Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,124 REPLIES 5,124

Matty1234
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Welcome to the somehow superior yet financially more expensive points system. It makes sense if you put your shareholder hat on. 

Other providers are available and at a better price point after the retirement of the old system. 

ben20181
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

That sucks, I have been with Public mobile 5 years. It is $5 off each month. Now it is becoming less than $1 per month.

@ben20181 wrote:

Is the loyalty reward gone when moving to new system?

It will be replaced with 10 pionts once per year.

ben20181

Is the loyalty reward gone when moving to new system?

JDBlue1966
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I can assure you I am not. If the changes are made, we are gone. Only stayed with PM for 2 reasons. 1, we don’t use the phone much, 2, the price and rewards. 
if that goes, then so be it. We will move to something else. 

mark38

PM has to save money on the reward program to pay salaries. The CEO of Telus made 15 million last year so our rewards are going to someone who needs it at least.

MajorTalent
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Wolfcore and @ShawnC13 I would look at it as paying a premium for the service, on top of biting that bullet for the principle. Not much different than this Almost-Mandatory-No-Matter-What tipping culture we've developed in North America, but in this case it would be more than warranted for all the extras you'll be regaining with another provider that PM has long since dropped and forgotten.

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The whole premise behind a fixed loyalty reward redeemed annually despite the number of years one has been a loyal customer is skewed in PMs favour (which is why they moved to that model). If one has paid PM a monthly amount for 60 consecutive months vs only 12 months then that should be recognized by PM accordingly. The new program does not value your patronage on a continual basis which is, in essence, the definition of loyalty. As has been said here many times by many posters - what they’re doing may be legal but it is without question unethical.

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

There's also this, where they said that these loyalty rewards would continue to accumulate as long as our accounts remained active, and then provide a chart showing the exact breakdown of what we'd earn over time.

staticcory_0-1709944676592.png

Here's a link to the actual page containing it. It's been archived just in case:

https://web.archive.org/web/20240310024729/https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-...

There's also this, talking about this latest move, where they say that it's to ensure they're providing the best possible value to their subscribers. Which, as we know, is objectively a lie, as 99.9% of subscribers will be getting less value out of this move.

staticcory_0-1710553756513.png

Wolfcore

staticcory_0-1710552607355.png

vince90cay

When the new reward program was introduced in January 2022, PM indicated in an email that we would have the choice to stay with the legacy rewards program as long as we subscribed to Public Mobile.

Has anyone kept this email and if so, could you please share a screenshot or attachment, as I will need it for my complaint to the CCTS? Thank you.

RetiredGuy1

@hTideGnow  Thanks and yeah, you’re probably right but I like to never say never! I should have mentioned this proposal could keeps things fair between long-time legacy folks and those who joined PM since the points program was introduced in 2002 by marking May 2024 as the starting point for ALL PM subscribers. 

HI @RetiredGuy1 

i like your idea, I tihnk it is great suggestion

unfortunately, I don't think PM is looking for our input.  I honestly don't see them reversing.  Maybe some minor tweaks to the current offer.  We would be lucky if they remove the 150 days expiry on the bonus add-on.  I honestly don't see them paying us extra money or points to try to make us happy

RetiredGuy1

One relatively simple revision PM could make that could act as a compromise regarding the change of loyalty rewards between the legacy and points programs is to allow the 10 point ($10) anniversary reward to accumulate over the next 5 years. So, beginning in May and using a current 5+ years subscriber as an example:

- if legacy program had continued it would have been $300 in total ($5 each month x 60 months)

- with points program it will be $50 in total ($10 each year x 5 years)

- proposed compromise would be $150 in total ($10, $20, $30, $40, $50)

Just to be clear, the proposed compromise would still be structured like the points program in that the rewards are applied once per year on the anniversary date. Its a compromise because PM (Telus) can appease shareholders by still reducing costs compared to allowing the legacy rewards program to continue while, in this case, a 5+ year subscriber would be out $150 over 5 years instead of $250

Grinch

☹️I never use all my 250mb.  So is no use to me. 

Grinch

It’s called Lucky. 

swlucas

Hi. Any hints how to get that Bell plan for $15/month? That would be a great deal!

It's only 5GB for $15 or less customers.

It's 20GB for upwards of $15

It's 240GB for upwards of $30 (i believe?)

Grinch

@jakeoh1 wrote:

– Allright, we can't keep having two rewards programs, it's just too much maintenance, it makes no sense and just cost us more.

