cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Province-Wide Calling Plans + Limited-Time Offer on Canada-Wide Calling Plans

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

[Edited: Feb 16, 3:45PM EST]

Hey Community, 

Public Mobile is introducing some changes to our suite of rate plans. Effective February 16, 2021, we will offer two types of plans: plans that include Province-wide minutes, and plans that include unlimited Canada-wide minutes. The Canada-wide calling plans will be priced at an additional $5/month, compared to the Province-wide calling plans.  All of our plans will continue to offer Canada-wide data and unlimited international texting.

We never take the decision of changing our plans lightly.  That's why, for a limited time, we’re offering our Canada-wide plans at a $5 discount. That means customers who value Canada-wide calling can still access these plans at the original prices before they change. 

The introduction of a Province-wide calling plan comes as a result of our commitment to give you more options on features and provide savings to help you create and customize the plan that’s right for you.  If you don't value Canada-wide calling, you can still access our plans starting at $15 per month.  If you value Canada-wide calling, it will continue to be available for an additional $5 per month. 

See below for more details on our new plans: 

New province-wide calling plans: 

Province-Wide Calling

Monthly Rate

Province-wide Minutes

Data (*with 500MB Autopay)

$15

100 Minutes

250MB

$25

Unlimited

1GB*

$35

Unlimited

2.5GB*

$40

Unlimited

5GB*

$45

Unlimited

6.5GB*

$50

Unlimited

8.5GB

For more information on how province-wide calling works, check out this Help Article.

Concurrent with this launch, we are offering $5 off all Canada-wide rate plans for a limited time. 

Canada-wide calling plans:

*Current promotion: $5 off Canada-wide plans for a limited time

Canada-wide Calling

Monthly Rate

(*Promotion price)

Canada-wide Minutes

Data (*with 500MB Autopay)

$30 $25*

Unlimited

1GB*

$40 $35*

Unlimited

2.5GB*

$45 $40*

Unlimited

5GB*

$50 $45*

Unlimited

6.5GB*

$55 $50*

Unlimited + U.S. Talk

8.5GB

How to change your plan: 

1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select your preferred plan. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

FAQ’s:

What happens to existing customers’ plans?

There is no impact to existing customers' plans. All customers’ plans will be grandfathered, including those who had scheduled rate plan changes before this update. Note, if you change your plan you may not be able to go back to your previous plan if it is no longer available on our website. 

What is happening to the $15 plan?

All plans in the Canada-wide suite have unlimited Canada-wide minutes. The $15 limited talk plan will remain in the Province-wide suite and will have 100 Province-wide minutes with 250MB of AutoPay data bonus.

Can I buy an add-on with Canada-wide calling?

Yes, we currently have a $5 for 500 Canada-wide minutes add-on available which you can purchase in Self-Serve.

How does Province-wide Calling work?

For more information on province-wideon how province-wide calling works, check out this Help Article

To learn more about Public Mobile plans, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

641 REPLIES 641

@darlicious 

I am just saying, if the person who says the $15 plan will now cost $30 ($25 plan that will soon be $30) in order to get Canada wide calling, the current Canada wide $15 plan ONLY has 100 minutes maximum of Canada wide (or any) calling. Thus the person wasn’t going to do any more than 100 minutes per month, certainly not 8 hours. If they were then they were going to need the $5 add-on anyway. So it ISN’T a $15 increase from $15 to $30, at worst it is a $1 increase by adding the $5/500 minute add-on to get back the 100 minutes per month of Canada wide calling.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector 

Are you talking about ponkans and I'm talking about lukans ? I'm pretty sure a mandarin is a mandarin is a mandarin. Less than $20 and $16 is pretty much the same thing except you limited the talk to 100 minutes only.

@darlicious wrote:

@s_shard 

Do you talk "Canada-wide" more than 8 hours a month? Just add the $5/500min add on to the $15 plan. Extra minutes you don't use will roll over and you will end up paying less than $20 per month. Why pay 33% more "unlimited" when chances are you won't come close to even using 500 minutes?

