Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,379 REPLIES 5,379

HI @Wolfcore 

they were asking for specific details
 How about post some data regarding your testing criteria.

Put it this way, you willing to pay, I can arrange.  I will write you a test case for your review and approval and will conduct similar field test for you.  Drop me a private message with your requirement and I will send you a quote

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You can't post a phone type and a city? Those are two of the most generic things possible.

HI @Public_Cust_17 

i am doing it for a client and cannot post specific details.  

JDBlue1966
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Have a question for you. Given the feedback on your proposed changes, are you at least listening to your loyal customers? Or, don’t we count? Please respond. If you are listening, please explain to us why it’s good for us. 

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

Rubbing the PM crystal ball, I can see those two 4G plans ($24/$29) currently available for new subscribers only magically being made available to existing customers as well just days before the forced migration to the new points system! 😉

It has been very common to have PM roll the new customer only plans into plans that are available to everyone a few weeks after they are originally introduced.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

JDBlue1966

Are you sure they cant remove them. I saw a post that said they could.

Wolfcore

Now it's your turn. Can you please provide examples of people discounting other peoples views, and show us comments where people are clearly intending to bait people instead of engaging in purposeful discussion?

I've read ever single post in this thread, I've yet to see a comment get "dismissed" and not responded to. Personally, If somebody has a valid argument as to why the removal of this rewards system is great, I'd love to hear it. I'd love to hear it, and then give my opinion on that. I'd never dismiss it. 

@Robbwell wrote:

PM can make changes for future activity. Like, they can change AutoPay and subscribers can respond to the new arrangement.

PM can't make changes to past terms like the $1 per year loyalty reward. It's too late. Those rewards are earned. We cannot go back and decline to participate.  They can change legacy loyalty for the future, like they can say if you are working your way to 5, the current year will be the last.

If they were able to get rid of the call centre for Pioneer Customers, they can change things.  Remember your "contract" with them is only 30 or 90 days.  When you continually renew to a new cycle you are agreeing to the newest ToS

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@wetcoaster   Yes, I just checked my phone's compatibility a little while ago and it is fully compatible for VoLTE and wifi calling (but not here).  They also have a prepaid US/Canada plan for $29/20GB with $5 discount for the next 24 months though not what I'm interested in.

Wolfcore

One might discern that you're trying to quell the masses, by choosing to ignore comments and act naive, while continually posting messages in support of PM, this decision, and those who are trying to dismiss concerns. 

The Oracle in question made it very clear with their messages. Just go back and read them. Multiple messages in defense of PM (Telus). Even seemingly mentioning how they are a shareholder:

1. you do have to recognize that businesses operate on the profit motive in exchange for goods and services.  If you ran a business, could you operate it sustainably with a charity mindset?

2. Well, if I put on my customer hat, I tend to agree with what you are saying.  When I put on my shareholder hat, I can see the merits of what they are doing.  

3.The other side of the coin is $13 accounts paying $6 in perpetuity.  These days $6 doesn't buy a single burger.  I hate to pit one group of customers against another group.  I think it was the unsustainability of giving $7 rewards to $13 and $15 customers caused this change.

4. So, as a shareholder could you please explain the merits you are referring to since “record profits” is apparently not enough?

Respectfully, no.  Inflation invariably makes new number appear larger than last year's comps.  

---

This is just one Oracle as well, i'm not even gonna bother going through all the rest.

We see multiple messages essentially saying how Telus needs to make this change due to needing money. Even giving a personal opinion saying that this old system was unsustainable for them. This is a form of guilt. They're telling people "you gotta think of poor them, they're losing money". 

To me, this is incredibly disrespectful, considering the consumer is far worse off than any Telus executive, or Telus themselves. They're making record profit. We're supposed to feel sorry about their profits, when some of us can barely afford rent or food to eat? This is a budget-brand service.

As for your comment about people attempting to rile up for masses for "bravos", I assume I'm one of the people who you're referring to, considering I've been pointing this stuff out. I find that quite laughable. I've been helping out as many people as I can, breaking down pricing, clearly explaining my points, arguing potential fixes, etc. I'm here because I'm disappointed in PM for lying to their customers, and breaking a promise. I don't care about some dumb community reward. Whoever is in charge of internals, can remove all of my bravos if they want, I couldn't care less. This is about letting PM know that they've made a terrible decision, and their customer base speaking out about it.

Was it record Profit or record Income.

This message says no plans in February of 2022.  A lot of things have changed since then.  Business plans do change

It's about a week old, @PC3 

They claim to be doing this to it's most loyal customers base within a couple of months.

Let them know you do not approve.   Keep the discussion going.   Be diligent.

