cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G or 4G?

hughdyment9
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I’ve noticed that Public mobile has recently introduced 4G data speeds into there plans… Can anyone tell me if these plans are really worth it? Has anyone gone from a 3G data speed plan to a 4G data speed plan and really noticed a substantial difference? The plans cost quite a lot more so I’m curious if it’s worth it or not. 

I personally am on a 3G data speed plan right now and don’t seem to be having any problems with it. But would I be surprised if I were to upgrade to a 4G plan?

6 REPLIES 6

Belfry

The difference between the two is basically just speed, when it comes to apps like TikTok it is quite noticable. 3g tends to buffer, while 4g there is none. If you don't watch many video's,or download apps on the go, you probably won't need it.

limited_user

For data speeds it really depends what you are using it for. If you are doing heavy streaming 4G will be a lot faster. Plans with 3G speed may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, and plans with 4G speed may reach download speeds up to 100 Mbps.

Haiggy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

3G plans also include the coverage and reliability of the LTE network though as well. It's like driving a Mercedes and a Ferrari at the speed limit. Not all areas will get 100Mbps, so if you like consistency, and don't feel throttled, then you can safely stick with the 3G speed limit.

Gooners

If you plan to heavy video streaming with 720 or better; then 4G is better. If you just use it to check emails, send pictures, messaging (whatsapp, FB etc.), listen to music (even streaming live), 3G is suffice. 

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@hughdyment9 

Plans with 3G speed may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, and plans with 4G speed may reach download speeds up to 100 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors.

Mercedes vs Ferrari ... so in the end both is drive.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@hughdyment9 , I think you answered your own question.  Don't fix if it ain't broke.  I don't see you getting any value out of faster data.

Need Help? Let's chat.