Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New year, new Community look!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

We are excited to announce that, as of today, we’ve updated our Community! You’ll notice that all the discussions and posts you’ve had in the past will still be on the Community, but that the way you used to find certain things may be different. Once you become familiar with the changes, we hope that you will be able to find answers to your questions that much faster.

We would like to provide a big shout-out to @WearySky, @CaNuCk07, @TheOldVR, @NDesai, @Watoko, @stonechucker, @awesomeness, @Luddite, @srlawren, @imm1304, @youbme, and @homer for providing their suggestions on how we can improve the Community in our Public Lab. We know that there is still a lot of work to be done, but that this is a step in the right direction. Keep the suggestions coming!

Below are some of the changes you will notice with this update. Please note that these changes only affect the Community.  

Our Community is now mobile friendly

If you’ve ever tried to access the Community on your phone before, you will remember how difficult it was to get from one area to the next. Since all the icons were so small, it made it challenging to navigate to the different discussions or respond. Now, you’re experience on your phone will be more like your experience on your computer: easy and care-free.

We’ve increased our search functionalities

We’ve added some new search functionalities so that you can find answers to your questions quicker than ever before. Here are just some examples of how we’ve improved things:

• The Knowledge Base-The Knowledge Base articles contain Public Mobile approved answers to your questions, and cover a lot of useful information. Since they are so critical for helping Community members, we’ve decided to move them to the forefront. Now, you’ll see these Knowledge Base articles before scrolling to find the latest topics or new solutions. Additionally, we’ve added filters so you can search by Bravos, date, views and comments.
  • Public Lab- Now, our ideas in the Public Lab are sorted by their status so it’s easier to see whether an idea has already been suggested by someone else. We’ve also added functionality so that within each status category you can see which ideas have the most Bravos, and which ideas have been posted most recently. To do this, just click on ‘New Ideas’ or ‘Top Ideas’ on the top left hand side of the page and the ideas will automatically be filtered for you.

Sharing information got a lot easier

Last but not least, we’ve made some changes to how you can share information. To make it even easier, we’ve added ‘Share’ and ‘Quote’ features which can be used when you are responding to a thread on the Community.

• Sharing- When you find a Public Lab idea or a Knowledge Base article you want to share with your friends, just click the share button at the bottom of the postand you will have the option to share that thread via all sorts of different social channels. These channels include Facebook, Twitter and email, just to name a few.
  • Quoting- Really like what someone else said? So much so that you couldn’t have said it any better yourself? Well, now you will be able to quote what another Community member has said. We thought this might come in handy when someone posts a question that already has an answer somewhere else on the Community. Rather than re-writing the solution, you can quickly quote the solution that has already been provided. This feature can also be used to respond to specific text in a post. By quoting the question you are answering, you will help decrease confusion by providing context about what you are replying to.

-Public Mobile Community team

94 REPLIES 94

@SD08 wrote: 

Example from that lab post:

Please add to this list.

some items on my list:
 allow members to have signatures

Yes, it fixes all that. You just have to make sure to wait till Rich Text box is fully loaded. 

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@NDesai wrote:

Good news folks, Rich Text is now available on mobile site. You can now use Quote/Macros and tagging feature on Mobile site. 

Thanks PM team. 

Thanks for the update, @NDesai.

@mimmowill probably be happy to hear this, as he had these issues in his Lab post for community improvements here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Public-Lab/Suggestions-for-Community-forum-improvemen...

Does enabling rich text fix the issue that causes the formatting problem that results in a bunch of " " markers when we edit a post from a mobile device?

Example from that lab post:

Please add to this list.

some items on my list:
 allow members to have signatures

Good news folks, Rich Text is now available on mobile site. You can now use Quote/Macros and tagging feature on Mobile site. 

Thanks PM team. 

panesarg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Like others have said, there's too much white space.

Yang_P

Haha, me too. But amazing look tho. 

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@kav2001c wrote:

@stonechucker they also have made some changes on their code

It looks better on mine as well as fixed the 2 major graphical glitches

Still lots of whitespace but significantly less than I used to see

True. I notice this as well. It's better.

@stonechucker they also have made some changes on their code

It looks better on mine as well as fixed the 2 major graphical glitches

Still lots of whitespace but significantly less than I used to see

srlawren

That's great news, @stonechucker!  Cheers!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Hey all, I've got good news!

