cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile Retail Launch: SIM cards now at Walmart!

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

We have some exciting news for you!  

We’re pleased to announce that our SIM cards will now be available to purchase at over 350 Walmart locations across Canada.

Our retail launch aligns with the feedback and ideas that were shared through our Public Lab and Community. We would like to thank the following community members for their contribution.

Community Username:

Idea title and URL:

@Luddite

SIMS in Retail Stores

@pckku

SIM card pickup depots

New SIM card delivery options

@infielder6

Vending machine for SIM cards

@prasprime

SIM distribution/pick up center in big cities

With this announcement, SIM pricing has also changed -  all SIM’s bought online or in Walmart stores will now cost $10 plus applicable provincial taxes.

Soon, we will also have a dedicated category in the Community where you can ask and discuss all things retail. If you visit a Walmart store, share your experience with us.

FAQ:

Will I still be able to purchase a SIM online?

Yes, and you can do so by clicking here

In which location or aisle in Walmart can I find Public Mobile SIM cards?

Visit the Electronics department, typically located in the back of the store.

Will you also be selling top-up vouchers at Walmart stores?

We are working to launch this as soon as possible.

Will there be other retail stores selling SIM cards in the near future?

Stay tuned - you’ll be the first to know if there are.

Is there a Walmart store locator on the Public Mobile website?

No, but you can find the nearest location by visiting Walmart’s website.

Will I be able to get account support at Walmart stores?

No, all account support is online via our awesome Community.

203 REPLIES 203

Its a bit better. You dont have to 'buy out" of your contract if you owe a balance on your phone, ect. Even if you pay off your tab before leaving, you're still spending more money just to get out of that contract. You can argue that most people are still using locked phones and dont know the benefits really of an unlocked phone. I havent been on a contract for years, but isn't there also an early cancellation fee, on top of paying off the tab?

And you can technically leave PM whenever. you're not really locked in for x amount of days, you just wont get your money back so you can take a loss there as well

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

You can leave any company in LESS than 30/90 days if there is no contract / no outstanding tab (thanks to CRTC). If your post paid you may not even have to pay the remaining days of that month.

The argument that Public Mobile is better because you can leave every 30/90 days is not correct. People who are locked in signed on contract (normally with a device). And they can still leave they just need to pay the outstanding balance.

Bella
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Pricing is too high ☹️ Disappointed with this decision

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
I'm ok with this I guess 😐

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I'm ok with this I guess 😐

Nsk143
Thx for updating

mimmo

@kav2001c  don't forget zoomer 

current promos: 

• 1gb , 400min canadawide $36
  •  2gb, 500min canadawide $40.5
  • =2.5gb , 600min canadawide$45

2 year term + device

@torontokris your numbers are way off

Fido's absolute cheapest barebones BYOD plan is $55 for 1GB of data

$65 to get an el cheapo garbage phone for $0 

Plus Fido has activation fees on many plans ($15) & of course requires a credit check even for BYOD

https://www.fido.ca/nac/#/choose-plan

Public is catering to a way different crowd with the 3G plans (really Chatr or Freedom) as prices show

@torontokris wrote:

I cant see NEW users signing up to the "MORE ($$) for LESS" PM plans.

Take this scenario..

Customer : hi wal-mart (cell department) do you have public mobile sims?

Wal-mart : Yes $10, however the plan is $50 for 3G service, no phone, no phone support.. however I can get you onto Fido or xyz company with canada wide LTE for around the same price and potentially a free phone as well.

Customer : Forget PM, Ill go with xyz

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Argh.  Public Mobile had a good thing going with the ultra disruptive business model.  Now this really sullies the experiment, which I assume is done.  Package a SIM with a voucher perhaps, but not sell it separately.  It won't be long when the folks at Walmart will be able to active that SIM as well. 

Ashley

I think it's a little too late for selling the sim at the retail stores. 

Quiet honestly wirh with the new lame 3G plans and pricing plus the new price increase for LTE plans, no one in their right mind would want to join PM and I don't think any of the current members would feel comfortable recommending anyone this service. 

I guess we we can all safely say good bye to referrals. 

jshmeek
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You're right (though it's kind of the point with a prepaid provider). Nothing will ever come to touch that plan though, especially at this point. Unless another service provider (maybe Freedom) has a great back to school rate, maybe then Public will need to provide a good rate again (hopefully not targetted like the last one).

