cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan updates + new $10 limited talk and text plan!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Update as of June 19, 2018: This post has been updated to provide additional clarity that leaving a voicemail message uses minutes. 

Update as of June 11, 2018: This post has been updated to rectify that call forwarding counts toward your plan’s minutes.

Update as of May 4, 2018: This is no longer a limited time offer. 

Hey Community,

We recently completed a pricing review and wanted to let you know that you will be seeing some changes to our 3G pricing, effective today.

Our goal is to provide our customers with simple plans that provide great value. You can check out all the new pricing on our website, but at a high level, the big thing to note is that our Canada-wide talk, text, and 3G-speed data plans are now more competitive. Great news for anyone traveling within Canada this summer!

Additionally, we are introducing a new limited time $10 30-day limited talk and text plan.This plan is available for new and existing customers and includes:

• 50 minutes of Canada-wide Talk
  • 50 International Outgoing Texts and Unlimited Incoming Texts and Picture Messages
  • Voicemail and Call Display

Note, checking your voicemail will use your minutes. Since this is the first time we have offered a ‘limited’ plan since we re-launched the brand, we’ve included FAQs on how this will work  in the spoiler below.

-Public Mobile Community Team

Spoiler

FAQs

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

What does and does not use my minutes?

Uses Minutes

Doesn’t Use Minutes

• Making a call
  • Answering a call
  • Retrieving or leaving voicemail messages
  • Using call forwarding
  • Calling *611 (the IVR)
  • Making or receiving calls from 911
  • Using calling apps when connected to Wifi

What is the maximum length of one text message?

A text message contains 160 characters; longer texts are broken down into 160 character segments. Each segment is counted as one text message.

Will you notify me when I’m almost out of text messages or minutes?

Yes, you will get an SMS message from Public Mobile when you have 10 outgoing texts left or 10 minutes left in your plan.

If I don’t have any minutes left, but I have a voicemail message, how do I check my voicemail?

There are two ways you can check your voicemail.

1. From a landline or another mobile phone, dial your 10-digit phone number and press the * key to interrupt the system greeting. From here, you may need enter your voicemail password.
  2. You can purchase a long distance Add-On such as the 200 minutes Add-On that allows you to call to Canada and the US for $8. Note, the minutes in the Add-On will rollover to your next billing cycle.

Do I have to purchase a Long Distance Add-On to get more than 50 minutes?

Yes, you need a Long Distance Add-On to get more minutes added to your plan. If you often use more than 50 minutes per 30 days, we recommend one of our plans with unlimited talk.

I’ve run out of outgoing text messages included in my plan. What are my options to keep sending text messages?

We do not offer an Add-On for text messaging. We suggest you try one of our plans with unlimited text messages included. You can select any of our other Ready-Made Plans or build your own plan using our calculator.

If you like your limited talk and text plan, you can wait until your next billing cycle or you can renew your plan early.

Why is a text Add-On not being offered?

This is the first time we have introduced a plan with limited Talk and Text, so, to-date, there hasn’t been a need for a Text Add-On. Depending on demand and market changes, we may introduce a Text Add-On in the future; however this is not available at this time.

If I purchase a Long Distance Add-On, will my calls use up my Add-On minutes or my in-plan minutes?

Making a Call to someone in Canada

Making a Call to someone outside of Canada

Answering a Call from Anywhere in the World

In Canada

Will use plan minutes, before Long Distance Add-On minutes.

Requires Long Distance Add-On. The Long Distance countries we support can be found here.   

Will use plan minutes, before Long Distance Add-On minutes

In U.S.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included. Aside from calls to Canada, you will only be able to make calls to people in the U.S. and its territories.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included. You will only be able to receive calls from people in Canada or the US and its territories.  

If you purchase a Long Distance Add-On and you’re calling in Canada, your call will use your in-plan minutes first.

If you purchase a Long Distance Add-On and you’re calling outside of Canada, your call will use your Long Distance Add-On minutes (as long as the location you’re calling is accessible through your Long Distance Add-On).

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans. 

302 REPLIES 302

retsina
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I like this plan! Perfect for my needs.

Ba

@katiatall wrote:

@Ba wrote:

I have never enabled iMessage nor iCloud (nothing to disable or log out of) and I still got these outgoing texts to 474663! This also happened shortly after this plan was activated. So, I'm not sure if iMessage or iCloud is the culprit!

I also got a few at the start of my plan - perhaps if you have an iPhone and  havent activated iMessage and iCloud the phone is searching to activate them.

Yeah, this must be it because it seems to have stopped since. I don't see them any more.

econ007

@ohitora wrote:

Just don’t use call forwarding. Also suggest to disable voice mail and just set up an auto response asking the caller to text you. 

It is so mind boggling...I am not saying one must use call forwarding or not (or how low the plan price is)...If a function is meant to be working and usable, why should one stop using it because it has a flaw??  So perhaps the next time when one purchase a new gagrage door opener, and if it has flaws, one should stop using the garage but use the front door instead...For me, I would call the company to fix it.  Am I the exception to think with such logic??

katiatall
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Ba wrote:

I have never enabled iMessage nor iCloud (nothing to disable or log out of) and I still got these outgoing texts to 474663! This also happened shortly after this plan was activated. So, I'm not sure if iMessage or iCloud is the culprit!

