cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g tablet

Yodes
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Can I toss my sim/public mobile sim into one of those 4g tablets? Sorry can't find a support thread on the subject. Big hands/small phones incase your wondering

5 REPLIES 5

saturna
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

As mentioned by others, YMMV.

Generally speaking the tablets sourced combined with a tablet plan from a (Canadian) provider or from Samsung and Apple will do data only. You'll need a VoIP app for calls.

There are a few obscure chinese brand 4G/LTE tablets on Amazon that have Android versions that essentially make them 7" / 8" phones. (The same brands also offer some 10" tablets but I'm not sure about the phone function on them.) If you choose to take the privacy / safety risk and go that route make sure that the device you are ordering has the frequencies to work well in Canada - just because it's available on Amazon.ca doesn't mean it's compatible with the networks here.

I do have a cheap 8" Blackview "phone" which runs on Android 11. Needless to say that all accounts registered on it are "anonymus" as much as possible - uncluding the PM plan. While able to fully function as gps and emergency phone, it's primarily the kid's entertainment gadget for long drives.

Personally, with medium sized hands, I find even 6" phones unwieldy - you must have a really hard time when buying gloves / mitts!!

Yodes
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

They have sim slots, dual sim slots, also everything on your phone is an app usually downloadable through the Google Play store. And like I said big hands small phone. And tbh with it being 2020+ the only time I make a phone call is to my 80, and 90 year old grandma...does/has anyone put a public mobile sim card into a tablet and accessed the network? Or do I have to buy one and guinea pig it?

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You should be able to use it for Data only in your Tablet, since Tablets and iPads can't make calls or SMS Messages, those features may not work but Data should. 🙂

maple_leaf
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Yodes , If your phone allows wireless data tethering (hotspot), you could connect your tablet to your phone's data. If you are wanting to insert the SIM into your tablet and use it like you would a phone, your mileage may vary. Search keyword "tablet" in Community to see older posts on the subject. Hope this helps.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Yodes 

Sorry, the PM SIM will only work on phones but it doesn’t hurt to try.

Need Help? Let's chat.