cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From a 4 digit number (Text ?), "Happy Holidays"

dougc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Anything to do with,  "Free Gifts for All During our More is Merrier Campaign"   ?

Yesterday (12- 05)  2 text messages from  ****  within a minute of each other at approx. 3:05 3:06pm MST.

As caller id,   it had coloured mini gift icon and "Happy Holidays". 

As I only receive texts from PM I figured oookay and cliked on it to read message, thinking the actual message would possibly be telling me monthly payment received  . . . .

Instead a pop-up window appeared and declared  "Downloading".  It was all over within a couple seconds.    >  * * my adjectives * *  < 

The second number did the same thing  (yeah i should ah known better). Even saw another pop-up declaring "Connection Ended",  instead of "Download... " !? 

Spent some time looking for any downloaded files, or other media. But could not see anything.

I did not reply to the sender but finally deleted the 2 entries from call log.

Within a half hour it texted again with similiar activity,  but no readable text !        Deleted number again,  and since then have not heard from the unknown sender/entity.

Thanks for your time and any info !

p.s.  4 digit  i readacted 'cause i believe i read somewheres on PMComm' that for privacy concerns (if legit text/call) not a good idea sharing universally.   

p.p.s. Just this month changed plan that included text for lower $ than I had previously (Thank you, Sis' for the heads-up) !    I have not asked anyone to test the connection yet so still only PM knows of this initialized access.

5 REPLIES 5

hss

Had the same message for the holidays free data.Your phone was just trying to download the MMS again and again. Nothing to worry about. Don't forget to add free 1Gig and calling addon to your plan.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@dougc  wrote:

Later on, since PM usually uses a 3-digit text number vs 4, I was thinking that it had something to do with;

@dougc  FYI:  PM uses both 3 and 4 digit numbers when sending texts messages to customers.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@dougc wrote:

Wheee,  Thanks for the info !

I just have a basic fliphone,  so enabling data' is not really a plus. Although I may have a free gig to use !?   😉

Later on,  since PM usually uses a  3-digit text number  vs 4,   I was thinking that it had something to do with;

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/winnipeg-woman-targeted-by-number-porting-scam-while-travelling-abroad-1...

". . . .“I don’t know where they got the information in the first place,” said Waedt. “So that makes me wonder about what other information they might have .."

Makes sense to be cautious about unsolicited links:) 

Yes you always need data enabled to send and receive MMS even if you don't have any data in your plan, you will still be able to send and receive MMS.  But your free 1GB data will not be used for any MMS, so feel free to only enable data whenever you need to use it.

dougc

Wheee,  Thanks for the info !

I just have a basic fliphone,  so enabling data' is not really a plus. Although I may have a free gig to use !?   😉

Later on,  since PM usually uses a  3-digit text number  vs 4,   I was thinking that it had something to do with;

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/winnipeg-woman-targeted-by-number-porting-scam-while-travelling-abroad-1...

". . . .“I don’t know where they got the information in the first place,” said Waedt. “So that makes me wonder about what other information they might have .."

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@dougc   I got the same text from PM yesterday...which is about the current free giveaway and contest to win an Amazon card.

You have to enable data on your phone as this is mms in order for the the rest of the message in the text to display.

Need Help? Let's chat.