I also got a few at the start of my plan - perhaps if you have an iPhone and  havent activated iMessage and iCloud the phone is searching to activate them.

Yiatiohi

Don't short change the $10 plan - I can't beleive how awesome and perfect taylored it is. ----- It can be taylored to ones requirements with out having to use one of the more expensive plans that have to be renewed each month.  One can just add 200 long distance for only $8 and also data for as low as $10 and the best thing about it is the add ons DO NOT EXPIRE and do roll over until they are used up.

ohitora

I'm a newbie - was the original $10 plan even more awesome when first introduced? Just out of curiosity what was the original offering?

@ohitora, yes this is true just like with all providers they only need to give you 30 days notice of a price increase.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ohitora

Do I understand correctly that PM can increase rates on existing  plans with only requirement being a 30 day notice? I was just about to cancel and port my Bell number to PM.

@srlawren wrote:

@econ007 wrote:

so what you saying is that PM are free to double or triple charges its customer??  All it need is only to update its faq's...WOW, I learn something new today!  No wonder they say Canadians are soft head and easily gouged...consumer right doesn't mean anything to some...BRAVOS!!!

@econ007 yes, all the carriers are to some extent, and they sadly do so from time to time. 

Anyone on a post-paid contract (at another carrier--since PM is pre-paid, month-to-month only) has their base rate plan price guaranteed for the length of the contract, but the carriers can and often do increase the price of extras.  A prime example is Roam Like Home/Easy Roam/Roam Sweet Roam/etc., that have steadily risen since introduction a few years ago.

Anyone month-to-month on a post-paid service or month-to-month on a pre-paid service (e.g. all Public Mobile plans) have a maximum of 30 days of rate guarantee, as the carrier can increate plan rates at any time as long as they give you 30 days of notice.  This does happen as well.  You've probably seen news articles (at least if you frequent sites like mobilesyrup or iphoneincanada) of carriers doing this.  Fido bumped up a bunch of MTM plans $5 not too long ago, as did Virgin I believe.  Probably others too.

ohitora

Why choose any other plan then the $10 plan?  Just add on to it - for example $30 gets you 1 GB of data that rolls over. You can use this almost for ever for texting and not rely on being near WIFI . Refer to info below——-

SMS text messages use 7-bit characters and have a maximum length of 160 characters, making the maximum data size of each SMS 1120 bits, or 140 bytes. If an average mp3 song from iTunes is 4 MB, a text message is 0.0001335 MB. Almost nothing.

ohitora

In addition to make this plan even better one can purchase add ons such as 1GB of data that never expires and rolls over until it’s all used up . With this data add on one will not have to rely on being near WIFI to text. One GB of data would last almost for ever if one were to mostly use it for texting. Refer to the following which I cut and pasting.

SMS text messages use 7-bit characters and have a maximum length of 160 characters, making the maximum data size of each SMS 1120 bits, or 140 bytes. If an average mp3 song from iTunes is 4 MB, a text message is 0.0001335 MB. Almost nothing.

ohitora

Just don’t use call forwarding. Also suggest to disable voice mail and just set up an auto response asking the caller to text you. 

Ba

katiatall

Happy post!

@ohitora wrote:

• 50 MINUTES Canada-wide Talk
  • UNLIMITED Incoming Text
  • 50 TEXTS Outgoing International Text

I'm a 2 week newbie trying out this PM $10 plan. Have been texting regularly at least 10 to 20 texts every single day and just noticed that my account only shows 3 or so texts used.

Smiley HappyWOW ..WOW just  realized that I have been wasting my money on my BELL plan for features that I realy didn't need.   Since I and most of the persons I know have iPhones all but 3 or so of my texts so far went by iMessage. I have of course received quite a few Spam and other texts from android users but again with this awesome PM $10 plan all incoming texts are free. I also consider it a bonus that this economical plan also includes 50 Canada wide voice plans.

LOL Smiley Very HappyNow my only problem will be as to how to spend all the money I will be saving once I cancel my BELL Mobility plan. LOL

ohitora

• 50 MINUTES Canada-wide Talk
  • UNLIMITED Incoming Text
  • 50 TEXTS Outgoing International Text

I'm a 2 week newbie trying out this PM $10 plan. Have been texting regularly at least 10 to 20 texts every single day and just noticed that my account only shows 3 or so texts used.

Smiley HappyWOW ..WOW just  realized that I have been wasting my money on my BELL plan for features that I realy didn't need.   Since I and most of the persons I know have iPhones all but 3 or so of my texts so far went by iMessage. I have of course received quite a few Spam and other texts from android users but again with this awesome PM $10 plan all incoming texts are free. I also consider it a bonus that this economical plan also includes 50 Canada wide voice plans.