– Maybe we could just shut down the old program?

– But didn't we promise them they would get these rewards as long as they're customers?

– Most of them won't notice or bother. Just throw a random bonus somewhere and they'll fold.

– Like what?

– I don't know, like 20 GB of data that they can only use for the next 6 months. They won't even use it, so who cares, they'll think it's fair, they're idiots.

– Right on! Let's give them, I don't know, like 240 GB OF DATA FREE!!!

– Hahaha

Your facts are a little off. 
1. 150 days = 5 months. 
2. Not every one gets or keeps. 
3. Only 5gb 

Enjoy 5 GB bonus data for 150 days, on us.1Bonus data will be added to your account by March 30, 2024, as long as your account is active. We’ll also send you a text message confirmation when the bonus data has been successfully added to your account. 

Bonus Data Details

What is the special bonus being provided to customers?

As a token of our appreciation, we're rewarding you with bonus data. You’ll find the specifics of this bonus in the email that will be sent to you by March 8th.

When will the special bonus be added to my account?

Expect your bonus data by March 31, 2024. We will send you an SMS notification once the bonus data is added to your account.

Will I lose my special bonus data if I switch plans?

The bonus data will remain active unless your account becomes inactive, you switch to a plan of lower value or to an incompatible plan.

What constitutes an incompatible plan?

At Public Mobile, you have the option between fixed data plans and unlimited data plans. Switching from one type of data plan to the other will cause your special bonus data to be incompatible and removed from your account.

How is my bonus data used in relation to my plan’s data?

Your plan’s data is used first. Once that’s depleted, your bonus data kicks in.

How can I track the usage of my Bonus Data?

Monitor your bonus data usage easily through My Account under the Add-on usage section.

What should I do if my account was inactive and I haven’t received my bonus data?

For your bonus data to be added, your account must be in an active state. Make sure your account is active by March 22, 2024 to receive your bonus data. If you have any issues reactivating your account or need further assistance, please reach out to a Customer Support Agent.

How long is my bonus data valid?

Your bonus data will be valid for 150 days from the day it’s applied to your account.

I’m already on Public Points - why didn’t I receive bonus data?

The bonus data offer is for customers who joined Public Mobile before January 2022 and were part of the old rewards program. As we transition away from that program, we’re providing a loyalty bonus to those directly affected by the change.

Having trouble logging in? Visit our Help Article for assistance.

1 The data bonus will expire if your account becomes inactive or if you switch to an incompatible or lower-value plan.

LOL @jakeoh1 

I feel they knew it would cause outrage.  I'm quite pleased many are speaking up - it's important to keep them accountable for their choices.

I still, whole-heartedly, believe their hope is to trim the number of customers on the $13 & $15 plans.

What would be nice is if Public Mobile would elaborate how Public Points is being enhanced  ... with more opportunities to earn and spend.

When is that coming?

The people want to know.

Shan_Bhai

When I initially joined PM in 2017, their $25 plan with 1 GB data, along with inclusive calls and texts across Canada, was considered a good deal. However, over the years, their competitors caught up. Nowadays, PM falls short as a wireless provider with inadequate customer support and outdated network technology. My recent experience with their US-Canada plan was particularly disappointing. Their antiquated practice of whitelisting phones for VOLTE services caused significant inconvenience while I was roaming in the USA. Despite contacting customer support, I was informed that my phone wasn't compatible for VOLTE, when in reality, their technology couldn't support VOLTE-capable devices.

The introduction of the $24 plan exclusively for new customers was frustrating for me as a loyal customer. Despite my loyalty, I was denied access to this offer, even though PM's VOLTE whitelisting negatively impacted my travel in the USA. I reluctantly accepted this discrimination until they announced the migration from old points to new rewards.

From these events, it's clear that PM prioritizes acquiring new customers over retaining loyal ones. However, there's a silver lining for loyal customers who switch to other providers. I tried Freedom and was impressed by their plans and network connectivity. Unlike PM, Freedom enabled VOLTE for my phone hassle-free, allowing me to roam in the USA. Both Freedom and PM utilize AT&T and T-Mobile for roaming in the USA, but PM blocked VOLTE, whereas Freedom didn't.