@Public_Cust_17 

I think we are on thin ice here and might get censored, so... I will log out with the following: Ironically Freedom also doesn't need resort to shenanigans like white listing phones. If your phone has the proper bands* it has access to all features, including VoLTE. 

* Most of the phones on the lines I help manage, are cost effective phones don't have B71 (except for the couple of Pixel 6a), but B66 / B4, B13 and 7 seem to be sufficient for solid service in our area.

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

Well, I believe Telus’ profits is germane to the subject matter. I believe most of those who are “riled up” is due to the fact that they are now faced with paying more for the exact same service (especially after being promised before that this would effectively not happen by staying on the legacy rewards program). It doesn’t help soften this impact when it happens to come at a time of record profits by Telus. I do agree that one should consider different aspects while still maintaining the right to respectfully discount those views one doesn’t necessarliy agree with. I can’t speak for others but, for myself, I don’t care about bravos whatsoever. My posting history bears this out. I’ve been active lately because this forced migration is impacting me in a way I don’t agree with nor appreciate. In a sense, the accumulation of posts in this thread is no different than signing a petition. 

Absolutely @RetiredGuy1 

This move is all about TELUS's profits - it's NOT about enhancing things for PM's most loyal customers, no matter how much PM tries to spin this.  

I suspect the more 'civil' this thread remains, the more likely the Oracles (who, remember, are said to be reporting user's comments to PM employees) can provide them with useful and meaningful feedback.

When users choose to 'discount' other's views, some are doing it by offering comments which are clearly intended to bait other users, and not engage in a purposeful discussion.

I completely agree describing how disappointed and pushed aside we all feel is very healthy.  It's when the discussion falls into disrepute that PM likely stops actively listening.   I don't think any of us want that, since otherwise what's the purpose of keeping this thread unlocked for comments?

PC3
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is this new? as far as I know PM will switch all customers to the new "reward system" which sucks. 

Public_Cust_17

@wetcoaster   to add to your post, from Freedom's website regarding their bands which can be cross-referenced with https://www.gsmarena.com and looking up your phone then under the network information...

3G, LTE (4G), and 5G are different generations of wireless cellular technology.  Each advancement brings significant improvements in speed, latency, and capacity.

Our new 5G network works seamlessly with our existing LTE technology to enhance your mobile experience and enable innovative new products, services, and technologies. 5G on Freedom Mobile is deployed on our n71 (600 MHz) band to ensure we’re bringing 5G to as many Canadians as possible, as quickly as possible.

Our LTE network primarily supports Band 66, Band 13, Band 4, Band 71 and Band 7 in select locations. Band 66 provides access to our fastest LTE speeds, while Band 13 is our Extended Range LTE that may be able to reach farther and penetrate walls for better coverage in buildings, basements, and elevators.

Our 3G network provides connectivity to customers with legacy devices.

You'll connect to our 5G, LTE, Extended Range LTE, or 3G networks depending on your location and your device compatibility.

To confirm if your device is compatible with 5G, check our Device Compatibility Tool.

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Well, I believe Telus’ profits is germane to the subject matter. I believe most of those who are “riled up” is due to the fact that they are now faced with paying more for the exact same service (especially after being promised before that this would effectively not happen by staying on the legacy rewards program). It doesn’t help soften this impact when it happens to come at a time of record profits by Telus. I do agree that one should consider different aspects while still maintaining the right to respectfully discount those views one doesn’t necessarliy agree with. I can’t speak for others but, for myself, I don’t care about bravos whatsoever. My posting history bears this out. I’ve been active lately because this forced migration is impacting me in a way I don’t agree with nor appreciate. In a sense, the accumulation of posts in this thread is no different than signing a petition. 

@hTideGnow wrote:

hi @wetcoaster 

I tested and compared both and I have to say, that is not a reliable network 

... This might be true for you and where you live/work/play. I have put in the disclaimer that it isn't for everybody.

With your repeated blanket statements without qualifier, you are essentially saying that my friends, and all the other happy Freedom customers across the country, are idiots, liars etc because they found a provider that has proven reliable for them, has solid coverage where they need it, and allows them to save money on a plan that, when put side-by-side, is way better value than what they had with PM (a plan that saw a 30% increase two years ago with zero additional benefit, and now doubles in effective price, again with zero additional benefit). This is money that directly helps keeping their roof over their head in these difficult times.

I acknowledge that for the people on $29+ plans, and specially those with more recent referrals, Public Mobile can still be the best option - good for them. But this is hitting $15/$13 the worst, and I'd guess a good percentage of people on those plans can only dream of being able to afford a plan where an effective $7 price hike/month is just peanuts. Dismissing their struggles and trying to scare them with blanket statements about a provider that might be a great alternate choice for them, is not cool, bro.

