cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

@NL1wrote:

@ShawnC13wrote:

@NL1wrote:

If PM had any decency they would give 3 months notice instead of 30 days that way nobody would lose the money if they want to switch to Koodo.

They did this on purpose to pocket as much money as they can cause you are basically paying double if you just renewed and don't use the tab. Cause you are paying Koodo for those months after you already paid PM. It's ridiculous.

That is why Koodo is giving the $100 credit

Only if you take a tab. If you don't want one you don't get anything.

Not true someone has just posted they went through the process without getting a tab and it showed the credit was still there for them.  They didn't do the final step but it was showing

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@NL1wrote:

@ShawnC13wrote:

Not true.

NL1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@ShawnC13wrote:

@NL1wrote:

If PM had any decency they would give 3 months notice instead of 30 days that way nobody would lose the money if they want to switch to Koodo.

They did this on purpose to pocket as much money as they can cause you are basically paying double if you just renewed and don't use the tab. Cause you are paying Koodo for those months after you already paid PM. It's ridiculous.

@DesiMonkwrote:

Any idea where to file complaint? I like to do it with proper words crafted by layers.

How to make a CCTS complaint 

The CRTC has created a Wireless Code that applies to all wireless service providers in Canada. The Wireless Code Checklist helps you understand what your rights are under the Wireless Code. If you have a complaint and are unable to reach a satisfactory resolution with Public Mobile, the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS) may be able to assist you at ccts-cprst.ca or 1-888- 221-1687.

DesiMonk

Any idea where to file complaint? I like to do it with proper words crafted by layers.

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Kalymwrote:

its not a credit - or its not a credit if you *dont* use a tab.  its robbery.

as you posted elsewhere - the best thing to do is leave.  go elsewhere. 

i would, but i paid up at an agreed price.

The "offer details" seem to imply that it only applies if you get a tab, but even if you don't have a tab in your cart, it still shows the "$100 One-time bill credit After tax" in the cart. Didn't complete the switchover because I'm waiting to see if competition offers a better deal (also waiting as long as possible to minimize the credit that I lose for porting out), but at the very least they *are* showing the credit as being available for non-tab orders.

MVP
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

**bleep** I replied  to this thread, and now my e-mail gets bombarded by notifications of the new messages every few seconds...

How to unsubscribe ? 🙂

P.S. R.I.P. P.M. You will always be  in our hearts 🙂

Wi11iam

Agreed, I think part of the plan price increase was probably to offset all the credits that most people are getting but either way not a smart decision on their part.

PBForMe

@Wi11iamwrote:

Looks like PM doesn't want to give us credits anymore for being loyal. I hope Fido or another non Telus player takes notice and makes a special offer for us as I don't like the way they handled this.

They could have completely axed the credits and I'd be disappointed, but not angry... they never said they'd keep them forever.

Changing the plan price that they claimed would not change as long as I kept the account in good standing makes me angry. That's just plain deceptive.

Not to mention their complete silence on the issue. What are the exact terms of the Koodoo offer, in writing? Is it a one time credit first month only? Is it applied x dollars every month? Does it only apply towards a tab/addons? Who's to say they just wont change the plan 2 months in? Who knows, they don't say a word. 

mjs
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The CCTS will receive the complaints but with limited action .

In addition to them,  there is something called the Consumer Protection Act applicable in each province.  Public Mobile's operations in each province is bound by their licence . There are a lot more options that can be pursued,  in addition to the CCTS , in order to hold Public Mobile legally accountable for their actions . I will be pursuing every option available to me. 

Kalym

its not a credit - or its not a credit if you *dont* use a tab.  its robbery.

as you posted elsewhere - the best thing to do is leave.  go elsewhere. 

i would, but i paid up at an agreed price.

@NL1wrote:

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

NL1

They did this on purpose to pocket as much money as they can cause you are basically paying double if you just renewed and don't use the tab. Cause you are paying Koodo for those 2 months after you already paid PM. It's ridiculous.

mike390

@RLBLwrote:

@yowrote:

Right here:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises."

