cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special announcement coming soon

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Back in the summer of ‘17, we announced that we were expanding our presence by selling our SIM cards at both national and independent retailers.  We wanted to give Canadians more control and choice: purchase and activate online or visit your local neighbourhood store.

Since then, we’ve launched at many great retail partners like, Walmart, WOW! Mobile, K-Mobile, London Drugs, The Mobile Shop, Koodo Authorized Dealers, and various independent wireless retailers. In 2019, we’re continuing this journey with the same goal in mind: empower more Canadians to do wireless differently. To that end, we have yet another special announcement coming soon about an exciting addition to our current line-up. Stay tuned for more details!

- Public Mobile Community Team

104 REPLIES 104

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok I'll play...e-sim.

This would be awesome.

@popping wrote:

But PM can add credit equal to one month fee during purchase.

Agree.  It will be cleaner process to sell regular SIM card and let the new subscriber to activate the SIM card. 

I don't want to deal with thread related to the pre-activated SIM issues.

People can get pre-activvated sim cards, but its not through any official source.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@NDesai wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@Luddite how would preactivated sim work? With so many various plan options, and when would the 30/90 days start? Etc. 

My guess, a mobile friendly self serve? 

Well, in my imagination, they are sold with only 1 or 2 plans; SIM cost is waived. The 30 days begins on date of first connection to PM network.

Hard to believe if that is even possible. Once the sim is active, date of activation is recorded and it is considered as an active sim. I don't think they can alter the system in such a way that they can pause the active status and record the activation date when you put the sim in your phone. 

But PM can add credit equal to one month fee during purchase.

Agree.  It will be cleaner process to sell regular SIM card and let the new subscriber to activate the SIM card. 

I don't want to deal with thread related to the pre-activated SIM issues.

@Luddite wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@Luddite how would preactivated sim work? With so many various plan options, and when would the 30/90 days start? Etc. 

Well, in my imagination, they are sold with only 1 or 2 plans; SIM cost is waived. The 30 days begins on date of first connection to PM network.

Hard to believe if that is even possible. Once the sim is active, date of activation is recorded and it is considered as an active sim. I don't think they can alter the system in such a way that they can pause the active status and record the activation date when you put the sim in your phone. 

corrio
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Coming from a small community with none of the PM retailers available, I ordered online and waiting was hard haha

@mimmo wrote:

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@denis2 wrote:

If you think $50.00 is a let down, I would not want you as a customer, 

@denis2Read what I, and @Murco wrote again.

The $50 bonus is not a let down

Calling out there will be a "special announcement" and using it on this $50 plan would be a let down, because they have already done this $50 deal many times now, and never claimed it was "special"

The fact that they claimed there is a "special announcement" should mean its actually something special that we have not had multiple times a year.

denis2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you think $50.00 is a let down, I would not want you as a customer, 

Murco

If the $25/$25 promo is the Special announcement then that is truly a let down!!

I think eveyone was expecting more.

@smp99 wrote:

@Alan_K

Is the special announcement the $25/$25 promo, or should we be waiting for something else?

@smp99If this 25/25 was the "special announcement", there would be a lot of disappointment around here. Considering they have done this 25/25 numerous times and never made a "special announcement" in advance it wouldn't make much sense.

If the special announcement is another place to get sim cards, I will be extremely discouraged. I doubt topping anyone's wish list of things they wish public mobile did was add another method/store/place to get a sim card when its already accessible in so many different ways and places.

smp99

@Alan_K

Is the special announcement the $25/$25 promo, or should we be waiting for something else?

smp99

oh oh oh - the one thing I have been asking for

$15 plan unlimited text, 50min Cda calling

tehowennathe

Most likely it's a new retailer for SIM cards. Though wouldn't mind better data plans. Probably nothing to do with plans but one can hope.

smp99

When you log in to your account now, there is a mesage stating

Between Feb14-Mar18 the $25/$25 referal bonus is back

Could be that - 

dna2016

Queue the suspense music.  Hmmmmmm, I'm going to guess they are going to open Public Mobile Kiosks.  I know this is very unlikely, but in the past there wasn't this tease, but because this suspense was added I'm thinking something really big.  Adding Bestbuy would also be large, but since everyone else has already said that I figure I go the less likely route.

luke11992

VOLTE?

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Could also sell SIM through Telus.

denis2

Well thats your guess Smiley Tongue

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

People, people, people ... Based on how they were stoking their ... ego about national and independent retailers, it has to be retailer related. Not about pricing, deals, moderator response time, 90 day plan changes or anything like that. This announcement will not even be about more free ice cream. It is going to be retailer related. Due to the hype that nobody wants, they think it going to be a “big” or “major” announcement. And No @denis2 it is not going to be Canadian Tire related. My original guess was going to involve PC Mobile. PC Mobile was originally backed in terms of network by Telus and Bell. But Telus discontinued the postpaid service backing of PC Mobile back in October 2018 and moved customers to Koodo. With the move with Koodo and Bell now somewhat taking over or at least having more control over PC Mobile I doubt it will be PC Mobile network related. It might be that PC Mobile offers Public Mobile SIMs like they offer other networks plans in store. Come on @Alan_K just spit it out and tell us.

I would guess, one of the 3 recently posted

@Dave_M wrote:

We are passionately working on:

1. Faster Moderator response times
  2. An improved ticket submission process
  3. Additional goodness from SIMon The Bot 

Otherwise

- They are bringing promotions back to 90 day plans?

- They are coming out with a $15 plan?

- They are now going to have a sms-add on?

- Self serve will have a network reconfigure button so we don't have to click "lost/stolen" (which takes away your referrers $1 credit, and doesn't always put it back)?

- Public mobile calling center efforts will be transfered to public labs, and public labs will be re-opened?

- Public mobile calling center efforts will be put to the community / mod team?

- Simon chatbot is gaining actual powers?

- Silver star oracle program?

Vending machine they tried already, maybe they are putting it back? Or getting more? Doesn't sound like a very "special" announcment to me.

large.jpg

SD08

Merely announcing yet another retail partner would not be "special."  They never billed their partnerships with Walmart, Wow, K-Mobile, London Drugs, or Mobile Shop as special, so it needs to be something different this time, if it's to deserve this pre-announcement hype, which to my memory hasn't happened before with other announcements.  Vending machines would definitely be different, though they do require some overhead.  Public Mobile stores would need even more overhead and they eliminated those long ago so they could have a less for less model, so it wouldn't make much sense to do a 180 on that.  Maybe SIMs at Canada Post offices/outlets?  Who knows...

@Luddite wrote:

@slash407 wrote:

it has to be vending machines, thats the way the worlds moving

Pre- activated SIMs in vending machines. 

This would be great.  Have them at locations that suit visitors the country, like airports, train terminals. 

mimmo

Kandola12
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I hate this anticipation, wish they wouldn't keep us waiting ;(

CalgaryBen

@Luddite wrote:

I love the pre-activated SIM idea, as well as the vending machines (especially if these are placed at Walmart entrances).

But if we're going this route, we may as well have pre-activated SIMs delivered to the customer by drones!

denis2

Again Canadian Tire could do this

hzmy

Maybe 3G speed plan upgrade to 5Mbps?

Or a ticket system for support?

@slash407 wrote:

it has to be vending machines, thats the way the worlds moving

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Spoochy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just joined up and am waiting for my number to transfer. I like exciting announcements 🙂  Make me feel like I made the right choice by moving to Public Mobile! 

smp99

I was guessing vending machines as well

I think the teaser was to get in front of anybody stumbling upon the announcement page by accident and pre-announcing before they were actually ready 

Need Help? Let's chat.