cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCS Support and New Features

alldylallday
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello Public Mobile,

I'm wondering if there are any plans to implement RCS for texting on Android? 

Also, are there any new features (eg. wifi calling, etc.) coming to the service in the imminent future?

Appreciate the update 🙂

16 REPLIES 16

2kbray

Lol... The specific post I was replying to was from about a month ago, I didn't realize it would look like I was replying to the entire thread. 

Sounds promising, getting a Pixel 4a for the kids tomorrow so I'll try it out. 

Thanks 🙂

@2kbray  A month ? This post is from 2018 last reply was in 2019. Last I checked it's almost the end of 2020 😂.

RCS works, I cannot confirm every type of phone out there has the ability to use RCS. I believe on my P30 I got it last year I dont remember. It really is not a need for me. It's basically like I message on an Apple. You don't need cell network for RCS it works on wifi or data and you get chat bubbles like messenger and see  .... ..... ... When people are typing or see when the message has been read. Nothing important or useful for me at least and it needs wifi or data to run. 

If you have an android. Simply open message app and click the 3 dots on right side top, middle or bottom and select settings. If you see "enable chat features" then your phone has RCS. Just enable it. But your friends/ contacts need to have it on as well.

2kbray

It's been a month since this post. Can you confirm that RCS is indeed working?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@maheshboloor wrote:

Looks like RCS is workin on public mobile. I have not tried to set it up though. Couple of my friends in the US were succefully able to set it up.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/10/28/android-rcs-messages-trick-canada/

Yeah this workaround works just fine on PM, did it on Saturday.  However, here are my thoughts on it.  Sadly, pretty useless for me:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/RCS-is-finally-here/m-p/444619/highli...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

maheshboloor
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Looks like RCS is workin on public mobile. I have not tried to set it up though. Couple of my friends in the US were succefully able to set it up.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/10/28/android-rcs-messages-trick-canada/

srlawren

@alldylallday wrote:

That would be great if they brought RCS support to third party texting apps because I never really got into Messages. I find Textra a more enjoyable experience all around and what's not to like about all the customization options 🙂 I haven't noticed that they've added support yet because they're one of the few apps these days that actually has release notes for app updates (which is amazing).

@alldylallday they were supposed to have it by last year https://www.androidheadlines.com/2016/11/textra-sms-support-rcs-advanced-messaging-2017.html?utm_sou... but I have no idea if it has actually been released or not.  You'd have to ask the Textra folks.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

alldylallday

That would be great if they brought RCS support to third party texting apps because I never really got into Messages. I find Textra a more enjoyable experience all around and what's not to like about all the customization options 🙂 I haven't noticed that they've added support yet because they're one of the few apps these days that actually has release notes for app updates (which is amazing).

srlawren

@alldylallday I'm pretty sure support will come to 3rd party sms apps as well.  I know Textra said a while back they would be adding it, but since then I have gone back to Google's Messages app, so I've lost track of their progress.

alldylallday

From what I know RCS is only available using the Messages app from Google. From there it needs to be supported by the carrier to even use the feature.

srlawren

@stonechucker wrote:

@mimmo Maybe I was mistaken about it being labelled RCS.

ive looked in side the 3 dot menu, settings, advanced, trurn on Get SMS delivery reports.

@stonechucker oh, no that's been around for ages (though rarely used).  That's not RCS. 

@mimmo Maybe I was mistaken about it being labelled RCS.

ive looked in side the 3 dot menu, settings, advanced, trurn on Get SMS delivery reports.

mimmo

@stonechucker  this RCS has peaked my interest, where do you find the setting  in android.  using essential ph1 and messages as my sms i clicked on teh 3 dots and even advanced but didnt see anything regarding rcs.

RCS is here now I believe.  I turned on RCS inside Android Messages, and i now see the response delivered when the message has been sent.

i did not see this, prior to enabling the RCS option.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

My guess is RCS could migrate here once a full implementation is done at the Telus and Koodo brands.  WiFi calling may be a much harder nut to crack.  Looking at the rollout in the other brands, it seems like the feature needs certain software capability at the system level, not quite as simple as installing an app.  The rollout is not univeral even at Telus, only certain models of phones are supported. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@alldylallday wrote:

Hello Public Mobile,

I'm wondering if there are any plans to implement RCS for texting on Android? 

Also, are there any new features (eg. wifi calling, etc.) coming to the service in the imminent future?

Appreciate the update 🙂

You won't see wifi calling here for awhile.  As a third tier we won't see newer features for awhile

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

If you are looking for the newest technology you need to sign up with first tier (Telus) or possibly the second tier (Koodo). And pay the according price tag.

Public Mobile is the low cost, no-frills third tier carrier in the Telus group. If new features are implemented it's going to be way after the mother company and the older sibling. Plus, IMHO, there are catches and glitches that should be sorted out before that.

Need Help? Let's chat.