cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
z10user4
Mayor / Maire

Re: SIM Swap Fraud

@crustylady : When we used to be able to change the SIM...yes. But regardless of security now....we can't. So if SIM swaps are still happening, that would mean there's another back door into the system that hackers are exploiting. But I haven't seen reports of people coming back here declaring that the mods said they were sim-swapped. And maybe they won't because that would be admitting that there is a huge security hole in the system.

crustylady
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@z10user4 wrote:

@crustylady : When we used to be able to change the SIM...yes. But regardless of security now....we can't. So if SIM swaps are still happening, that would mean there's another back door into the system that hackers are exploiting. But I haven't seen reports of people coming back here declaring that the mods said they were sim-swapped. And maybe they won't because that would be admitting that there is a huge security hole in the system.

Thanks @z10user4 

That's what I'm thinkin - but there's nothing stopping customers from coming back and reporting this finding online.   Sure, you'd never see Public Mobile staff say so publicly as that would be admitting there's still some fault somewhere...

Poor Frank1 might have been hacked, or maybe just let the account expire or an auto-pay failure.   The way he went on about how crappy this and that is, you'd think if he HAD been SIM-hacked, he's gladly share that with the Community.

Perhaps it was much ado about nothing.   

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@crustylady : Yes we often see people come in here all hair on fire ranting all over the place when it turns out that it was something they did or didn't know they were supposed to do or just not understanding that that's how the place works. They come and go.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@crustylady wrote:

Isn't SIM swapping/hacking usually the result of general carelessness with online presence in public forums or using weak or obvious security question answers?

Usually. Too many people spew their personal information all over social media and all over the place online, registering it at every website they visit, submitting it to every popup which asks. And use the same weak lazy easily-guessed passwords everywhere. Most people don't bother to anonymize their web activities at all, trusting that incognito mode or a VPN will do everything for them, but it turns out that evil criminal hackers datamine from all the same little cookies and crumbs that the "legit" advertisers and trackers append to every website you visit. Did you ever login to Self-Serve on your computer? If so, then your account number and SIM ID number and phone number were all cached away somewhere in your browser junk. And if you didn't use your own computer then you're already compromised, who knows what sort of malware or loggers or sloppiness run on that machine?

But just as often, people are savvy and conscious enough to avoid such stuff. But if you've had a number long enough, if you know enough people, then sooner or later somebody else you trusted with that information will share it with somebody else you don't trust, whether they know it or not (because, again, most people don't bother to protect themselves online). This isn't your fault, this isn't the provider's fault, but if the provider provides some better security protocols then maybe some before-it's-too-late warning or damage control can be implemented.

Criminals are known to compromise employees, procure (purchase) the information they want from the source. I don't know if Telus or Public Mobile has been subjected to these sorts of security breaches, how much damaged might have been caused (or might still be caused) as a result. A violated customer could rightfully demand the provider corrects or prevents this sort of problem, but is otherwise powerless to defend against it.

cbenny13
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yikes! Thanks for this.

jonfirlotte
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks for the info I didn't know this type of scam even existed!

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

They should just email a verification code to the person who wants to change sim.

softech
Mayor / Maire

@Shutdown  i guess it is hard to balance convinence with security.   

Honestly since they removed the SIM change option from the interface,  I think we see less posts about users unable to use the phone and found out Simjacked in the end.

BlueB
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm curious if this was a phase/fad, if there was 'breach' of some sort, or some other factor that triggered an increase in SIM swap fraud.  Similarly, I'm curious if this feature will be reintroduced back in the (near) future.

I don't see SIM swap requests being a popular feature that people use, but is always nice to have self-serve options.  Obviously, I'd rather be safe than sorry, and the Moderator team has been very responsive with all my questions, so this is probably as good as it gets!  🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.