Not on the $15 plan they aren’t. It only has 100 minutes of outgoing calling. So if all 100 minutes of the persons existing $15 plan were used for calling out of the persons province they would only need 100 of the 500 minutes per month included in the $5/500 minute add-on, thus $1 a month makes the $15 plan a Canada wide calling $16 plan.

AE_Collector

The higher-cost plans aren't selling Talk, they're selling Data. Talk customers and Data customers buy different things.

$15 Province-wide Limited-Talk plan

$25 Province-wide Unlimited-Talk plan, $30 Canada-wide Unlimited-Talk plan

$5 Canada-wide 500-minute-Talk add-on

Three of these add-ons = $15 = 25 hours of Canada-wide Talk (with unused rollover)

Some customers need to buy Unlimited-Talk because there's no limit to their talking, some customers want to buy Unlimited-Talk to gain "peace of mind" with a predictable controllable flat-rate monthly expense.

For the rest of us (the majority of PM "Talk customers", I think), it's quite obvious that a minimum-cost Talk plan plus some of these add-on minutes equals the best real value.

At least until PM inflates the add-on cost or restricts the add-on/plan compatibility.

amitbhagat
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks @Catherine_T

Really useful 

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Only problem with add-ons, especially those who use Canada wide fairly often, is having to constantly check how much you have left on your add on. If you need to call someone and you didn't realize you only had 7 minutes left, it won't just charge you per minute until your call ends, you're just cut off. Which isn't that bad unless you're maybe on hold with somewhere you'll lose your place. 

That's why upon sign up I picked the cheapest plan I wouldn't need to worry about that, the Canada wide $25 (I've since moved to the $30 2gb limited time deal, that one was too good to pass up!). Once the sale ends people are paying for that freedom/peace of mind, either via add on or higher cost of base plan. It's not cool at all for potential new users. 😕 I mean sure they may not know, but still, it sucks for them

(That all said I'm still paying less for more than koodo "loyalty" would offer me after they refused to correct a system mistake on their end and reinstate an add-on I had had for years. 8 years of loyalty and nothing but a "too bad for you", boiled my blood enough to switch lol)

@s_shard 

Do you talk "Canada-wide" more than 8 hours a month? Just add the $5/500min add on to the $15 plan. Extra minutes you don't use will roll over and you will end up paying less than $20 per month. Why pay 33% more "unlimited" when chances are you won't come close to even using 500 minutes?

@s_shard 

It's kind of obvious that this whole +$5 Canada-wide thing is, at least in part, meant to distract us away from realizing the lowest-cost highest-value plans are being killed.

But new customers won't be aware of that once a "limited time" has passed and all the legacies are wiped off PM's Plans page.

s_shard
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I understand that prices need to go up eventually.  My problem is that there's no $15 + 5 = $20 Canada wide plan.  The cheapest Canada wide plan doubled from $15 to $30 since there is now no 100 min/month Canada wide plan.  The $25 sale is still a $10 price increase for the cheapest Canada wide plan, and this sale ends soon.  Someone just looking for the most basic Canada wide plan now has to pay twice as much or choose a different carrier.  There should at least be a $20 Canada wide plan like how all the other plans were increased by $5.

s_shard

The plan will be grandfathered.  If you already have the $15 Canada wide plan, you can keep it.

"FAQ’s:

What happens to existing customers’ plans?

There is no impact to existing customers' plans. All customers’ plans will be grandfathered, including those who had scheduled rate plan changes before this update."

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

😂😂😂😂😂more and more tricky to refer a friend. OMG

@LurganIeUk wrote:

I just checked My Account. Your referral code only shows.......no more link to start the activation process or to pre-fill the code. 😪

That leads me to believe that that when customers who are signing up go to the old activate.publicmobile.ca are redirected, the remainder of the address is now ignored - including the referal part.

I just checked My Account. Your referral code only shows.......no more link to start the activation process that includes the filling in of the referral code. 😪

@richie_b2 wrote:

According to some reports, Koodo has apparently walked back its plans to change some plans from Canada wide to province wide and is now offering Canada wide on all its plans as before. Will Public Mobile be doing likewise?