All of these rate hikes and SIM card hikes scream "dead in the water" to me.

@jshmeek, what the cost per month breaks down to with rewards and referrals and autopay for myself I would make a jump if it would make financial sense for my future mobile needs.  Right now it is going to be very hard for anything to beat the fall promo I am on and the rewards offered here.  I was just stating that you aren't tied into a 2 year contract and a subsidized phone keeping you tied to a provider long term.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

jshmeek

That's just the thing, though. You have to wait 30 or 90 days without losing your balance. If you wait, chances are the good promo deal will be history.

I see that as a negative, not a positive.

The best thing about PM though is if you aren't happy  or find a better deal, you can leave after 30/90 days depending on your plan with no penalty or buy out.  I am not sure of the way things are going with the pricing but will be watching closely.  PM has saved me a lot of money and believe it will in the future as well.  The retail thing I am ok with as I can get a SIM card quickly if I need to it is the online cost rising as well.  But Oh well I still support PM with my plan and in the community here as I do believe this is still a great model for service and want to see it spread to other services as well.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

jshmeek

How is this a good thing? The $5 fee for the online order sim was only to cover shipping. No one will need to wait for a SIM anymore because no one will be coming to Public. Simple as that.

jt17g
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I replied to the public lab post a month ago ,glad to see that it comes true!

nishufan

That's good news for customers. Saving lots of time waiting for the SIM delivery.Smiley Tongue

pwrdesign

They forgot to mention they jacked the price up again online.  Making it not worthwhile to order online anymore.  from free to $5 to $10...

jacked up plans with lowered data speeds, overpriced lower data plans... ???

cricketfan

I think PM shot itself in the foot by starting witha BANG, Fall promo and then FM porting promo, then immediately after they raised the rates on plans and Sim (they should keep the online option for $5). Hence giving a sour taste and a sense of chaos to the PM community and community outside looking in.

They can't have the same pricing structure as the Big three/small three with the no frill approach.

mimmo
There are a couple benefits from this:

1) we can sell our spare sims for $9 instead of 5$
2) No need to have spare sims on hand for emergencies

jshmeek

Good ol' "Less for Less" (NOT!).

Just more reason not to recommend people to come over. You jack up ALL of your rates, now you want people to pay twice the amount no matter where they get a sim?!

Take my idea from a few days ago, because its the only way you'll be getting new subscribers (waive the SIM fee after activation, it's only $5 or $10 one time, after all you jacked up most rates by 50%).

Raven_Jet
I agree, with you about this stonechucker.

@pwrdesign wrote:

Correct.  Pricing is way too high.  $10 for a sim card?  Poor pricing options? Slow 3G plans??

PM is going down the toilet in service and was always down there for support.

This exactly the type of post that drives me mad, and while I will not be a frequent community member any longer.

Support was not bad, other than during promos, and that's been explained.  DIsparaging comments about the direction Public Mobile is going.

These posts have got to stop!

pwrdesign

Correct.  Pricing is way too high.  $10 for a sim card?  Poor pricing options? Slow 3G plans??

PM is going down the toilet in service and was always down there for support.

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire
That's a really great news. Will save lots of time when some one want to get going with new or updating sim card.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

Raven_Jet
You just wait and see! They aren't doing this for nothing. It's going to be grand, I know it!

Get that trending on Twitter aha

torontokris

# Less (everything) for More $$.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@torontokris wrote:

Agreed. This met a need of having the sim cards available however the only people who will need SIMS are those who lost/damaged theirs.

Take this scenario..

Wal-mart : Yes $10, however the plan is $50 for 3G service, no phone, no phone support.. however I can get you onto Fido or xyz company with canada wide LTE for around the same price and potentially a free phone as well.

You forgot to close with...

✌🏾 #LessIsMore

🤣😂

torontokris

Agreed. This met a need of having the sim cards available however the only people who will need SIMS are those who lost/damaged theirs.

Take this scenario..

I read a MobileSyrup arcitle on the weekend.  It said WOW Wireless is going to start carrying SIMs on July 21st for PublicMobile.  Is this the same as Walmart?

I don't shop at Walmart (I refuse greatly to do so),.  Appartently WOW is a joint operation between Telus and Rogers for the primary and secondary brands for both, plus Chatr for Rogers.

Edit:   Here's the link to the MobileSyrup Article

Need Help? Let's chat.