cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

RCS Support and New Features

Hello Public Mobile,

I'm wondering if there are any plans to implement RCS for texting on Android? 

Also, are there any new features (eg. wifi calling, etc.) coming to the service in the imminent future?

Appreciate the update Smiley Happy

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Oracle

Re: RCS Support and New Features

My guess is RCS could migrate here once a full implementation is done at the Telus and Koodo brands.  WiFi calling may be a much harder nut to crack.  Looking at the rollout in the other brands, it seems like the feature needs certain software capability at the system level, not quite as simple as installing an app.  The rollout is not univeral even at Telus, only certain models of phones are supported. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

If you are looking for the newest technology you need to sign up with first tier (Telus) or possibly the second tier (Koodo). And pay the according price tag.

Public Mobile is the low cost, no-frills third tier carrier in the Telus group. If new features are implemented it's going to be way after the mother company and the older sibling. Plus, IMHO, there are catches and glitches that should be sorted out before that.

Highlighted
Oracle

@alldylallday wrote:

Hello Public Mobile,

I'm wondering if there are any plans to implement RCS for texting on Android? 

Also, are there any new features (eg. wifi calling, etc.) coming to the service in the imminent future?

Appreciate the update Smiley Happy

You won't see wifi calling here for awhile.  As a third tier we won't see newer features for awhile

* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *
Highlighted
Oracle

My guess is RCS could migrate here once a full implementation is done at the Telus and Koodo brands.  WiFi calling may be a much harder nut to crack.  Looking at the rollout in the other brands, it seems like the feature needs certain software capability at the system level, not quite as simple as installing an app.  The rollout is not univeral even at Telus, only certain models of phones are supported. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

RCS is here now I believe.  I turned on RCS inside Android Messages, and i now see the response delivered when the message has been sent.

i did not see this, prior to enabling the RCS option.

Highlighted
Oracle

@stonechucker  this RCS has peaked my interest, where do you find the setting  in android.  using essential ph1 and messages as my sms i clicked on teh 3 dots and even advanced but didnt see anything regarding rcs.

Highlighted

@mimmo Maybe I was mistaken about it being labelled RCS.

ive looked in side the 3 dot menu, settings, advanced, trurn on Get SMS delivery reports.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@stonechucker wrote:

@mimmo Maybe I was mistaken about it being labelled RCS.

ive looked in side the 3 dot menu, settings, advanced, trurn on Get SMS delivery reports.

@stonechucker oh, no that's been around for ages (though rarely used).  That's not RCS. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

From what I know RCS is only available using the Messages app from Google. From there it needs to be supported by the carrier to even use the feature.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@alldylallday I'm pretty sure support will come to 3rd party sms apps as well.  I know Textra said a while back they would be adding it, but since then I have gone back to Google's Messages app, so I've lost track of their progress.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.