Blatent false advertsing. I will also be submitting a complaint to the CRTC.

The unfortnate thing is:

It does not say forever. Although it is misleading, it really means it will "remain at $120, as long as the plan is valued $120"

Very misleading but that is what their lawyers have cooked up (we have all seen it)

It doesn't say "as valued" anywhere. There are multiple screenshots of PM confirming the price will not change as well in texts, emails and forum posts.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
Spoiler
Public Mobile increases rate on promo plan, offers subscribers $40/4GB Koodo plan By Rose Behar FEB 15, 20184:03 PM EST 0 COMMENTS In another move to herd Public Mobile customers toward postpaid service, the Telus-owned prepaid carrier is bumping the price of one its most popular recent promo plans, but offering similar pricing if they switch to Koodo, another Telus flanker band. The $120/12GB 90-day promotional rate plan with unlimited province-wide talk is increasing by $30. This makes it $50 per month, rather than $40. The promotional plan was a competitive offer to Freedom Mobile’s own $40/4GB plan, which no longer exists, replaced by the new Big Gig rate plan overhaul. In a text message to customers, Public writes: “Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and unlimited Canada-wide minutes for $40/month.” The text also notes customers will get a $100 bill credit. While this Koodo plan is a strong deal next current in-market pricing, which puts a 4GB BYOD plan at $65, the Public Mobile customers that notified MobileSyrup of the deal noted that many subscribers have payment and loyalty credits that can total up to a $10 discount or more. Additionally, MobileSyrup commenters have pointed out that the $120/12GB plan was promoted as one that would not change as long as they remained an active customer. On the Public Mobile community forums, multiple customers have commented that they will submit a complaint with the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services. In response to MobileSyrup‘s request for comment, a representative for the CCTS said the commission could not comment on the case but noted: “I can tell you that the role of the CCTS is to ensure that providers respect the commitments made to their customers, and if we receive complaints regarding price changes/increases we will look into them and ensure that customers receive what they were promised.” This is not the first round of promotional texts to go out recently. Last week, a MobileSyrup reader received an offer for a $40 Koodo plan that included 2GB of data and unlimited Canada-wide calling. They had a $120 90-day plan with 6GB of data and unlimited provincial talk. There was no accompanying notice of an increase in price to the customer’s Public Mobile plan, however. In Telus’ most recent earnings call, CEO and president Darren Entwistle said a strong focus for the company is “moving people up the value chain” through prepaid to postpaid migration. Update 15/02/18: Article updated with additional context. Update 15/02/18 (2): Article updated with comment from CCTS. Featured Articles Public Mobile increases rate on promo plan, offers subscribers $40/4GB Koodo plan BlackBerry KEYone Silver and Black Edition discounted in Canada BritBox by BBC and ITV streaming platform debuts in Canada for $8.99 a month Sign-up for MobileSyrup news sent straight to your inbox Related Articles News JAN 15, 20181:31 PM EST Public Mobile is increasing the price of Legacy/Pioneer plans [Update] Resources NOV 7, 20176:53 PM EST Public Mobile offers 1GB add-on referral bonus for a limited time News FEB 9, 20184:56 PM EST Public Mobile offers subscribers upgraded Koodo plans for same monthly price Comments Categories News Reviews Features Resources Business Syrup Community Contact us About Us / Tips Contests Social FacebookTwitterInstagramYouTubeGoogle+Reddit Newsletter Signup © 2018 MOBILESYRUP.COM PRIVACY. TERMS OF USE. 

Read more at MobileSyrup.comPublic Mobile increases rate on promo plan, offers subscribers $40/4GB Koodo plan

adobochad

This is actually more ridiculous than I thought.

I JUST paid my prepaid on February 2nd, so Public Mobile is telling me I have a month to switch out then they're going to either force me to switch or get shafted by $30.

