cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dialing to Satellite Phone

jeredlepp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, question here.

I have bought 400 international and long distance minutes, but am unable to dial out to a satellite phone.

I am trying to dial out to a 011 number in Canada, but it tells me to go on Self-Serve and correct this.

I'm not sure what other add-on would be required to remediate this, please advise.

Best regards,

Jered

20 REPLIES 20

Wondering how many are using satellite phone, perhaps for work and travel purpose.

MEU_21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

How to call Inmarsat from Canada:

011 - Canada exit code to dial first when calling international 
870 - country code must be dialed next 
011 + 870 + Local Number
 - Overall dialing code format

http://www.groundcontrol.com/BGAN-Inmarsat-International-Calling.htm#tool

"All calls made from the BGAN phone are considered "International" calls. If you've never made one before, it can be a bit confusing. This tutorial will help you make your first call, as well as how to call a BGAN phone from anywhere.

Every BGAN terminal is assigned a 9 digit international telephone number along with a 3 digit Country Code. The Country code for all BGAN phones is 870. BGAN phone numbers can be called from any phone on the planet. If you do not know your BGAN phone number, please contact your BGAN service provider or Ground Control."

I suspect that since "870" is considered a country code (even though it is also used in Arkansas), and it is not listed in PM's interantional list, you are not able to call.

An Excellent Tool For ALL BGAN Calling 
This handy website helps find the exact number sequence you need in order to place a call to or from a BGAN phone from anywhere in the world. Please use "INMARSAT" as the country you are calling to or from.

https://www.countrycallingcodes.com/results.php?FromCode=Canada&ToCode=Inmarsat

On this web page, you may 

Example 3... If you are calling a BGAN Inmarsat phone:
1. Under "Where are you calling from", select the country you are calling from.
2. Under where are you calling to, select "Inmarsat". (It isn't a country, but Inmarsat is listed).
3. Click on Submit.
4. On the screen that appears, you should have the prefix numbers before the 870 Inmarsat international number and then the 9 digit BGAN number.

Example 4... If you are calling from a BGAN Inmarsat phone:
1. Under "Where are you calling from", select "Inmarsat".
2. Under "Where are you calling to", select the country you are calling.
3. Click on Submit.
4. On the screen that appears, choose the pull down window labeled “City Info…” and choose SNAC (Single Network Access Code). That number and the 9 digit BGAN number should connect you.

@kav2001c wrote:

@jeredlepp870 is not only a Sat number for Inmarsat, it ALSO is a USA area code

But I am guessing it is not supported

Public actually made a post about certain USA area codes being excluded from calling previously

That is for a different reason. Info here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Which-U-S-area-codes-are-not-supported-...

@jeredlepp870 is not only a Sat number for Inmarsat, it ALSO is a USA area code

But I am guessing it is not supported

Public actually made a post about certain USA area codes being excluded from calling previously

@jeredlepp wrote:

The sat phone is within Canada, I've tried numerous permutations of the number and end up with the same message, to log onto my self-serve and add it to my account.

It is an 870 number, perhaps it is not listed within the long distance services of public mobile.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@LEGO wrote:

@jeredlepp wrote:

I have unlimited provincial talk, and I bought 400 long distance international minutes.

How can you get "Sorry, talk is not included in your current plan..." if you said before that you have an Unlimited Provincial Talk plan? Woman Frustrated

@LEGO it's a generic message when the combination of your plan minutes and any LD minutes available to you are not enough to put the call through--IE if you try to make a call not covered by your plan without any LD minutes available, or if you try to call somewhere not covered by the LD minutes.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

I guess you did, but just to be sure, have you tried just 1 + 870 + number?

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Sorry, you will need to send a private message to a Moderator_Team, maybe they would have an answer to your problem!
Here is the link: click here
In your message, please provide your name, Public Mobile phone number, and PIN.
Good luck!

Contact Support hours of operation:
Monday - Friday 9AM (EDT) - 9PM (EDT) Saturday - Sunday 9AM (EDT) - 7:30PM (EDT)

jeredlepp

I couldn't tell you.

Unlimited talk works with any other number, the issue is specifically with dialing a sat phone.

I don't know why it specifically does not work with that sat phone.

LEGO

@jeredlepp wrote:

I have unlimited provincial talk, and I bought 400 long distance international minutes.

How can you get "Sorry, talk is not included in your current plan..." if you said before that you have an Unlimited Provincial Talk plan? Woman Frustrated

jeredlepp

No dice.

"Sorry, talk is not included in your current plan..."

LEGO

Try to dial “0” + “870” then number of your satellite phone.

OR

Try to dial “0” + “1” + “870” then number of your satellite phone.

jeredlepp

The sat phone is within Canada, I've tried numerous permutations of the number and end up with the same message, to log onto my self-serve and add it to my account.

It is an 870 number, perhaps it is not listed within the long distance services of public mobile.

LEGO

What is a Trunk Code (Prefix)?

Trunk Codes are single or double-digit codes used to place calls within a certain country. They are left out when dialing in from abroad.

Based on information from other site, to call number within Canada you would need to dial “011” + “1” then number of your satellite phone.

3.jpg

LEGO

Satellite phone numbers are different from land and cellular systems. Each satellite provider has a unique prefix followed by an eight or nine digit number.

Based on information from this site, to call satellite number in Canada you would need to dial “11”, not “011”.

LEGO

2.jpgEDIT: To which country does this satellite phone assigned? Is it on this list?

International minutes are only for specific countries and this is not very clear on Publics websites without some digging

matbasm

@jeredlepp, Unfortunately the international long distance minutes only include a specific list of countried.  Satellite phone numbers do have a country designation of sorts, which is probably not included in Public Mobile's  'international' long distance plan.

jeredlepp

ute1978

Do you have talk feature included in your plan?

matbasm

@jeredlepp, perhaps satellite number are not part of the international long distance plan(which only includes specific countries).  They have their own numbering scheme...  Perhaps someone else here knows for sure.  Otherwise, you might need to contact the moderators (via private message) to find out.

Click here to send the moderators team a private message.
Information regarding the moderators team can be found by following this link.

Need Help? Let's chat.