Currently, there are no immediately plans for Public Mobile to do this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dboxtvinfo715 : Who and what are you replying to? The $10 plan is long gone though.

dboxtvinfo715
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

no data needed its perfect for text only

dboxtvinfo715

where the 10 dollar plan

dboxtvinfo715

canada wide but not usa

Anonymous
Not applicable

@richie_b2 : Several on-going threads on that. But only the big-wigs would know anything. And they don't throw trial-balloons around here for laughs.

@richie_b2 wrote:

According to some reports, Koodo has apparently walked back its plans to change some plans from Canada wide to province wide and is now offering Canada wide on all its plans as before. Will Public Mobile be doing likewise?

Koodo's post-paid plans include Canada-wide.

Koodo's pre-paid plans include province-wide.

Public mobile only offers pre-paid, so it's not really a good comparison/indicator yet. If anything, it's being used as an incentive to move up from pre-paid to post-paid...

richie_b2

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Do you know when these new offers will expire?

In the past, "Limited Time" has ranged between "until next weekend" and "until next season".

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@59 

That is the million-dollar question. Some believe around March 16th.

Thanks so much for your clear responses.

Do you know when these new offers will expire?

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@59 wrote:

I have questions about three differents accounts:

1. 30 dollar account, if I change it to the 25 dollar account, do I keep my rewards, discounts  and bonus gb and international minutes. Will I always keep the unlimited canada wide minutes?

2.  30 dollar account, if I change it to the 35 dollar account, do I keep my rewards, discounts  international minutes. Will I always keep the unlimited canada wide minutes?

3. 15 dollar account does not have unlimited canada wide and it was purchased 1 year ago. The above email said that all 15 dollar accounts had unlimited Canada wide?

Hi @59 

#1 - Plan $30, if you change to the $25 Plan which is on sale right now, you keep all your rewards and free bonus gb and international minutes we got last Christmas.  What discounts do you have?  If it is with your present plan, you might lose that discount.  Once you changed to the Canada-wide $25 plan, your plan will not change unless you change your plan.  

Canada wide plans  25 and 35.png

#2 - Plan 30 to upgrade to present $35.  You will keep all your rewards and freebies, but discounts it depends if attached to your present plan.

#3 - Plan $15.  I have a $15 plan with 100 Canada-wide minutes and unlimited incoming calls and texts.  Are you sure that your $15 plan do not have the 100 Canada-wide minutes?  I you do, our $15 plan has been grandfathered, meaning we keep our plan as is until we change plans .

If you have further questions, just ask

RosieR

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@59 wrote:

1. 30 dollar account, if I change it to the 25 dollar account, do I keep my rewards, discounts  and bonus gb and international minutes. Will I always keep the unlimited canada wide minutes?

Rewards will stay - they are account based, not plan based.  The bonus add-ons are believed to remain on the account.  The unlimited Canada-wide minutes would stay so long as PM doesn't make a future change to existing plans.

2.  30 dollar account, if I change it to the 35 dollar account, do I keep my rewards, discounts  international minutes. Will I always keep the unlimited canada wide minutes?

Rewards will stay - they are account based, not plan based.  The bonus add-ons are believed to remain on the account.  The unlimited Canada-wide minutes would stay so long as PM doesn't make a future change to existing plans.

3. 15 dollar account does not have unlimited canada wide and it was purchased 1 year ago. The above email said that all 15 dollar accounts had unlimited Canada wide?

The most recent version of the $15 plan (up to mid-February 2021) included Canada-wide calling.   It has unlimited incoming minutes, however only 100 outgoing minutes.  It is only available to customers who were ON the plan prior to mid-February.   

@59 wrote:

1 and 2:  Changing your plan won't change your rewards. Add-ons will also remain. Canada-wide calling remains as long as you keep  the plan that includes it.

3. You can keep that $15 plan. It still has Canada-wide calling.

@Anonymous 

Aw, it's just a little harmless lust and appreciation. Accept the compliment.

But at the end of the day I'll stay with my trusty old "3G speed" plan. I've become rather attached to it and we work well together. Plus I prefer my data sessions to have some endurance.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth : Eyes up here 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.