cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

249 Area code not working

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Pretty simple

Anyone with a provincial only calling plan having trouble calling the 249 area code. It’s a new one I guess, same area as 705. 

This is for anyone in Ontario. Apparently Telus has been giving out this area code for new numbers where I live. 

I should add, when you have a long distance add on, it works. So the system is treating the number like an out of province area code. 

15 REPLIES 15

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Good morning @Rockdaddy22

Thank you for reaching out to us, I'm sorry that no one responded here. 

I will be glad to assist you with this, can I please know if this is happening on all 249 numbers or only one specific phone number? 

Please send me a private message with your phone number and a little more detail about this ongoing issue. 

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

Rockdaddy22

Third time tagging @CS_Agent about this widespread issue. I encountered a local realtor who has a 249 number, I can’t contact her without using my long distance minutes. People who don’t have a long distance add on, can’t call at all. Please let me know if you guys are working on this situation. 

Rockdaddy22

@CS_Agent this is my second time tagging you guys. This is affecting many people in my area and is kind of ridiculous. Any news at all on this situation would be great. 

@marsbar wrote:

I'll one-up with a ROFLCOPTER

9ff

Here FTFY

Rockdaddy22

@CS_Agent any news on this situation?

marsbar
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'll one-up with a ROFLCOPTER

Kind of like going back to Local vs. Long Distance if you ask me.

Although I do not call outsdie of my Province on a regular basis, this would be a great fix for the calls that are *not long distance*, IF THEY WERE TO INCLUDE LOCAL CALLLING AREAS too.

But of course, a Local calling area would most likely need to be revised just as often, as new area code overlays are becoming very frequent, and not all local exchanges are updated at the time of the new area codes being applied.

srlawren

@computergeek541 wrote:

With all these issues with Public Mobile's provincial calling, I'm wondering if it's time that Public includes national-wide calling on all plans. 

@computergeek541 yes, I think this would be wise and would eliminate so much confusion and angst.  Texting and data are Canada-wide; all talk should be too.  IMHO.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rabbi
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Rockdaddy22 please remember always to accept as solution ho help you out

lol

Rockdaddy obviously knows that only moderators can fix something like this.  I'm almost certain that Luddite was joking. 

With all these issues with Public Mobile's provincial calling, I'm wondering if it's time that Public includes national-wide calling on all plans. 

@zhadj030 wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

Robot LOL Unfortunately you will need moderator assistance. Click this: message to moderators to send a private message to the moderator team with your phone number and an explanation.

LMAO

I will do on better, ROFLMAO.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

According to this site, the area code has been introduced many years ago.  You'd think whatever database the Telus uses should be identical to Public Mobile.  Stranger things have happened like with toll free numbers sometimes not going through because it is thought to be a long distance call. 

https://www.areacodelocations.info/news/new-ontario-area-code-249/

@Luddite wrote:

Robot LOL Unfortunately you will need moderator assistance. Click this: message to moderators to send a private message to the moderator team with your phone number and an explanation.

LMAO

Rockdaddy22

Lol

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.