cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Voicemail Remotely and Change Number of Rings

polly
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just before COVID-19 hit and everything was locked down, we purchased a cell phone for my 96 year old granny so she would have a phone in the convalescent home she was temporarily in.  Unfortunately, due to lockdowns on nursing homes/etc. we can't access her phone directly but we'd like to extend the duration of rings to the max.  Can I do this remotely?  Also, how do I determine the voicemail number remotely?  Is it the same as the phone number?  All of the instructions I've seen thus far require using the phone directly.  Thanks in advance for your help.  

6 REPLIES 6

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@polly wrote:

we'd like to extend the duration of rings to the max.

When you do eventually have access to the phone, you can change the number of rings with the following process:

1. Dial *#61# to see the current voicemail deposit number and delay time. I believe the default is 25 seconds.
  2. If the voicemail deposit number is 204-588-4001 and you want to set the maximum ring time of 30 seconds, dial *61*2045884001**30#
  3. Verify your setting by again dialing *#61#

You can configure any amount of time from 5 seconds to 30 seconds in 5 second increments.

To access the voicemail without dialing and ringing the phone, check this list of local voicemail access numbers across Canada:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-Numbers/...

polly
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was able to access the voicemail but couldn't figure out how to extend the ringer.  So, it looks like we'll have to wait until after COVID to fix it for her.  

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@polly  You can call area code + 580-4001 and follow the prompts. Note you will need to know the voicemail password. The VM password can be reset via the selfserve. account.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@polly sorry, but you must have physical access to the phone in order to extend the ring time through the voicemail settings . 

To access the voicemail from another phone dial the phone number. When voicemail picks up.  Press * to interrupt it, type in the password followed by the #key.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

To access voicemail messages from your mobile device, hold down the ‘1’ key on your phone keypad. You can also access your voicemail from a landline or any other phone line, by dialing your 10-digit phone number, selecting ‘Send’ or ‘Call’ and then pressing ‘*’ to skip the system greeting.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@polly you call your number, wait for the voicemail recording (before the beep) and immediately press * (asterisk) and your password and then you're into your voicemail system.

Need Help? Let's chat.