ComicCuriosity
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recommend people check out Freedom Mobile’s yearly plans. They offer a $119 yearly plan that includes 15GB on 4G and a $149 30GB plan on 4G. Either option is fantastic if you don’t need too much data.

The $119 yearly plan works out to basically $10 a month, which is easily better than the $25/monthly plan on Public Mobile which is still on slow 3G.

public_999
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

And when did you test them?  LOL, I am a subscriber of both Public and the competitor and have both phones sitting on the table by me as I type this....there definately is a clear winner as far as reliability is concerned and it's not Public.  That's my results and the results of my entire family as they travel throughout the GTA.  Your personal results might be different but making blanket statements about any company are disengenuous.  By the way, if this competitor is so unreliable why are all of the others trying desperately to match their offerings? 

That’s accurate @ily 

Not really a loyalty program that recognizes longevity so much as one that increases with years of service.

ily
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I think what it means is that you always get 10 points at the end of every 12 months. Then the counter resets. Basically, in any given year you get 10 points regardless of how long you've been with them.

IanP
10 points every 12 months

So does this mean

12 months 10 pts 

24 (12 + 12 )months 20 pts

36 (12+12+12) months 30 pts

So on and so on?

With no upper limit, if and this is a big if, with tongue in cheek it would be easy to address loyalty with accumulated credit and no end to upper limit 😉

Public_Cust_17

@hTideGnow  when did you test/compare them, in what area and using criteria did you use for your testing? What are you using as a basis for saying they are not reliable?  Please elaborate? How about post some data regarding your testing criteria.. just saying something isn't reliable and continually siding with PM only makes you sound like a Public Mobile paid asset in this community.  Seriously, if I change for a month to another plan of any other provider and don't like it I'm sure PM will be happy for me to rejoin and take my money with the same crappy new rewards system.. which to be honest I don't even know if I now trust them to not pull out from under me in a year or two anyway. 

bcsuazon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@ATHENS wrote:

Be careful before jumping to another provider.  Their incentives may be short lived and may also have inferior service. For example Fizz mobile offers a $14.95 monthly plan but only for 6 months. and in addition their network may NOT be suitable for older phones.

List of phones certified VoLTE with Fizz 

Apple

• iPhone 8 and 8 plus
  • iPhone X
  • iPhone XS and XS Max
  • iPhone XR
  • iPhone 11, 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max
  • iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation)
  • iPhone 12 mini, 12, 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max
  • iPhone 13 mini, 13, 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max
  • iPhone 14, 14 Plus, 14 Pro and 14 Pro Max
  • iPhone 15, 15 Plus, 15 Pro et 15 Pro Max

Yeah I'm finding it slim pickings for what I need.  I recently switched to the $34 50GB plan (mainly on the assumption that I'd have my credits) but there doesn't seem to be many options that have roaming add-ons and have at least 20 GB of data.  I've tried Freedom in the past but had some coverage issues which leaves me with Fido or Virgin (it's too bad Lucky doesn't have roaming or I would have probably switched by now).  The last time I signed with Virgin they increased the monthly within 6 months and both seem to like to use the "after monthly credits for 24 months" tactic which I hate.  I just want a price that I can stick with and not have to worry about doing the "dance" to negotiate a better deal after 24 months...sigh...

Public_Cust_17

@RetiredGuy1  I'd be careful rubbing that PM ball.. you might catch something contagious that you can't get rid of like a new rewards STD.  lol

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Can somebody please demonstrate (show the comments) how the Oracles are guilting people into feeling sorry for Telus?

One might arbitrarily discern that, however I do not feel that is the scope/intent of their feedback on the thread.

I believe they are bringing balance to a discussion and every healthy discussion ought to have balanced viewpoints.

I wonder if the users that are asserting this may be looking to rile up the masses and gain bravos.

How about we not delve this thread into a social media type of atmosphere.

@IanP wrote:

TELUS' CEO is Darren Entwistle, appointed in Jan 2000, has a tenure of 24.08 years. total yearly compensation is CA$17.49M, comprised of 9.2% salary and 90.8% bonuses, including company stock and options. directly owns 0.054% of the company's shares, worth CA$19.04M.

The average Telus executive compensation is $236,603 a year. The median estimated compensation for executives at Telus including base salary and bonus is $237,477, or $114 per hour. At Telus, the most compensated executive makes $700,000, annually, 

Guess they need to get inflation pay rise.

Comparison is the thief of joy.  I am not the least bit offended by Darren's stipend and that mine was never even close.  I don't think I could have done his job and so I don't earn his pay.  All things considered, I am at peace.  

hi @wetcoaster 

I tested and compared both and I have to say, that is not a reliable network 

Need Help? Let's chat.