Previously I was complaining about how I see the community on my desktop at work - I thought it was an issue with a mobile vs desktop setup for the community.

Turns out, my Chrome browser settings were way out of whack, and today I've rest, and it appears much the same as I see on a mobile device now, when I decrease my zoom level.

I can work with this!!  

Thanks PM - Community is better for my vision issues in this format on all my devices.

imm1304

Welcome aboard @sucharicky!  

Feel free to comment and help.  See you around.  

sucharicky

I'm new to the community boards!

Awesome look, hoping i'll be able to help others.

acehao

Looks really nice. 

I only visit this community once every month, so it might take a while to get used to.

srlawren

@ah I see you also submitted that idea as a Public Lab idea, which is great and is the right thing to do with suggestions.  Except in this case there are probably a dozen or more of that same idea.  For phone application, please consolidate your support by clicking the bravo button on this existing Public Lab idea:  http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Public-Lab/phone-application/idi-p/12004 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ah
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Suggest to put in place an android app.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Man Surprised

No emojis!!!!???? Cat MadRobot MadRobot surprised

How will we communicate???!!! Man Surprised

srlawren

@kav2001c wrote:

@Brooke_C just wanted to point out another small bug; the emojis do not work in the Public Lab (but seem to work everywhere else, not sure why)

Cat Surprised

@kav2001c thanks for pointing that out.  FYI, I believe @SD08 has previously identified it, and it's on the issue list already.   EDIT: @Brooke_C responded while I was in the process of checking the list and responding.  Ooops!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @kav2001c, Thanks for pointing this out. We have noticed this small glitch as well and will be working to fix it over the next couple of weeks!

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@Brooke_C just wanted to point out another small bug; the emojis do not work in the Public Lab (but seem to work everywhere else, not sure why)

Cat Surprised

@SDO8 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

The "jumbotron" just serves no useful purpose, espeically at that large of a size, the advertising banner is just "too in your face",  and the featured topcis, latest topics, etc. are redudant since they are already available in inside each community forum category.  So in the end, people who regularly coming on here, are probably just quickly scrolling through and ignoring all of the "busyness" at the top anyway.  

While I agree about the wasted space and the "jumbotron," I do use the latest topics page a lot.  In fact, I visit that page more often than I go to the forum categories.  It's just more convenient to see all the latest topics collected together on one page, regardless of which category it came from.

Perhaps, that's just user preference.  Maybe, I don't have so much a problem with the content on that first page but rather how there just so much scrolling, so much wasted white space, and pure large size of everything.   If things were compacted more together in a way that required less scrolling, I'm probably be more okay with all the content (even if I don't always use it). 

The featured topics and new solutions sections looks to almost fit inside the "jumbotron" and if those two seconds were moved to go inside that large box, I think something simple such as that would go a long way to reduce the clutter and scrolling at least on that first page.

SD08

@computergeek541 wrote:

The "jumbotron" just serves no useful purpose, espeically at that large of a size, the advertising banner is just "too in your face",  and the featured topcis, latest topics, etc. are redudant since they are already available in inside each community forum category.  So in the end, people who regularly coming on here, are probably just quickly scrolling through and ignoring all of the "busyness" at the top anyway.  

While I agree about the wasted space and the "jumbotron," I do use the latest topics page a lot.  In fact, I visit that page more often than I go to the forum categories.  It's just more convenient to see all the latest topics collected together on one page, regardless of which category it came from.

@TheOldVR wrote:

@neo911 wrote:

Great to see revamped site of PM Community.

But I am still lost. Am sure it will take some time to get used to the new layout and UI.

One suggestion- can you reduce the white spaces and spaces between lines/content? It feels like you have to scroll a lot to read even one post. I loved the compact feel the earlier site had.

Sorry peeps..... I know it's probably just me but the new layout isn't workin.

I'm not sure if it's just a case of too much general stuff while missing the stuff I actually want to look at.... or if my brain just refuses to process the new page.

Either way.... Happy Monday all!

