Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3g vs 4g

Ozzi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi All, 

I'm considering switching over to Public,

However I did have a question about the plans. 

I've noticed it mentions the Data is over a 3G network. Does that mean the phone itself will only be over the 3g network? When i make calls, or text will it be sending it over 3g, or LTE?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Ozzi wrote:

I've noticed it mentions the Data is over a 3G network. Does that mean the phone itself will only be over the 3g network?

@Alan_K @Brooke_C I would just like to reiterate yet again that your "3G" naming convention on the throttled data plans continues to cause confusion to your new and potential new customers!!  Please, for the love of all that is good, please reconsider renaming them to LTE Light or literally anything other than the totally wrong name of "3G".  I will continue to tag you as I run into this until such time as you have fixed this (or you tell me to stop because it cannot be done for some reason).  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

There are a couple of LTE plans on PM that don't get mentioned much here. I know the more "enticing plans" are on the 3G/throttled LTE side of things. Would pick the one that works for you -- PM lets you jump from plan to plan with relative ease. Wouldn't be surprised if they add more LTE-level plans down the road too.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I've tested with a few apps and the job was done although it was noticeably slower than my Koodo phone on LTE.

Streaming HD Video didn't work so well but to be honest I didn't really give it a good test...

JaimeLaPizza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Ozzi, I use a plan with 3G speed and I find it perfect for emails and web surfing.  Small videos embedded in Twitter posts work fine as well (they are small and somewhat low resolution, so 3G speeds can handle it).  Can't tell you about media embedded in Facebook or other social media.  As @wetcoaster mentionned, 3G is not for downloading huge files, HD streaming or live gaming. I think it's great that Public Mobile offers different speeds for different users' needs.  Each can pick the one that suits him/her best... and sometimes, as for me, it means a lower price tag !  You could try a plan with 3G speed, and uppgrade to 4G is you find it not fast enough for your needs.  Remember: no contract at Public Mobile ! Smiley Very Happy

@Ozzi wrote:

Hi All, 

I've noticed it mentions the Data is over a 3G network. Does that mean the phone itself will only be over the 3g network? When i make calls, or text will it be sending it over 3g, or LTE?

Thanks

Data is not just over the 3g network.  If you take a plan advertised as having 3g data, that only means that when you are using the LTE network, speeds will be about 3Mbps.  Customers can use either the 3g or LTE networks for cellular data.  Phone calls always go through the 3g network.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Ozzi wrote:

Hi All, 

Thanks

So calls are over 3G.  Your data is on the lte network but throttled down.  They call it 3G, most around here call it LTE lite.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@Ozzi wrote:

Hi All, 

Thanks

"3G" is a misnomer here. Your data will delivered over LTE when and where available, with the according latency / fast responding time. However up and download speeds are throttled to 3Mbps. If you force the phone to a 3G connection you have access to faster speeds.

"LTE light" is perfectly usable for anything but download of huge files, HD streaming or live gaming, for which the data amounts are too small anyway. I use mine for e-mail, social media, voice and video calls over WhatsApp etc and it works perfectly fine.

Public Mobile does not offer VoLTE or WiFi calling so all voice calls will be over a 3G connection. Texts are delivered over 3G or 4G.

Need Help? Let's chat.