cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ANDROID PHONES AND CUSTOM ROM/FIRMWARE

s2scotty
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

For those of you using an older genertation android based phone, you may have noticed that your manufacturers' updates have become very infrequent or ceased altogether. Certain phones and tablets -- devices -- are easy to switch to what's known as a "custom ROM."

A custom ROM is a customized variant, a legit open source extention, of google's android operating system tailored to your device and tweeked per the specific distrobution's goals (e.g. speed and security, or more gaming than business, et cetera). In most cases a custom ROM is faster and more up to date with regard to bug fixes and security patches. There are many, many sources and variants of custom ROMS. All/any ROM is device specific. You have to mate and match.

A very good custom ROM distribution (many device specific editions) is LineageOS. LineageOS 14.1 parallels and paces google's android 7.1.1 quite faithfully. It is free of ad and bloat ware, though, as YOU install YOUR apps, ad and bloat may leak in via YOUR choices. Their downloads area can be found at https://download.lineageos.org/

I have five devices running LineageOS and all are stable and smooth running. Most are "faster" (smoother) than with origianl "stock" ROM/firmware.

I recommend old devices be tried first. Older typically mean more than two (2) years because -- 1) it is typically at the end of two years that the original maker/brand stops posting native updates to their stock ROM; and 2) the device is out of warranty as flashing a custom ROM *may* invalidate the device warranty and/or the carrier's technical carrier support.

Presently (2017Q1), the frequency of their updates to their ROM images is weekly. IMO, weekly is far better than the once-a-year or not-at-all cycle some brands provide.

For example, my NEXUS 5 phone is now running Android 7.1.1, Guava(7) and is security patched to 2017-JAN. If I was running stock, It would have to be 6.0.1, Guava(5) and 2016-11, respectively.

Happy ROM'ing.

/Scott

42 REPLIES 42

@MoreYummy wrote:

However each ROM has its own bugs, so need to keep changing to the one that suite you.

This applies to all ROMs, firmware, operating systems, and apps.  Not just to aftermarket or third-party or opensource ones, but also to the default factory stuff the OEM installed on the phone (along with all their updates).

It's nice to have the latest and greatest stuff, true ... but for me flashing a weekly update is a bit excessive.  My philosophy is to not break what already works, updates don't appeal to me unless they increase performance or enable more features/functionality or fix bugs/flaws or add compatibility with stuff I actually use (or plan to use).  A bunch of fancy new techbabble and version numbers which don't actually do anything useful just aren't worth my time and effort to keep at peak.  Other people have different opinions, needs, wants, and approaches, though, which are not less valid than mine.

Be aware that while the manufacturer's ROMs (and updates) might be full of bloat and junkware and telemetry (spyware), they at least assure full compatibility and full functionality with all the things they've built into the device.  Other ROMs from other sources are sometimes better in specifics and sometimes even better overall but also quite often have "unfinished" or "broken" components (such as operating the Bluetooth, WiFi, camera, or whatever other hardware) ... and they vary from version to version and device to device.  What works perfectly on one device may be a lousy choice on another.

I'm also skeptical about ROMs which promise performance improvements.  Some do, at least in some benchmarks.  Most don't.  As clean and clever as they may be, they are typically still forced to implement software/firmware workarounds for things the manufacturer was able to hardcode into the device - code running close to the hardware layers (in the "bare metal") will always run faster, and small code always runs faster, always, so the manufacturer often has an edge and savvy manufacturers actually leverage this advantage strongly.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kav2001c wrote:

@srlawrenprogramming a CDMA varient is weird (as above posters show, none of the normal codes will be accepted)

I know with Bell / Telus CDMA phones you MUST enter the MSL in order to open the programming screen

Otherwise Bellus phones(even those with SIMs) were locked out from North America roaming and could only use GSM on international carriers

@kav2001c this is getting a bit above my head, but regardless the phone's specs clearly list support for 850MHz and 1900MHz UMTS.  It's physically capable of working with PM.  If Sprint has done something to mangle or impede it, I can't speak to that. The last CDMA phone I had was around a decade ago, when I left my Storm 9530 behind for an HSPA Bold 9700 and never looked back.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawrenprogramming a CDMA varient is weird (as above posters show, none of the normal codes will be accepted)

I know with Bell / Telus CDMA phones you MUST enter the MSL in order to open the programming screen

Otherwise Bellus phones(even those with SIMs) were locked out from North America roaming and could only use GSM on international carriers

srlawren

@kav2001c wrote:
 LTE band 25(1900), 26(850), 41(2500) - SM-G900P

@kav2001c that ony prevents it from using LTE data.  It can still use 3G (HSPA+) data, and calling, and texting, via the 850MHz + 1900MHz W-CDMA UMTS, which it supports.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

LTE band 25(1900), 26(850), 41(2500) - SM-G900P

@mmmelissathat phone can never work

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5_(usa)-6338.php

It lacks the correct bands for LTE support

Physically impossible

@mmmelissa wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

@mmmelissaas LTE?