It's not just you. Especially the first community home/land page is much too busy.  I think you actually have to scroll through 3 pages before you actually get into the main part of the forum categories. There's just too much "junk" at the top.  One member called the top part a "jumbotron", a huge, pretty much useless banner at the top saying "welcome ot the community" which I suspect will soon contain advertising, a bunch of stickied threads/featured topcs, recent posts, bravo statistics, latest topics, and another huge eyesoring advertisement (Orchard)  banner.

I do understand the need to advertise but the way it has been done is hampering the community's user experience.  The "jumbotron" just serves no useful purpose, espeically at that large of a size, the advertising banner is just "too in your face",  and the featured topcis, latest topics, etc. are redudant since they are already available in inside each community forum category.  So in the end, people who regularly coming on here, are probably just quickly scrolling through and ignoring all of the "busyness" at the top anyway.

TheOldVR

@neo911 wrote:

But I am still lost. Am sure it will take some time to get used to the new layout and UI.

One suggestion- can you reduce the white spaces and spaces between lines/content? It feels like you have to scroll a lot to read even one post. I loved the compact feel the earlier site had.

Sorry peeps..... I know it's probably just me but the new layout isn't workin.

I'm not sure if it's just a case of too much general stuff while missing the stuff I actually want to look at.... or if my brain just refuses to process the new page.

Either way.... Happy Monday all!

neo911
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

More_Chaos
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
I concur. I'm brand new to PM, and I don't know where to look in the community for what's going on if I'm not actively searching a topic. Right now, I'm just randomly scrolling and clicking.

I haven't used the desktop site yet, so I don't know about the white space issue there, but the spacing on the mobile site is tolerable (though some areas don't need THAT much spacing in between items...)

@Brooke_C,

I've had a chance now to use the new layout on multiple devices, and I can't believe I'm going to say this, even with my vision impairments, I love the forum, when I'm using my iPadAir running iOS 10.2, and the latest version of Chrome browser.  It is truly a beautiful interface, and the pinch-to-zoom feature of the iPad works flawlessly.  A super job done by the team.

however, there is always the other side of the story...

On my MacBook Air, using chrome again, it's still beautiful, however the flow is somehow different.  I will still use this platform as my preferred backup, and I will still use it for any self-serve usage.

i also have used the forum on a Windows 7 computer, with Chrome fully patched, and this is not beautiful, and not easy to navigate.  This may be possibly agrivated by my zooming software, and the dimensions of my chrome window.  I've been experimenting with different fonts as the default is just unreadable for any stretch of time.

i do appreaciate all the work of the developers, and happy to see input from the community has been included and thought about.

im looking forward to future changes, and hope I will be ble to enjoy my experience on all devices as much as I do on my iPad.

SD08

@NDesai wrote:

Found the option to sort topics by Topic Start Date OR by Latest Post date. Not sure if this was available previously. 

Spoiler
Untitled.png

Now, i wish this option was available in Latest Topic section so we can sort topics by Latest Posts. 

@NDesai

Recently, I discovered that we could set in our account preferences how the topics were sorted by default in the individual fora (e.g Discussions, Rewards, Getting Started...).  See pic:
PublicMobileForumSettingsTopicSort.jpg
Unfortunately, this setting doesn't seem to apply to the "Latest Topics" page.  For that page, there's not even an options menu.  No matter what you've set in your preferences, the Latest Topics page seems to always sort by topic start date. Ideally, we should have a choice of either, and it should be applied to all topics pages.

Found the option to sort topics by Topic Start Date OR by Latest Post date. Not sure if this was available previously. 

Spoiler
Untitled.png

Now, i wish this option was available in Latest Topic section so we can sort topics by Latest Posts. 

@srlawren wrote:
@Brooke_C I just edited my first post from mobile without needing to request the desktop site first! It's funny how the small things can be so meaningful, as this was a big pain on the old mobile version of the community. 🙂

Have you edited your post recently on mobile site? Any leftover spacing is showing as   which is a html code that breaks the line. And for some reason when you edit on mobile or desktop, the cursor would be in the Message Tags box.

TheOldVR

So I was one of the peeps asking for a new look.... not sure I'm used to this new version yet.

I'll just started but it seems like quite a bit of work to see what's new and where I might be able to help out.

hmmm....

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@srlawren, this is great to hear! I am glad that the experience was so much better! *happy dance*

Need Help? Let's chat.