cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have never gone over my 1 gig data. Why all of a sudden am I going over every month?

Anonymous37
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
I have never ever gone over my data. Why is it.going so fast all of a sudden?? Ever since they switched my 1 gig feels like 250. I am not very impressed.
5 REPLIES 5

Griff
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@benwarez 

Very true, I find a lot of people don't set the "Data usage cycle" to match their bill cycle and end up with a big discrepancy because of it.

benwarez
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Most of phone users rely on their Data usage monitoring on the phone, the thing is that they forget to reset phone data usage stats next month

Griff
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Anonymous37 

Do you use Facebook or Instagram a lot on your phone?

Facebook recently started auto-loading videos, so when you scroll through they're playing automatically, and it results in a lot of data usage. I had been using way more data then usual when they first started it.

If that is the case you can disable the feature by following these instructions I found on a facebook community post;

For Phones and tablet apps:
You can adjust your auto-play settings to On, Wi-Fi only or Off. If auto-play is On, the data used depends on the amount of time you spend watching a video. If you scroll past an auto-play video in News Feed, your phone will use less data than if you stop to watch it for a longer period of time. If auto-play is set to Wi-Fi only, no data will be used.

To adjust your auto-play settings:

Android

Open the Facebook app
Tap your phone's menu button
Tap Settings
Scroll down and tap Video Auto-play
Choose an option

iPhone and iPad

Go to your phone or tablet's settings
Scroll down and tap Facebook
Tap Settings
Below Video tap Auto-play
Choose an option

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@Anonymous37 

You can also try downloading an "app" called my data manager, it's a great app I recommend for tracking your data usage!

Cheers!

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

The likely culprit is your new SIM-based phone, with data enabled.

I can assure you that no carrier steals data from its customers.

I suggest that you review ALL settings, and disable data if not needed.
Need Help? Let's chat.