Most Sprint phones would be set to only roam at HSPA (or worse 3G) and default to CDMA

If you can post the S5 model number we can confirm what is supported

(Also note many custom ROMs have very different versions, based on hardware and carrier support)

Its a SM-G900P. I have it set to GSM/WCDMA auto and it still doesnt work.

mmmelissa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@kav2001c wrote:

@mmmelissaas LTE?

Most Sprint phones would be set to only roam at HSPA (or worse 3G) and default to CDMA

(Also note many custom ROMs have very different versions, based on hardware and carrier support)

@mmmelissa wrote:

Yup, PM worked with the Sprint Android OS. 

Its a SM-G900P. I have it set to GSM/WCDMA auto and it still doesnt work.

@mmmelissaas LTE?

@mmmelissa wrote:

mmmelissa

Thanks everyone for your help! I think I am gunna give up and just suffer with crappy Sprint bloatware for now and maybe check out LineageOS in 6 months or so. I have spent way too much time on this!

mmmelissa

@brent_liza wrote:

If that didn't work then Dial *#*#4636#*#* from your Android phone.

There will appear a “Testing Menu”. Select “Phone Information” from the category.

Now an option “Run Ping Test” will appear on the screen. Tap this option.

Scroll down the page where you will see a drop down menu. Tap this menu to show its options. Now click “GSM Auto (PRL).

Below will be the option “Turn Radio Off”. Select it and reboot your phone to work it effectively. Hopefull this will get rid of the problem. 

Did this. No dice. (I am assuming the Turn Radio Off button is now the "Mobile Radio Power" toggle)

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mmmelissa wrote:

I did a factory reset and was able to get the old OS to detect the network. I checked its preferred network type, and it was set to auto. I am wondering if it might be that. LineageOS defaults to CDMA + LTE/EvDo. Does anyone know what it should be or what their working phones are set to?

Well that's good!!

As you've found Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile doesn't use CDMA any longer - see the posts by @srlawren and @brent_liza for hints on what you want to set it as.

Or list the available options here and someone will be able to tell you.

srlawren

@mmmelissa you should be looking for something like "UMTS" or "W-CDMA" 3G.

brent_liza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Telus has phased out CDMA. Is there a 3G-4G option that you see? Did you look at my post from up above that may help you if you have the software downloaded?

mmmelissa

@koimr1 wrote:

@mmmelissa wrote:

Ok, I am out of my league on this one. 🙂 I've never had any issues before with Lineage but then I've never had to deal with it on a Samsung phone.

You mentioned you restored a backup but you didn't say if you did a factory reset - if this was my phone that would be my next step.

I did a factory reset and was able to get the old OS to detect the network. I checked its preferred network type, and it was set to auto. I am wondering if it might be that. LineageOS defaults to CDMA + LTE/EvDo. Does anyone know what it should be or what their working phones are set to?

koimr1

@srlawren wrote:

@koimr1 The Sprint version is the G900P, and it appears to have the required 3G 850MHz + 1900MHz frequencies.  It should be compatible, though not with 4G LTE as it lacks any useful bands for the Telus network.

Yeah, I see that now and @mmmelissa said it did work previously (although obviously no LTE), hopefully he or she has got it working now (haven't heard anything for a couple hours).

srlawren

@koimr1 wrote:

Edit: Has your S5 ever worked with PM? I ask as you mention Sprint so I'm taking that to mean this phone was originally on the Sprint network in the US - Sprint uses CDMA and generally phones from Sprint and Verizon are incompatible with other carriers that use GSM. I say generally as there's always exceptions, of course. 🙂

@koimr1 The Sprint version is the G900P, and it appears to have the required 3G 850MHz + 1900MHz frequencies.  It should be compatible, though not with 4G LTE as it lacks any useful bands for the Telus network.

koimr1

@bilal684 wrote:

Does my phone have to be rooted to install the OS? I have an S7 edge which barely receives updates...

Your best bet would be to search on XDA for your phone model and go from there.

Installing a custom ROM is one of those things you're going to want to research and make sure you fully understand each step - there's no jumping in unarmed. 🙂

bilal684

Does my phone have to be rooted to install the OS? I have an S7 edge which barely receives updates...

koimr1

@mmmelissa wrote:

Ok, I am out of my league on this one. 🙂 I've never had any issues before with Lineage but then I've never had to deal with it on a Samsung phone.