LOL Smiley Very HappyNow my only problem will be as to how to spend all the money I will be saving once I cancel my BELL Mobility plan. LOL

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@econ007 wrote:

Even it is proven (and admitted by the company) to be the system flaw that caused the double charge?? I don't think so.

@econ007 sorry I was speaking to rate plan cost increases, not to what your'e talking about.  I agree that they should not be able to change the parameters of the plan a week or so in.  My understanding is the original way it was documented was the way PM thought it would work, but system limitations forced them to change it.  If I were one of the affected customers that signed up based on the promises laid out originally, I would be upset as well, and would be reaching out to them to make the situation right.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

econ007

Even it is proven (and admitted by the company) to be the system flaw that caused the double charge?? I don't think so.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@econ007 wrote:

so what you saying is that PM are free to double or triple charges its customer??  All it need is only to update its faq's...WOW, I learn something new today!  No wonder they say Canadians are soft head and easily gouged...consumer right doesn't mean anything to some...BRAVOS!!!

@econ007 yes, all the carriers are to some extent, and they sadly do so from time to time. 

Anyone on a post-paid contract (at another carrier--since PM is pre-paid, month-to-month only) has their base rate plan price guaranteed for the length of the contract, but the carriers can and often do increase the price of extras.  A prime example is Roam Like Home/Easy Roam/Roam Sweet Roam/etc., that have steadily risen since introduction a few years ago.

Anyone month-to-month on a post-paid service or month-to-month on a pre-paid service (e.g. all Public Mobile plans) have a maximum of 30 days of rate guarantee, as the carrier can increate plan rates at any time as long as they give you 30 days of notice.  This does happen as well.  You've probably seen news articles (at least if you frequent sites like mobilesyrup or iphoneincanada) of carriers doing this.  Fido bumped up a bunch of MTM plans $5 not too long ago, as did Virgin I believe.  Probably others too.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

econ007

brent_liza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@pm-smayer97 it does with regards to how the calls are counted. I did state it would be up to public to see about how to fix the issue with regards to the faq's that they did post. 

econ007

I was going to say that too...Bravo!

The terms of servoce you quoted has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

brent_liza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Technically the terms of service cover them. It does state how the minutes are calculated. I know that they did make an error with the faq but it would be up to public mobile on how they can or will fix it.

From the Service terms

Voice calls Charges for voice calls are based on the airtime used when you make and receive calls on your mobile phone. Voice airtime is calculated, for both incoming and outgoing calls, from the time the call is initiated to the time it is disconnected, including the time used to route the call through the network and any ring time. The airtime for each voice call is rounded up to the nearest minute. Long distance charges are incurred when you make voice calls from one local calling area to another and also for all calls you receive when outside your local calling area. Long distance calls use local airtime minutes, which are charged at the rate specified for the voice service active on your account. If your device's radio signal is picked up by a cellular tower outside of your local calling area, the call may be treated as long distance.

econ007

So PM conveniently rescind from its original offer.  What about ppl reported the call forwarding using double the plan minutes?  Its system records a simultanous incoming call & out going call whenever there is call forward, and hence double counting the minutes.  Is it part of the plan feature too??  I suggest PM should really get down to the action and fix its system instead of keep changing its plan to work around the system!

@Brooke_C

Thanks for clarifying. If that is how it works, that is more in line with what is expected. Then the wording needs to change, because that is not how it reads. 

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@pm-smayer97,  if you leave a voicemail for a friend or family member it will use your minutes. Similarly, if you retrieve a voicemail it will use your minutes. If a friend calls you, leaves a voicemail and you choose to not retrieve this message, your minutes will not be used. 

Hope this clarifies things!

What? This recent update says that others leaving us a voicemail uses up minutes? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. This is an absolute first from ANY service (AFAIK). This makes this plan HORRIBLE as you cannot control your limited # of minutes. YIKES!

So, because of a technical problem, PM is pushing this onto its customers? Terrible decision!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

A recent review of call forwarding on the $10 Limited Talk and Text Plan was done by our team and we’ve found that call forwarding does use plan minutes.

We understand that this is contrary to what has been communicated before, and would like to apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. To address this discrepancy, we will be proactively reaching out to customers who have contacted us about minutes lost to call forwarding in order to address their concerns.

Thanks for your patience as we worked through this investigation.

-Public Mobile Community Team   

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@stonechucker wrote:

@slpless, where is this screenshot from?  It means nothing to me unless I know where it's been copied from.

In my post in this thread, my screen shot was from the original post of the advertised plan, in the spoiler, still there as captured by screen shot on the date of my post.

In the first post if this thread, you can see the table has been updated and there is a note "Update as of June 11, 2018: This post has been updated to rectify that call forwarding counts toward your plan’s minutes."

@slpless, where is this screenshot from?  It means nothing to me unless I know where it's been copied from.

In my post in this thread, my screen shot was from the original post of the advertised plan, in the spoiler, still there as captured by screen shot on the date of my post.

econ007

good idea.  Thanks for the advise.

Need Help? Let's chat.