To fellow mistreated loyal customers, there are numerous better options available than PM. I encourage everyone to explore other networks, and if unsatisfied, consider returning to PM as a new customer to receive similar rewards. PM's recent actions serve as an invitation for us to explore alternatives and break free from this declining service.

jakeoh1

– Allright, we can't keep having two rewards programs, it's just too much maintenance, it makes no sense and just cost us more.

– Maybe we could just shut down the old program?

– But didn't we promise them they would get these rewards as long as they're customers?

– Most of them won't notice or bother. Just throw a random bonus somewhere and they'll fold.

– Like what?

– I don't know, like 20 GB of data that they can only use for the next 6 months. They won't even use it, so who cares, they'll think it's fair, they're idiots.

– Right on! Let's give them, I don't know, like 240 GB OF DATA FREE!!!

– Hahaha

swlucas

You promised ongoing loyalty, autopay and referral credits when I signed up a few years ago and you are now reneging on that promise presumably because the loyalty credit is becoming valuable as it reaches its 5 year point. I note this is now your second attempt to evade this commitment, now using the camouflage of your rewards program. Clearly this promise was a deceit aimed to lure us in as you obviously no longer care for loyalty (if you ever did). The loyalty credit is not the same thing as it was an intrinsic part of the offer. While I note the referral credits appear to remain, your reward program appears to offer a mere $10/yr in value for loyalty vs the $60/year I have from 5 years of loyalty and I see no reference to the autopay credit.

You are certainly within your rights to change the terms for new customers but you should be grandfathering existing customers. I shall be filing a complaint with the CRTC/CCTS to request they take action to ensure you make the necessary changes to continue with the existing referral and loyalty credits.

This type of "bait and switch" is so unethical. Ugh. If only we had real competition.

Only if they're on Legacy Rewards, @Dunkman .

Or is Public Mobile feeling charitable and giving data bonus's to ALL subscribers?

Are you on Public Points @mikasik2 , or Legacy Rewards?

@Geekedout yikes seems like the greedy sticky fingered company is not going to back down on sticking there hands in our pockets to take all that they can . Well next time someone ask me about PM  I’ll just show them the reviews here 

Handy1_1-1710542271349.png

Is that worth saving $1 . No live support .no wifi calling constant dropped calls , and a website that you can’t update your credit card . Not worth the hassle to get in bed with these rascals 

@mikasik2 wrote:

Can anyone confirm if I switch to the 3G $15 plan if I can use up my holiday data bonuses?

@mikasik2 

You will be able to use any old holiday data bonuses. 

However, you will lose your bonus data add on (either 5GB, 30 GB or 240 GB - expiring 150 days) as per FAQ on the announcement.   

T-Rex

The automatic discount is the only reason I subscribed to PM - otherwise their plans are exactly the same as everyone else! No reason to stick with PM now. 

Geekedout

IMG_0427.png

IMG_0428.png

IMG_0429.png

Grinch

@HALIMACS wrote:

@ShawnC13 

I believe people are just reacting when they threaten to immediately leave.

After a period of sober second thought, they are likely curious to know what will happen in the next six weeks with respect to this matter and any promised enhancements to public points.

Indeed, leaving at the start of a cycle is probably ill-advised, however, maybe customers are getting huge incentives from other providers to go there, in which case, why not.

I’m still of the belief that Public Mobile is almost hoping to have those on the $13 and $15 plans leave. 

I’d say one way to stick it to them is to stick around on these plans until at least they’ve maximized whatever freebies they’ve been given or still have on their accounts.

Correct. Some that say they are leaving, will leave immediately, some will leave when things align for them, some will leave once they get into the NEW rewards,  some will leave with loss of referrals, and some will leave when what they pay PM is same or less elsewhere. And we (legacy customers) will all pay MORE. I am personally committed to say….the loyalty program will not keep me with any Telus product. In the next months, one of my three PM numbers will go to VoIP. And for sure in 2 years time, my TV and internet will no longer be with Telus. <= because IVR prevents me having a connection, crappy customer service, lied to numerous times, and cannot talk to a CSR in Canada. 

PM so far has not mentioned how they plan to improve retention. So far it’s all on us..paying more…or really stepping up referrals. My average loss of referrals is 48% and kind if makes it not worthwhile, doesn’t it?

Wolfcore

Next year (but probably earlier), I think it'll be the announcement that a bunch of those new "boxing day" plans, will be getting a $5 increase, which will cause some more outrage. That, or the official removal of 3g plans altogether.

Need Help? Let's chat.