Did you mean: 

5g

Bert05
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is upgrading to 5g worthwhile?

3 REPLIES 3

dwh1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

First off, if your phone is 5g capable, you can already connect to the 5g network if your phone’s settings are set to do so. That means that any you are already getting any reliability improvements 5g may offer.

That leaves speed, and frankly even the 100 mbps speed that PM’s “4g speed” plans offer is more than fast enough for anything you are going to do on the phone,  The one reason might be if you are going to tether your laptop AND are doing routinely things that need a lot of network speed.

But then the data limits come into play. Assuming you are doing something that can use the full speed of the connection (eg. downloading very large files), even a 100 mbps plan can - if you are actually getting that speed (distance to tower, network congestion, etc) use up a 50 GB plan in just over an hour.  At the “5g speed”, that would take less than a half hour. In other words, these data limits are far to low to take real advantage of the speed.

The “5g speed” plans also have the advantage of slowing down (by a lot) but not stopping when you use up your data.  That speed is only (256 kbps - one thousandth of full speed) so it’s good for emergency use but if you care about the speed that those plans can offer, you won’t be happy with the slow speed. I think it’s best viewed as being good for emergencies when you run out of data with a day or two left before your plan renews.

Overall I’d say get a “5g plan” if the data allotment makes sense to you, but ignore the speed in making that decision. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Bert05  It is if you want faster speed and unlimited data . All 5G plans come with unlimited and if you’re willing to pay $165 for 90 days . You get 150GB for 90 days . Works out to $55 a month that’s cheap 5G services with one big bucket of data 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Bert05 if you need the extra data, YES

For the speed, unless you need to hotspot to laptop, i think 4g is good enough 

Need Help? Let's chat.