a US roaming data add on. 

Public mobile uses T mobile and AT&T. 

See below on the issues with roaming with PM:

The issue with Public mobile US roaming at the present time is the decommissioning of 3G Networks in the USA.  Public mobile uses AT&T and T mobile as their US partner carriers.  AT&T already phased out 3G network earlier this year. T mobile 's date was July 1.  It may take time for the different areas in USA to decommissioned. 

According to Public mobile,

PM will have T mobile 2G network for US roaming.(for talk)

Voice and SMS text will still work. 

Data will work on LTE, but will switch over to 2G to make a call. 

However, the quality of service will vary depending on the different coverage areas when roaming in the USA.

Public mobile is working on a long term solution, but that will take time.

Here is some more info:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/us-roaming

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

Need Help? Let's chat.