You mentioned you restored a backup but you didn't say if you did a factory reset - if this was my phone that would be my next step.

mmmelissa

koimr1

@mmmelissa wrote:

It doesnt seem to see public mobile at all. Texts dont work. Neither do voice calls. Dont know about data, bucause I dont have that on my plan. 

Thanks.

See my edit on my first post - has this phone ever worked on Public Mobile for you?

Check out the responses from @brent_liza as maybe that could be your answer - I've personally never had this issue myself.

brent_liza

If that didn't work then Dial *#*#4636#*#* from your Android phone.

There will appear a “Testing Menu”. Select “Phone Information” from the category.

Now an option “Run Ping Test” will appear on the screen. Tap this option.

Scroll down the page where you will see a drop down menu. Tap this menu to show its options. Now click “GSM Auto (PRL).

Below will be the option “Turn Radio Off”. Select it and reboot your phone to work it effectively. Hopefull this will get rid of the problem. 

brent_liza

mine was on a moto E though. I hope it works. 

brent_liza

I faced the same issue a while back. I found out a way, which at least worked for me.
Here is what I did:
Go to dialer, type #*#*4636*#*#.
Then tap on the first option.
Then tap on the 3 dots o the top right.
Select radio band as automatic.
This should solve the problem. If it doesn't install RR and repeat the above steps. There will be 2 automatic in RR, try both of them, 1 should work.

mmmelissa

It doesnt seem to see public mobile at all. Texts dont work. Neither do voice calls. Dont know about data, bucause I dont have that on my plan. 

Thanks.

koimr1

@mmmelissa wrote:

(I should mention my SIM still works in another phone)

@mmmelissa wrote:

Perhaps one of you can help me with my S5. I put LineageOS on it and it couldnt detect the network. So I restored from my Sprint backup, and it now has also lost the ability to detect the network. I am guessing that when I backed up the Sprint Android OS, that I missed backing up some sort of configuration.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

Do you mean it doesn't see Public Mobile at all or just mobile data doesn't work (and calls/texting do work)?

Edit: Has your S5 ever worked with PM? I ask as you mention Sprint so I'm taking that to mean this phone was originally on the Sprint network in the US - Sprint uses CDMA and generally phones from Sprint and Verizon are incompatible with other carriers that use GSM. I say generally as there's always exceptions, of course. 🙂

mmmelissa

(I should mention my SIM still works in another phone)

@mmmelissa wrote:

Perhaps one of you can help me with my S5. I put LineageOS on it and it couldnt detect the network. So I restored from my Sprint backup, and it now has also lost the ability to detect the network. I am guessing that when I backed up the Sprint Android OS, that I missed backing up some sort of configuration.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

mmmelissa

Thanks.

s2scotty

Agree mostly, @MoreYummy.

Yes, always backup before doing anything. Yes, know where to get, and have in hand just in case, your device's stock (original) ROM to flash back to if *&%! happens trying to flash forward to a custom ROM.

However,

In 2017Q1, a, say S5, "froozen" at 5.1.1 and security patch level of July 2015 is not, imo, a good thing though it run quite well.  IMO, in 2017Q1, a S5 at 7.1.1 and security patched to January 2017 is a very good thing.

Thusly,

There are tonnes of custom ROMs out there adn some are risky. There are only a few established ROM distro's, and by distro I mean mature code base with good coding practices and version controls, and a goodly number of regular contributing developers (not just "bob" when he feels like it). 

The ROMs mentioned in an earlier post meet the good criteria.  There are others too, but as an IT guy who's friends turn to for these things, these are the ROMs I'll guide them to because it causes them, and in turn, me very few to no headaches.

Your milage may vary (YMMV).

Cheers,

/S

s2scotty

The S5 is a well supported phone in the well-proven custom ROM arena -- lineageOS, slim6 and slim7 (slimROMS), and resurection remix (RR).

I just flashed over a friends S5 to lineageOS 14.1 and it's smooth and stable as can be. One advantage you have when flashing is tweeking the underlying file system . The historic default file system type is "ext4". It was designed for spinning hard drivers. While it works for flash based storage, it is not optimal. Enter file system type "f2fs". It is purpose built for flash storage and affords a near 15x speed increase on "writing" to the flash and a lesser increase on reads from the flash.

If you reformat your flash partitions to f2fs (from ext4), then you will see a performance boost. f2fs file system requires a minimium ROM version of 6.0.1 (marshmellow) and is vastly improved in 7.1.1 if your device will take 7 (nougat).

More food for thought.

Cheers,

/Scott

Need Help? Let's chat.