cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G service

jagrl1942
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I understand 3G service is being phased out over the next year. What will happen to us on a 3G service? Will we have to upgrade to 4G or our phones wont work? 

Thank you

Bob

5 REPLIES 5

@will13am wrote:

@jagrl1942 , the roadmap for 3G sunsetting in Canada is 2025.  I would not worry about it because it will likely be extended.  That said, as already mentioned, this service runs primarily on 4G/LTE and will soon be exclusively on 4G/LTE (finger crossed).

I wouldn't be worried about it not working at all, but rather about the decreasing relability that will result as the 3g network doesn't get maintained or tweaked, and as more of the network resources are removed for 3g and assigned to other network types.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@jagrl1942 

when 3g is discontinued one needs to make sure the device is volte capable. if/when public adopts volte, customers will have about a 2 year timeline to update their devices. same idea when companies were phasing out 2g

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jagrl1942 , the roadmap for 3G sunsetting in Canada is 2025.  I would not worry about it because it will likely be extended.  That said, as already mentioned, this service runs primarily on 4G/LTE and will soon be exclusively on 4G/LTE (finger crossed).

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@jagrl1942   please note one thing, your 3G service is in fact 3G Speed service  You can use LTE and 4G for your mobile data, just that the data speed is capped at 3Mbps.  And if your phone is selected Automatic for Preferred network type, your phone likely using 4G or LTE for data

however, PM does use 3G for voice and ONLY using 3G for voice at the moment.  It is expected PM will move to VoLTE very soon,, hopefully this year.  

So, once they moved to VoLTE, we will only need LTE even you are on 3G speed plan

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@jagrl1942 

That won't happen for a while.

Hopefully we will get Volte before then.

Need Help? Let's chat.