I encourage everyone to file a complaint here: https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/

I have already done so, takes 10 minutes max.

Also, note, send a PM to one of the staff here so you can say you contacted them as it is a pre-requisite. 

Jenn67

I was able to get to that link.  So the price increase is true??

rrturner

@Moderator_Team

I am looking to get your billing proposal resolved in the next 48 hours, in that I would like Public Mobile to honour its commitment to me to keep my billing as a $120/90 day plan.  Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you; hopefully this can be resolved before any CCTS complaint is required.

Thanks!

Wi11iam

Looks like PM doesn't want to give us credits anymore for being loyal. I hope Fido or another non Telus player takes notice and makes a special offer for us as I don't like the way they handled this.

mjs
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

To clarify one thing: the CRTC does not havehave the power to enforce codes on telecommunication companies . Complaining to them is the first step. 

Usually what is required here is as follows (and I speak from personal experience as a paralegal) :

- you either file an individual claim in provincial court. It would be then classified as small claims. 

- or initiate a class action in supreme court. This is the recommended option for this kind of situation .

E

Whichever option you choose , you cannot initiate it until after Public Mobile has performed what they are advising of.  In other words,  you cannot Sue until they break agreement first. 

In addition to that,  you MUST have taken every possible option to resolve it with Public Mobile 1St before you proceed with anany legal claim.  Once those options have been exhausted and you believe that you have a case then you can proceed legally . You would be able to pursue damages resulting from contractual breach,  only in supreme court and not small claims.  In order for this to reach supreme court,  then a class action must be registered. Usually these matters end with settlements. Since Public Mobile operates on Telus's bandwidth and it being the parent company,  then you would also be able to name Telus as part of the claim. 

This is the last public posting that I make, in regards to this matter. 

j1

MobileSyrup reached out to the CCTS.

In response to MobileSyrup‘s request for comment, a representative for the CCTS said the commission could not comment on the case but noted:

“I can tell you that the role of the CCTS is to ensure that providers respect the commitments made to their customers, and if we receive complaints regarding price changes/increases we will look into them and ensure that customers receive what they were promised.”

Read more at MobileSyrup.comPublic Mobile increases rate on promo plan, offers subscribers $40/4GB Koodo plan

Jenn67

So is the price increase true? 

grantwall

Not that I expect it to do much, but I'd suggest tweeting ad some of the local news agencies about it. I've done that here:

https://twitter.com/grantwall/status/964269991246798848

@MoFromTo2016wrote:

What does a tab do?

Tab is sort of like a contract to get a phone. For example, a phone for $0 on a small tab which is $360 that you will need to pay in a small amount on a monthly basis. 

More info here: https://www.koodomobile.com/tab

CryptoMypto

I would like to know why my plan is increasing by $10 a month when I was promised it would remain unaltered.

If I do not hear back, or if the response I recieve is unsatisfactory, I will be filing a complaint with the CCTS.

This bait-and-switch behaviour and it will not be tolerated.

MoFromTo2016

What does a tab do?

Sean7979

Sean7979

Hello. I recieved a text message saying that my plans price is being raised and I can either continue to use this plan at a much higher price or switch to Koodo and pay the same price(minus all the discounts for auto-pay and loyalty, so actually also more expensive). My biggest issue(I have many) is that I just pre-paid my 90-day plan and only have until mid-March to switch to Koodo for this "deal". What happens to the remained of my current 90-days once I switch? Can I be refunded for the remaining days? Why could I have not been notified of these changes before I paid my bill.

echf

Bad, Bad, Bad timing! Why they offer this when every one was renewed? Especially Telus CEO already has this plan for some time.

They should either:

1) Bump the special bill discount to $220, compensate the cost we just renewed.

OR

2) Make the move deadline 4 months later

Teedo

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Moderators-Acknowledgement/m-p/217879

Straight from their mouths. We need to be seriously pissed with TELUS

Need Help? Let's chat.