cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer account but keep my current number?

iceman2g
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was wondering if it's possible to port out my current number, and port in a new number.

Here's the scenario.

My gf would like to move from Wind, but doesn't want to pay more than $45/mth. I'm currently with PM on the $40/mth promo that they had running a few months back. I would like to transfer my gf's number to my current PM account (plan takeover), and then get a slightly costlier plan but keep my current number.

Is this possible and how would I go about it?

12 REPLIES 12

If they dont do it simply due to system limitation, im pretty sure they would fix it easily.  

However I doubt they will swap account plan like that, i think i saw some post about this before, they wont do it. 

Hope it isnt the case, so the OP can be happy customer at the end.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am I get what you suggested and why it seems like a reasonable request.  I don't think the system allows them to do a phone number swap like you are suggesting.  Okay you said a plan swap but I don't think it's that simple really.  What would be required would be the ability to do a port from one PM account to another, which isn't possible in the system.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Guys, I don't think you understand what I was suggesting.  Let me try to illustrate better.  OP currently has the fall promo 12 gig plan with phone number AAA-BBB-CCCC.  Suppose he signs up a new account with the in market 6 gig plan today and gets an assigned phone number DDD-EEE-FFFF.  He can ask a moderator to change the account with phone number AAA-BBB-CCCC to the in market 6 gig plan taken from the new account.  In exchange, the new account with phone number DDD-EEE-FFFF will get the fall promo 12 gig plan taken from the original account.  This plan swap (not phone number swap) should be something that Public Mobile can do if they so choose.  This will allow the GF to have an account with the fall promo without taking OPs current number.  OP is free to port out, stay, or whatever he decides. 

I am suggesting OP to ask is because it isn't an unreasonable request.  From my short experience with Public Mobile, this is a reasonable company that operates with flexibility.  If they were not, I would not be making this suggestion.  In return, Public Mobile will keep a customer that wants the service and maybe two if OP changes his mind.  The alternative is OP just ports out and Public Mobile will lose a customer.  He may leave with a sour taste in his mouth which can affect future business.  Sometimes in business, you need to be flexible and give a little to get ahead.

@will13am Moderators has reported earlier on this issue. Numbers CANNOT be swapped between 2 Public Mobile accounts. When a port-in is requested the current number is deleted from the account; SOMETIMES this number can be recovered and assigned to another active PM account.

In summary then, moving a number to the promo plan is always possible but it's a gamble whether the old number can be recovered.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren

@will13am interesting idea and it's worth asking, but recent postings from moderators seem to indicate they can't help in this scenario.  It basically requires an intra-carrier port, which is not possible in their system.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I would PM a moderator and ask if they could do a favor for you by doing a plan switch.  What I mean is that you would sign up another plan with an in market 90 day price.  Once both plans are up and running, get them to switch plans on the two accounts.  This would free up your old plan for porting.  There would still be some costs involved with the maneuver as porting out would close a plan with no refund.  It would achieve the desired objective of not losing the discounted plan and not losing a phone number.  Who knows, if you ask nicely, they might be able to pull if off for you. 

@clavijo  it doesnt work.  He wants a data heavy plan, which is what that promo from public mobile plan is.  The current one isnt unfortunately.

clavijo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hi , get her the $40 plan same like the promo just the data is only 6 for 3 months

iceman2g
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the quick response, I was hoping this wasn't the case. I need a more data heavy plan and she needs a reliable network.

srlawren

@NDesai well at least we're consistent....  😉

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Sorry, it is not possible to keep the account and your number. If you port in another number to your existing public mobile account, you will loose your number. And if you port out your number to another public mobile account, you will loose your account. 

More info in this thread: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Re-Switching-phone-numbers-for-two-pub...

srlawren

@iceman2g unfortunately, this isn't possible.

If you port your number out, you will keep your number, but the existing PM account will be closed and you will lose the promo plan that was on it.

If you port your girlfriend's number in, it will replace your phone number and close her Wind account, which is good, except that then you lose your phone number in the process.

It's a catch 22.  You can't port your number out without losing the promo plan, and you can't keep your phone number without porting it out.

Need Help? Let's chat.