cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g future

Scamp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Are you going to offer 4 G in the future, maybe when 5G is more common?

7 REPLIES 7

Scamp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

A big thank you to all for helping explain this to me.

krysib
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

THIS actually explained so much to me!! Thank you!! I was confused that I was still listed as “LTE” on my phone — but it makes so much more sense now that you’ve said it as “LTE with throttled speeds”

@popping wrote:

It will take a while to get 5G.  We will get full LTE after Telus turns off 3G transmitters.  Not until then, we will be on LTE lite for a while.

We can't know for sure if Public Mobile customers will get full LTE after any shutdown of the HSPA+ network. Public Mobile could just as easily enable VoLTE but leave the speeds the same. Either way, that's years away.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

PM use 3G for voice calls and LTE capped to 3Mbps for data.  You can call the LTE capped to 3Mbps as LTE lite if you will.  For user experience on a mobile phone is acceptable as

1.  I will not download a huge file using mobile data.

2.  LTE low latency allows quick turn around during browsing. 

3.  watching 720p video

It will take a while to get 5G.  We will get full LTE after Telus turns off 3G transmitters.  Not until then, we will be on LTE lite for a while.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Scamp 

It's a common misconception at PM.

"data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network."

PM mobile data works on LTE network. However calls work on 3G network only.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

We don't even have voice over LTE or WiFi calling yet unfortunately... But yes, PM does operate on LTE just throttled down artificially to 3G like speeds. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

PM is LTE just throttled to 3 g speeds.

Need Help? Let's chat.